BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was an absolutely gorgeous Bluebird day on the upper Chesapeake Bay. I had Mr. Gary Haley (aka FISH ON! - Haley) for an afternoon spin on the Susquehanna Flats. We had flat calm waters, clear blue skies and 600 gazillion stripers! ok, maybe somewhere around 100, we lost count.

My pic posting abilities have somehow taken a dump at the worst possible moment. Somebody post 'em on here for me! I'll email 'em.

Todays typical schoolie was a bit larger than Mondays. Got a good pic of Gary holding his first striped bass of the season.
Best weapon of choice, 5 and 7 inch Bass Assassin in Chartreuse Glitter.

Air temps low 60s, water temps low 50s, most fish caught in 8 - 9 ft depths. Got a fishfinder shot too.

The Flats are on fire for light tackle nonstop action! The big girls are gonna show in a matter of days.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Another good day Capt Ed, great job and real nice pictures. I've always rigged my BA's with the fuller side of the body facing the opposite way you have them rigged, I'll have to give it a try to see if it makes any difference.

I'll be making a trip to the flats on Friday afternoon so hope the bigger fish move up and the boat traffic isnt too bad.

Good fishing :cool:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear ya DP. Seems like the "belly" oughta go down, I do it both ways. Did not make any difference yesterday...at one point you coulda caught 'em on anything you threw at 'em. For fun, we caught fish on rattletraps, storm shads, crystal minnow, different color BAs. Tried topwater for the hell of it - no takers yet. Also tried a really large plug/shallow runner - not takers on that either. The next two days will drastically warm the Flats and surrounding shallows and the patterns will change. I gotta think big fish reports will surface between now and Monday.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi Capt Ed...
Great Day was had by all. I left at 2:30 for a meeting in Balt with sore arms...Did get 2 @ 30" to the boat...Catch 25 to get 1 good fish seemed like the ticket...

Turned around a high tide for a while then we had some yahoos run hard through the pack...scattered the fish.

Remember all...Please run slow through the fleet. Flat's fish "spook" easy and you will ruin the bite for everybody. Spread the word. Go aroung the fleet and get back into the drift...

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It got a little "busy" late in the day when guys started getting off work and converging on the hot spots.
Croixboy said he had a school to himself away from the fleet. As it gets busier out there tactics will have to change.
Glad you had a good day! and good points about motoring around.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Is where you fish always that flat? If so, I could run my boat up there! Nice job

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Nice work!! Are the flats doable in a small aluminum boat? My friend has a 16footer that we could trailor down. Were would be the best ramp to launch it?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On a nice day like yesterday it's extemely doable.
16 footer would work just fine in calm or light winds. I launch on the eastern side and could give you some directions. shoot me an email.
Cisco could probably offer several suggestions from the western side.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Real good info Capt Ed and Cisco, thanks.

The flats are very doable in 14-16' aluminum, you'll also see kayaks if the conditions are right, just keep an eye on the winds and if its blowing it gets rough with the shallow water.

I'd recommend launching from Tydings Park in Havre De Grace or theres a ramp on the underside of Rt 40 bridge on the west side of the Susky river, maybe Cisco can help out with the specifics. Both of those ramps are very close to the flats in case you had to run in quick.

Good luck and make the trip during the week if you can to avoid the boat traffic.

·
Registered
15,282 Posts
It looks like it's going to be a real good year on the flats, you only get one every 4 or 5 because most years its muddy as heck. It's my luck I'm off to northern alberta for the next 2 weeks.

Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts