BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do all my own reel work,cleaning and regreasing etc etc. only thing I really haven't done is drag stuff, when it comes to spinning reels what, if anything should I do to my drag

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
On my reels that don't have sealed drags, I remove the spring clip that holds them remove the washers, (Be mindful of the order they come out) clean them really well ( remove rust spots with ultra fine steel wool , salt, stains) Spray w/ WD 40 Wipe them really well so there is just the thinest of film on them and replace them in the same order they came out replace the spring clip. Done....The reels with sealed drags I don't touch.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the shimano BTR6500B have a sealed drag?? Thats the reel I'm on now, the others are cleaned and will be greased up a little closer to the season... I can't remember and can't find specs anywhere since they've been discontinued...they don't even have the schematics on their website, the have the old A models and the new D models but not the B

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think servicing the drag is extremely important. I do it when I do the inside body. I'm servicing my VS150 and the drag is a piece of cake. They even have a video and sell a service kit on their website. When I did it last year it was as smooth as a baby's bottom. The only hard part (about a VS) drag system is there are 2 bearings-top & bottom. The top comes out extremely easily, but the bottom is a press fit. Getting it out takes some time, but banging it back in can be a challenge. I just recommend leaving it alone unless it's shot. If it needs to be replaced ask a friend or a local machine shop if they'll press it in for you- I'm sure they wouldn't charge more than a couple of bucks it's a 2 minute job.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Hey Jim they've got a guy at Harry's who can do it.I don't touch my Stradic I have him do it.Cost me like $20.I do all my other reels but the Stradic has to many small parts to monkey with.

FC

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Hey Jim they've got a guy at Harry's who can do it.I don't touch my Stradic I have him do it.Cost me like $20.I do all my other reels but the Stradic has to many small parts to monkey with.

FC

My Stadics are as good as they, were when I first bought them I use them for plugging and if they needed service I would definitely have a pro do them...You always get what you pay for.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
My Stadics are as good as they, were when I first bought them I use them for plugging and if they needed service I would definitely have a pro do them...You always get what you pay for.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work
I agree the guy I'm talking about is a Shimano rep who services all of Harry's shimano clients.I thought it was a great deal!!

FC

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I don't have many shimano's I have a love hate relationship with them, love my baitrunner and the calcutta, every other one I've bought has been junk...but I've only bought the cheaper ones. Blew a Sedona out in 4 months, but then again its a small reel that probabaly wasn't built to handle bass in current, thinking of replacing it with either a stradic or cabo
This yr was the first year I took the baitrunner apart, took the cover off once and went :eek::eek::eek:.....nevermind, but it was actually pretty simple to do. My other reels are really simple, like my penn 704 and slammer are cake, only reels I really won't touch are conventionals

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
I don't have many shimano's I have a love hate relationship with them, love my baitrunner and the calcutta, every other one I've bought has been junk...but I've only bought the cheaper ones. Blew a Sedona out in 4 months, but then again its a small reel that probabaly wasn't built to handle bass in current, thinking of replacing it with either a stradic or cabo
This yr was the first year I took the baitrunner apart, took the cover off once and went :eek::eek::eek:.....nevermind, but it was actually pretty simple to do. My other reels are really simple, like my penn 704 and slammer are cake, only reels I really won't touch are conventionals

large conventional Penn reels aren't too hard to service, done them quite a few times..But, when you get to the smaller baitcasters, thats a different story. I send them in for service they have way too many small parts hard to get back into place correctly.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.