BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess they started replenishing Avalon beach.

Dredge in TI.

I hope they at least take the time to make the channel a little wider.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
how does dredging affect the early season fishing in the back?

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Sanibel, When they changed the direction of the natural channel in the 80's was when theier problems began.

Ryan, Who knows? I don't think they really "know" what or where the effects of these projects are being felt.Who's to say that the erosion on the back side of the TI bridge is not an effect of the dredging in the inlet?

Jack, I hope your right...

botb, Don't think they started pumping yet.

My belief is that it's a crapshoot at best. At worst it could be the very cause of the problem.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It looks like they are starting just inside Sw slough.Hope they work back toward C bouy its really shoaled up in there.Talked to a friend who has been monkfishing all winter and he said its much worse in there than January.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I can remember when it was a straight run with hardly any sandbars. I think there was a small one on the north side, but it wasn't even a big deal. There were had huge round markers. Of course I am going back almost 20 years. Then the beach restoration began & hasn't been the same. It seems to get to be a bigger p.i.t.a. every year. It gets downright it hairy sometimes. I can remember 2 or 3 times where I was 100% dedicated once you start to pass through it. I guess I am getting old.

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
The dredge is in a borrow area just north of the "channel" in the inlet towards the mouth.
The dredging is taking place to replenish the beach, not widen the channel.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
ANY Dredge is bad for fish, bad for tidal flow and a waste of good taxpayers money.ONLY people that benefit are the million dollar home owners who built right on the beach
Leave the beach alone and let nature take it's course

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Originally posted by BUCKTAIL WILLIE:
ANY Dredge is bad for fish, bad for tidal flow and a waste of good taxpayers money.ONLY people that benefit are the million dollar home owners who built right on the beach
I agree with Willie
Bad for my surfing and fishing

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Words of wisdom once again from Sir William...
As I've said before Willie, We can scream till we're blue in the face...It's too late.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Capt Al, I'm back ,picked up my boat on Saturday and in process of getting it ready for a long productive season
Have to make a couple of 3 day trips before end of month but target for launching is April 1

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
bottom painted both of mine sat and wax on wax off on sun. see ya out there

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
A few things....

The borrow area is right in inlet. It is used on all the dredge/beachfills. It fills back in, hence it use as a borrow site on repeated occasions. Tidal flow will be affected minimally.

The million dollar home owners are paying for this job with THEIR own money. No federal/state/county help. Solely Avalon tax dollars at work.

smellinfishy, it does benefit you. You operate a summer food place, right?
If there is no beach to come to, will people want to go to the shore with no beach?
It benefits the entire town and business.

Doing nothing and letting Mother Nature take its place would mean extensive damage to the surrounding area.
If you owned a home near there, you would want the beach filled.

[ 03-14-2006, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: barnaby ]

·
Registered
426 Posts
Borrow area.Whats the problem with dredging the high spots in the channel for fill?

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Originally posted by capt.alc111:
Borrow area.Whats the problem with dredging the high spots in the channel for fill?
The DEP picks them basically.
I don't know how they pick the areas.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The repeated dredging of the inlet has caused the north and south chanel to change drastically. On low water it is very difficult to get to Knobs ramp at the mouth south chanel. Money talks and BS walks. The right answer is to let mother nature take its course but that will never happen. If you are going north the best way is to go under the bridge and hug the rock pile on the Sea Isle side. Parrell the beach past the bars then go east. You can do this on low water there is at least four feet of water.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts