BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trolled everything we had from the Dog Lump to the Ham over to the AC Pots. Not even a knockdown. A guy I know got 3 king macks and a chicken dolphin around the same area. Found a hammerhead cruising the surface on the way in. Pitched him some baits but he wasnt interested. Seas were so calm and crystal clear you could see every. Saw lots of life just nothing biting my lures. Huges schools of bunker, bonita jumping, a huge leatherback turtle, a few sharks up top. Caught a few snapper blues casting some of the pots. A nice day (very hot if you stopped) but nothing to show for it. Still seems like it is pretty dead all over though.

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
I don't like the sounds of that report. I'm trolling the same areea on Wednesday. I'll be starting out with two Clark's behind 6 ounce drails on the outside lines and a cedar plug and green/yellow feathers on the flat lines. I'll switch up a little if I have to but that spread is usually good for bonito, blues, false albies and dolphin. I troll about 6-7 knots usually.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
That area has been chunked HARD the past few weeks.

Several boats out of IRM came back with lots of meat from those areas- on the chunk.

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
TooEZ - Are you talking about the Hambone off of Delaware and OC Maryland? Near the Hotdog? We're talking about an area between 10-15 miles off of Atlantic City, New Jersey.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
LOL!
Yes! Off DE/OCMD

I was once a Jersey boy... Fished out of Brielle.. I should have known.. BUT! Forgot to ask that question.

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
I've fished that area quite a bit in years past out of Indian River and OC Maryland. We're talking an inshore trolling spot up north here that's good for bonito, false albacore, bluefish, small dolphin, some mackerels and occasionally a football bluefin.

You're area has gotten us limits on slob yellowfin in the past. Has it heated up again? The hotdog was slow for a few years. I haven't heard anything about the jack spot lately. That used to be hot many moons ago.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Aquasport19,

The fish are out there. We fished yesterday around the San Jose wreck, just ene of the ac reef. We pulled 10-12 bonita and then fished the wreck for a few hours. Ended up with 8 nice ling and 5 fluke 17-24 inches. We trolled in back towards LEI and we hit another 12-15 Bonita, both in the deep hole, up in 70 feet of water and father in. We were running 7 to 8 knots and the bark colors (black/red, black/purple) were favorites with clark spoons behind a 10 ounce trolling sinker. We were hitting doubles and one of the last fish we caught was following a hooked fish as it hit a black/red feather on a flat line clip as I pulled the hooked fish past it trying not to get tangled.

We had a steady pick of Bonita from probably the San Jose in almost to the Flour Wreck. When I finally reeled in the last line and wound her up for the run in, we had 6 miles to the LE Bell. The San Jose was 15....

Chris Miller
CTALES III
Mystic Islands, NJ

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
Thanks for the report. Are the pots near the San Jose near enough to the wreck to spot by the eye from the wreck. I hear there are pots near it but I've not been there myself. If I run out to the numbers, will I find the pots? thanks.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
We fished that area yesterday and came back with 3 dolphin (6 to 8 lbs) and 3 king mackeral. Several of the macs hit our daisy chains high and cut them off. Would have caught more if we could have stayed longer.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This the Dog Lump/Ham 10-15 miles off Atlantic City NJ. Yes, some people did catch some stuff in that area, but I am just reporting what we caught. Seems people are quick on here to report when they catch fish, but a lot guys dont give reports when they get skunked. Sure, maybe 5 boats got some fish, but when 40 are fishing the area, that isnt too good. We tried everything: cedars, feathers of all colors, spoons, tuna clones, rebels, birds, no birds, big skirts, little skirts, 7kts, 6 knts, 8 knts, nothing. Just bad luck I guess. I will tell you that a lot of people on the radio seemed to have similar luck though. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Scott,

There is a pot line that runs right along the west side of the wreck. I am surprised that the lobster guy does not get his gear hung up. It made it easy to run back and take another drift as I used a float as a "marker bouy". We got hung in the wreck a few times by the mystery bite that pulls you immediately into a hole. It was one of those rare calm days with no winds and light current that we could just bounce the sinkers up and over the structure.

Yesterday was a vast improvement over a trip 3 weeks ago that we worked that area and out to the ac ridge w/o a knock down followed by a trip to the sea isle ridge (small blues) and the following week to the Barnegat ridge (last monday) that we only ended up with 5 Bonita. Maybe the inshore action is kicking in. I saw some baby butterfish being spit up yesterday. That is usually a good sign.

Chris Miller
CTALES III
Mystic Islands, NJ

·
Registered
266 Posts
Tripple Lumps Saturday

I trolled the Ham, Tripple Lumps, 90' hole with one small tunney. We ran over toward the AC reef and scored one decent Bonito. I confess I just couldn't find em. Glad someone got em.

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts