BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Good luck in your search. I have looking for 10lber all my life.

[ 08-20-2004, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: A Frayed Knot ]

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LET ME TRY AGAIN SINCE SOME PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE WISE [email protected]#$%. I READ(FISHERMAN MAGAZINE) THAT THE GE REEF WAS PRODUCING SOME NICE FISH. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD SOME EXPERIENCE WITH THIS LOCATION AND COULD PROVIDE SOME SMART INFORMATION INSTEAD OF DUDE IF YOU FIND OUT LET ME KNOW NONSENSE.I WAS WONDERING HOW FAR FROM LONGPORT THIS LOCATION WAS AND WHAT BAITS WERE BEING USED.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I am sorry about that. The reefs a little to the north of you producing nicely. Long squid stips with a minnow and spearing have been working for me. I use rigs with different color teasers. This past week white was the way to go. I would buy a chart and do some research before you try it out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been fishing since I was five (then out of Otten's Harbor) with my father. (oh my G&$, that's 50 years!) In all those years we caught a lot of flatties. I remember a big galvanized washtub of ice in the trunk of dad's '53 Buick loaded with flounder and porgies. I, nor dad, ever managed to land a 10 pounder. Ah, maybe that's something to do when I retire! Good luck! It's great to watch this forum and find out that folks REALLY DO catch those miracle fish.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You might want to try the Ocean City reef, it's closer to the GE inlet than the GE reef. Most folks drift it since it's spread out but if you can zero in on a tank and anchor accurately you'll do well with seabass and tog. Drift for the fluke.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
The GE Reef is still producing but everyday is diferent and every tide is different. If its slow hit the OC reef. If thats slow hit the lobster pots. If thats slow try the coral bottom. They all should be in reach for you. Drift it you'll find them. Check out your charts. I think its (GE Reef) a 121 or 122 if you run the rock pile. You can easily do it in you 20'wa on the right day, most likely sunday. Long Squid strips, big fat minnows, spearing, on fish finder rigs. Try to cast net some live peanut bunker or even better mullets. Its called fishing not catching and hopefully you know better then to really expect someone to give up their exact honeyhole #'s on a public format like this.

How did you get the name 'flukesnatcher' if you need our help to find them LOL. You should know all the tricks and spots with a name like that.

[ 08-20-2004, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: jbones11 ]

·
Registered
81 Posts
I fish the GE reef quite a bit in August. It was slow through July and the weather hasn't let me out there the lat few weeks. I got an 8lb flattie in June in the back bay and we usually get at least 1 clost to teh 10lb range each year. GE reef is quite a haul for you. I think you would do better finding structure anywhere from 60 to 90 ft of water. My best spot is a little wreck of Brigantine that sits in 80-90 ft of water. I usually drift over it short drifts using Mackeral and squid.

·
Registered
243 Posts
GE Reef is about 8 miles from the Longport jetty. It is a great spot for flounder, but I have not been there yet this year due to engine trouble. Hoping for Sunday as the mechanic says I am fixed up, but weather has been so snotty and it is my sons birthday. (I hope he wants a fishing trip).
The reef can be hot or cold, just put your time in. It doesn't really turn on until mid august for flounder, so right now should be good.
Tight lines

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Welcome flouder Bob.

I too am from Linwood.
Hope you get that engine problem solved. Where do you put in or have a slip at ??

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Welcome flounder Bob.

I too am from Linwood.
Hope you get that engine problem solved. Where do you put in or have a slip at ??

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
25 fish over 6 is impressive!! you ought to be somewhat content until Mr. Mat arrives. Looks like the wind is going to lay down tonight. Tomorrow will be the day if you plan on the GE. Don't get married to being in the fleet and if you find a couple fish, mark em on the GPS and go over them again and again.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Flukesnatcher - Twenty five over six pounds - wow - Were they out front or in the bay?

·
Registered
121 Posts
the best place i can think of for a tru door mat would be the channels in raritan bay the fall run i know of 4 over 10# this year. 1 was over 12# i caught 1 ther 10.8# some years ago that same day a friend caught a 14# .last year ther were many fluke caught over 10# how about 14# 16#. i put 13 fish in the box yesterday 18 to 27.5" was in the jcsa tourny that fish went 7.6# missed last place by 2oz to a fish that went 7.8# .when i left the leader was only 9.5#. ;) oops just found out 1 more came in so 4th was 8.3#

[ 08-23-2004, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: fishnjbass ]

·
Registered
799 Posts
You may want to try a bait change.
Right now if you can even poorly throw a castnet you should be able to get some peanut bunker.
They usually are ggod for the larger flatties.
Also bluefish. My nephew got a 10lber last year on a long bluefish strip.
Natually a long sandshark/seaRobin or flounder fillet will also work.
The strips should be in the 8-10" range.
Since you are geting some 6lbers your using the right rigs and are generally in the right area. Now you just need to get the size bait that will get that big one to chase ypur bait.
As afr as the reefs the reports I've been reading show that the fish are in the rubble.
So thats where I would target. Bridge rubble is the best for flounder followed by the reef balls. I haven't done well by the tanks.
Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.