BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Small barbell eyes to tie clousers?

As I stated in my post from this weekend, the fish were big eneough to hit larger flies but didn't. They were keyed in on small bait and would only hit the smallest clouser that I had in my arsenal. After losing it to a fish, I didn't get much action.

Any help would be appreciated...free clousers would be appreciated more. ;)

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Steve, how about some small jiggies, they are almost like a clouser and with the longer shank hook you get less bite offs. I have good luck with them on the beach front with weakies and bass. (that was last year) Haven't seen a weakie in a long time.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ray,

I'm sure they would work it's just that I don't have any hardware for small flies. Everything I have is geared toward larger flies. When I say small, I mean 1 to 1-1/2 inches long. I don't even have any hooks that small. Dave tied the one I was using.

More than likely, the fish will start hitting the bigger flies soon anyway. I was just trying to build up my selection for those times when I need to scale down. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Steve...Email me your adress and Ill send you a bunch of small and REALLY small eyes. Maybe Ill tie up a few...tell me colors too.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Steve,
I can definately tie you up some more tiny clousers or crazy charlies, possibly tonight if I'm not busy. I'll be in West Virginia tomorrow until the weekend, but if you're down on the weekend I'll drive by and give them to you. Hopefully the fish will still be on the small stuff. I don't have the hardware to do tiny jiggies, though (all big coneheads, unless I use freshwater beadheads). I have some tiny bead-chain and dumbbell eyes and #8 saltwater hooks that make great little shrimpy clousers.

Ray,
Pretty much at that small hook size all blues will bite you off. Jiggy or clouser doesn't make a difference. I agree, though, that on larger hooks jiggies tend to act as a better bite guard moreso than clousers.

[ 09-28-2004, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hip,

You have mail, thanks.

Dave,

I'm excited that the fish have started to become active, I'll be down sat/sun and fishing both days. Let me know if you want to fish.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Steve,

Sorry I can't help you with the free clousers. If the barn sponsers don't have small dumbell eyes you can order them from Cabela's. For the really small flies, I use bead chain eyes. Cabela's carries the bead chain also.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Logic,

I was only kidding about the freebies, I can tie my own if I get the small eyes.

I don't think many of the Barn sponsors carry a large selection of tying material. Thanks for the heads up on Cabelas.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Steve, if the back bay doesn't start heating up you will be seeing alot more flys in your area and they won't be greenheads. You may just have to take a number to get a spot where you fish.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Here are two of the small patterns I tie up to imitate shrimp/anchovy/spearing. These are actually pretty large (about 2"). I sometimes tie them down to less than 1". I use various colors and materials, not just what is on these two.

Black Bucktail Bend-Back

Super Hair Crazy Charlie/Clouser hybrid

I would have used something better as a backdrop if I had more time on my lunch break to take the pics (other than my woodpile :D ). These are somewhat used flies, so they don't look as good as brand new.

Steve:
Cabelas, Hunters Angling Supply, and even Dicks carries bead chains. I also go to Home Depot in the light fixture section to get the big chains for huge eyes for surf whistlers and stuff. You can't find them in fly stores that large ;) . They don't have the tiny ones, though. They are the best to use when you want tiny, lightweight eyes. I also have 1/32 oz dumbbell eyes for freshwater clousers that are heavier than bead chains of the same or larger size.

I'll see what I'm doing this weekend. I should be able to get out to the spot, though, barring any unforeseen incidents.

[ 09-28-2004, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ray,

You know that you are always welcome to fish the flats with me, I'd love the company since few of my neighbors use lures and none flyfish.

Dave,

Thanks for the info and I hope to see you this weekend. I'll be home friday night if you want to call the house before I head down for the weekend. I could stop by on Saturday if you can't make it out on the water.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Steve,

I meant to put a smiley face after my note on the freebies. I knew you were joking on that one.

Ty R,

I think I am going to "borrow" your charlie/clouser hybrid pattern for my trip to the Keys in November. It looks like it would attract some bones.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
You want tying instructions? Here is the quick and painful run-down for the hybrid in the pic:

Hook: #4 Gamakatsu 3x strong
Thread: Superfine clear mono
Wing: Olive Superhair
Body: Olive Larvalace Ribbing Material
Flash: Pearl Flashabou Mirage
Eyes: Small Bead-Chain

-Put the hook in the vice in the standard way (hook bend down).

-Tie the eyes onto the top of the hook like a clouser.

-Run the thread back to the hook bend.

-Tie in the ribbing material. Then tie in a few strands of flashabou at its midpoint.

-Wrap the thread back up behind the eyes and, taking both ends of the flashabou in your fingers, wind it up the shank and back, back and forth over itself until you run out of flash. Tie it off behind the eyes.

-Wrap the ribbing up to the eyes, making sure to leave no gaps between the wraps and making a nice segmented body. Tie it off behind the eyes.

-Flip the hook over (rotary vices are nice for this, but you can manually do it if you don't have one). Bring the thread up in front of the eyes.

-Tie in a sparse amount of Super Hair, don't worry about the length, but keep it longer than you think you'll need. Make sure it all stays on the top of the hook and angles upwards, or it will flip in the water.

-Tie in a few strands of flashabou Mirage at its midpoint on top of the Super Hair, then fold it over itself and secure it in.

-Tie in another sparse amount of Super Hair on top of that, keeping it longer than you need.

-Finish the head and whip finish.

-Trim the Super Hair wing with a taper (important!!). I like to cut the tips of the tail to a blunt arrow-like point, then slowly round it out with the scissors with little snips here and there. This is a fairly standard method when using synthetics.

This fly takes me about 5 minutes to tie when I get up to speed, so that's why I like it. You can just about substitue all the materials I listed with something else if you want (eg. bucktail or calf tail to replace the Super Hair, any other type of flash, heavy guage mono to replace the ribbing, etc...)

[ 09-28-2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
789 Posts
Ty R,

Thanks for the recipe. I tied a few last night using craft fur for the wing, and two using olive bucktail. I will also try a few with superhair. I like to use materials that have a natural taper. Once I start tapering with scissors, the fly usually ends up in the trash can.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hip,

Holy sh*t, you sent me enough different eyes to keep me in clousers until I retire. Thanks for the quick response.

I'll be tying tonight for use tomorrow. I never knew that they made eyes that small.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
No Prob!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts