BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone remember memorial day weekend off island beach? when i first got there, i was about 1/2 mile north of two boats and i could see fish busting on bunker from them to me and then look up the beach and see them busting for at least another 1/4 to 1/2 mile. 3 of us had 32 fish by 8am and left them biting. we kept 3 fish and released the rest, one of which was 48"--that is bordering the 50lb mark. the 3 fish we kept were 20+lbs and don't recall seeing any smaller ones. we decided to leave after having to drop the antennas for someone in another boat to fight their fish over my t-top. when we left there were at least 80-100 boats there (most likely more). i can't imagine how many fish were killed that day, but i know the gene pool was a lot shallower.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Does anyone remember memorial day weekend off island beach? when i first got there, i was about 1/2 mile north of two boats and i could see fish busting on bunker from them to me and then look up the beach and see them busting for at least another 1/4 to 1/2 mile. 3 of us had 32 fish by 8am and left them biting. we kept 3 fish and released the rest, one of which was 48"--that is bordering the 50lb mark. the 3 fish we kept were 20+lbs and don't recall seeing any smaller ones. we decided to leave after having to drop the antennas for someone in another boat to fight their fish over my t-top. when we left there were at least 80-100 boats there (most likely more). i can't imagine how many fish were killed that day, but i know the gene pool was a lot shallower.
Not sure what to make of your post. You call it a slaughter, but yet you were a part of it. I'm just sayin'......

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure what to make of your post. You call it a slaughter, but yet you were a part of it. I'm just sayin'......

i don't know why i need to explain this. i am saying that just as many big fish get killed up here in jersey each year. if the guys are outside of 3 miles shame on them, but if they are catching their fish legally it is tough to knock 'em.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
if the guys are outside of 3 miles shame on them, but if they are catching their fish legally it is tough to knock 'em.
Well it will be our turn to knock em when there is another moratorum put into place for over fishing...:fighting:

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Not condoning what happens on the Jersey coast each spring (from the DBay chunking to the NNJ snag and drop) but I think one of the main points of these threads is that the fishing in Virginia is happening well outside of 3 miles.

You kept (3) 20# bass you caught a half mile off the beach, and, as much as I think (3) 20# bass is more than you should take in a day you did catch them legally and I am not going to bust your balls about it. If you killed (3) 20# bass on bunker 4 miles off the coast, well then I would bust your balls about it.

*Edit - misread your initial post about being a half mile off the beach. You never said how far off the beach you were, is it ball busting time?

RyanF

·
Registered
62,423 Posts
Has anyone else seen a 1 DAY CATCH like this in NJ? I haven't.

57 lb Striper caught by Dean Winstead of Chester, VA
54 lb Striper caught by Jennifer Cash of Virginia Beach, VA

52 lb Striper caught by Ray Pennell of Renton, NC
52 lb Striper caught by Adam Lehnert of Glen Allen, VA
50 lb Striper caught by Randy F. Berrier of Winston-Salem, NC
50 lb Striper caught by Jeffrey Mason of Manassas, VA

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Has anyone else seen a 1 DAY CATCH like this in NJ? I haven't.

57 lb Striper caught by Dean Winstead of Chester, VA
54 lb Striper caught by Jennifer Cash of Virginia Beach, VA
52 lb Striper caught by Ray Pennell of Renton, NC
52 lb Striper caught by Adam Lehnert of Glen Allen, VA
50 lb Striper caught by Randy F. Berrier of Winston-Salem, NC
50 lb Striper caught by Jeffrey Mason of Manassas, VA
Another good point. VA may have more in the 50# club than any other state? Imagine that, far from fabled striper grounds.

This brings up something to think about. What state has the most 50# club members from the sand? From a private boat? From a charter boat?

RyanF

·
Registered
62,423 Posts
6 reported 50 lbers in 1 day. ONE DAY!!!!!!

Seriously, do we hear of 6 50 lbers all year here on the Barn? Yes, I know, not every 50 lber makes it to the Barn, but I bet not every 50 lber was reported in VA either.

Seriously, do we hear of 6 50 lbers from NJ in an entire year?

·
Registered
13,178 Posts
I've been to VA and NC many times for the winter fishery. I have never seen anything like it when it is on! It's the main migration of stripers in one area of all sizes. for 1 mile they could all be 28-34" fish and 1 mile away it could be 30-40lbers every cast..and with lures too...not live bait...that is what makes it special! Feels reel good to let a 30lb plus bass go too!

·
Registered
822 Posts
All the big girls being caught off of Va Bch right now are 30-35 miles out. 40+ inchers. Full cooperation among the charters on unknown boats approaching and routes back to the beach around suspected DNR boats. Info is of 1 day ago.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
The difference between Jersey and Virginia when the fish are in Jersey they are migrating ,one day they are there the next they are not, the fish off of Virginia are wintering there, schooled up waiting for the water temps and time of year to tell them to SPAWN, it's stupid fishing and some day we will pay the price for what goes on there every winter legal or not.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Virginia #1, NJ# 2, MD OR NY #3 ......
Obviously boats.

Iggy good point. Could you imagine having a month plus knowing where the bass and NOT MOVING? Whether they are heading north or running into or out of the rivers on the spawn it has to be pretty easy to dial them in. But then, you have to think the same thing happens up north late summer, no? I hear about big fish on a regular basis but nothing like this.

RyanF

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
This is so close to the truth as I have seen it happen in past

IGGY2

The difference between Jersey and Virginia when the fish are in Jersey they are migrating ,one day they are there the next they are not, the fish off of Virginia are wintering there, schooled up waiting for the water temps and time of year to tell them to SPAWN, it's stupid fishing and some day we will pay the price for what goes on there every winter legal or not.

This is so close to the truth and it will only be a matter of time until the bass fishing returns to what it was like in the early 80's. If Virginia and Maryland did not put the 5 year moratorium on striper fishing back then we would not have the fishing we have now.
Throw in the Delaware Bay chunking on cows and the great spring run up northern NJ and these breeders do not have much of a chance over time.
This also makes for a really tough situation for the charter captains I have talked too down at the VA Beach Fishng Center who fish legally and there is no way they can compete with the boats fishing offshore.

What I find hard to understand is why do paying customers seem to feel it is okay to fish illegally as long as they catch fish without any regard for the law. I personally would never want to be on a charter that breaks the law and please do not tell me most anglers do not know the law about fishing in Federal waters. this larger cows will take a it soon when they start to migrate up the bay to spawn as VA allows a commerical season on these cows plus the smaller under 28 inch fish soon.

My answer is open up the Federal waters to catch and release on these size cows and only allow one per angler over 45 inches per season in Jan and Feb and it has to have a trophy tag when brought back to the dock or the fine is $5,000 per fish and you go to Federal court not a local one where you just get a little slap on the hand. Put some teeth in the law and that will stop this everywhere. I personally would allow some smaller slot size fish to be taken in Federal waters that would allow every angler to take some meet home but the breeders should be protected. I would apply this to NJ and points north also as it makes no sense to me if legal smaller fish are caught on the Rips or out at the bank as long as the anglers comply with current regulations which need to be changed to protect the cows and allow more smaller size ones to be kept.

Probably the best option is just take a picture and release the breeders no matter where ever you fish and if more anglers did this it would go a long ways towards providing a healthy future for our precious stripers.

·
Registered
531 Posts
This is so close to the truth and it will only be a matter of time until the bass fishing returns to what it was like in the early 80's. If Virginia and Maryland did not put the 5 year moratorium on striper fishing back then we would not have the fishing we have now.
Throw in the Delaware Bay chunking on cows and the great spring run up northern NJ and these breeders do not have much of a chance over time.
This also makes for a really tough situation for the charter captains I have talked too down at the VA Beach Fishng Center who fish legally and there is no way they can compete with the boats fishing offshore.

What I find hard to understand is why do paying customers seem to feel it is okay to fish illegally as long as they catch fish without any regard for the law. I personally would never want to be on a charter that breaks the law and please do not tell me most anglers do not know the law about fishing in Federal waters. this larger cows will take a it soon when they start to migrate up the bay to spawn as VA allows a commerical season on these cows plus the smaller under 28 inch fish soon.

My answer is open up the Federal waters to catch and release on these size cows and only allow one per angler over 45 inches per season in Jan and Feb and it has to have a trophy tag when brought back to the dock or the fine is $5,000 per fish and you go to Federal court not a local one where you just get a little slap on the hand. Put some teeth in the law and that will stop this everywhere. I personally would allow some smaller slot size fish to be taken in Federal waters that would allow every angler to take some meet home but the breeders should be protected. I would apply this to NJ and points north also as it makes no sense to me if legal smaller fish are caught on the Rips or out at the bank as long as the anglers comply with current regulations which need to be changed to protect the cows and allow more smaller size ones to be kept.

Probably the best option is just take a picture and release the breeders no matter where ever you fish and if more anglers did this it would go a long ways towards providing a healthy future for our precious stripers.
Excellent post. I still say that to get these guys the VA and MD Fish and Wildlife should pose as regular fishermen and go out with the ones that are suspected of violating the EEZ regulations.

·
Registered
39 Posts
a dead bass is a dead bass! it does not matter if is caught and kept 30 miles out or in the surf! it is dead and it will not be spawning. one fish 24-34", and fine captains big money as well as fisherman! you want a mount? 500.00 for a real trophy tag, one a year. the good old days are coming, it will thin out the people who hunt for bass. the blinders are on! follow the money.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.