BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any rules on dredging equipment, pipes submersion depths, etc. or is just a free for all. I might be a puss, but getting out of my marina to the fishing grounds is a disaster and a downright suicide mission in the dark. They have a large barge right in the middle of the only channel navigable at low tide.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Where are you located, I'm about to face the same situation. I'm thinking about getting another slip to finish the year. I heard Absecon coming out of Faunce Landing has been like that. I guess they have to put their equipment where they get the job done.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boats at Hackney’s boat yard. I got no issue with the guys doing their job, but if they had moved that barge 10 yards left or right it would have been a lot more navigable for everyone. It’s literally sitting in the s curve that takes you back to steel man creek. I think it is just temporarily in that spot while they lay the “submerged” pipes, but I noticed at mid tide yesterday that the pipes are exposed at mid tide or less.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
No rules. Once they get contracted to start, you are at their mercy until done. Absecon creek has been very tough as well. AND when they started they removed existing markers and no end in sight

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read the whole scope of work report from the Army Corps Engineers. They are saying that it will take 120 days to do each dredge. There are 5 dredges being done on this contract. It’s comical that we are paying them to pump the sand out of the bay that we paid them to pump onto the beach. Government inefficiency at its finest.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Thank you for the link, the notice is from 2018 and it specifies the extent of dredging but no time schedule that is current. The dredge and pipes have been placed in the creek and the spoils area have been built but I have not seen any other activity. I'm hoping that they plan to start soon but no one seems to know anything. Thank you very much for the link, I've been unable to find out anything on my own.

·
Registered
78,946 Posts
I read the whole scope of work report from the Army Corps Engineers. They are saying that it will take 120 days to do each dredge. There are 5 dredges being done on this contract.

It’s comical that we are paying them to pump the sand out of the bay that we paid them to pump onto the beach. Government inefficiency at its finest.
It should really piss off a lot of people but they don't know. I've explained this a number of times each summer to people who said they had no idea.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
It should really piss off a lot of people but they don't know. I've explained this a number of times each summer to people who said they had no idea.
as much as I agree with this general sentiment (not sediment ;) ) in the case of Lakes Bay and Absecon Creek, it really is silted up mud that accumulates and not sand. These 2 spots are far from inlets so I don't think the beach replenishment is impacting them directly. Unless you count on beach replenishment impacting the flushing of back bay waters way inside, no way I can see the direct correlation (again for these 2 spots). The absecon channel was way overdue, my issue is more the way they handle the channel and markers for traffic during (and especially outside the hours of) their operation.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I heard from our local club that the markers have been replaced in Absecon Creek out to where the dredgers are operating.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dredging the bays and beach replenishment is a money grab like many other government sponsored projects. Look at the board of Great Lakes Dredging, quite a few previously worked for the army corps of engineers. It’s no different than the Merrill Lynch Pipeline to the treasury department. Outside of the wastefulness, my issue is the lack of awareness of the people who use the bays and as well as the general lack of safety precautions. I can’t say anything about Absecon Creek because i don’t venture up there, but I can say for a fact that I can run all over lakes bay and Risley channel at all tide levels. Who are we dredging for? Let’s face reality, most of the boats that run around in those areas are baymen who know their way around, not Vikings or yellowfins who need a lot more draft. I could understand dredging the mile stretch and the Inter coastal as it is a direct route for commercial and recreational vessels to get to the inlet and if silted in could hurt the local economy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts