BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m looking to buy a drift sock for my 21` center console. There are a couple different makes on the market. Just wonder if anyone has an opinion on which brand they like best and why. Any info would be apprecited.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Go big, xxl......One with weights on one half and floats on the other so it opens easier and faster.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Go big, xxl......One with weights on one half and floats on the other so it opens easier and faster.
I just actually ordered the " para-tech boat brakes" myself in 60" size from fore and aft at a price of $269 plus shipping: this one has the floats and weight in it...

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I have drift sock and tried it out a few times....either getting drift when its wind against tide or using it to straighten out boat on drift......after a few times I never used it...

To me its more of a PIA than what it does. to ea his own but I have one for sale real cheap..$10 takes it.. pretty big...not sure of size...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just actually ordered the " para-tech boat brakes" myself in 60" size from fore and aft at a price of $269 plus shipping: this one has the floats and weight in it...
Dfish the the 60" boat brake from para-tech looks like its might work, but all the other brands are showing a 60" being to small. And I am not finding to many brands that sell a 72" one.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Many of the drift sock designs I have seen are conical in shape,this one is more spherical, the difference in displacement is what I'm hoping for,otherwise...I'll return it and get the 72" but I'm not trying to really stop us just alter the drift on some given days/situation- ill post up when I test it - won't be for a few weeks though.

·
Registered
404 Posts
In the past when this topic was brought up. another Barn member suggested dragging a large mushroom anchor to really get an effective boat brake

·
Registered
692 Posts
In the past when this topic was brought up. another Barn member suggested dragging a large mushroom anchor to really get an effective boat brake
That would be great if we all fished shallow muddy ground....... I can go out 15 miles and be 180' of water and may just need to slow down a touch, that's hopefully where I'll be ...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I run 2 48iners. I use and adjust accordingly. I have a 30ft boat and a good crew to deal with in and out on short drifts.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Buy the biggest cheapest one you can find.

I rigged mine with a "larger than what you think it needs" anchor shackle to connect the main line to the bottom of the chute. The weight of it will turn the bottom of the sock down so when it come tight it fills easier. Use a floating poly line for the "retrieve" line at the top of the sock, or whatever line you have with a plastic float slipped on it. This will keep that line on the surface and minimize any tangling of lines for when you want to retrieve it.

Oh yeah...$269? That's nuts... I'm thinking $75? I think you bought a sea anchor, which is different that a drift sock.

I use mine all the time to slow me down when drifting the reefs.... works great, not a big hassle.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cabela's Advanced Anglers™ Pro Series Drift Sock. I got the 66" one for $89.00 its the best thing I bought for my boat in years to help me catch more fish. I used it my last 2 times out and both time we started picking up fish again after it slowed us down back under 1.5 mph drifts. It comes with everything you need no buying extra stuff and the carrying mesh bag is part of the sock so you just push it inside of its self and zip it up.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I used one on Sunday for the first time at the old grounds and it slowed us down about one knot. I have 25' Steiger craft and it worked great easy to deploy and pull in. My sock does not have any weights or floats it took about 30 seconds to open. I paid 70.00 at a local tackle shop in Sea Isle

1 - 20 of 20 Posts