BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, It took me about 6 months of off and on rigging to learn the dropper loop. Towards the end of that I finally learned how to do it the way the guys on the videos do it by twisting/wrapping the loop. That part is hard to explain but I used to make a loop and pass the tag end threw the loop 6-8 times then find the middle and pass the loop threw the middle slot. For me wrapping/twisting the loop works best doing towards myself in a upward motion. Ok so I was testing knots the other day w/ a 20lb weight and my dropper loops always broke pretty quick and easily. I have never lost a fish due to my dropper loops but I don't like to take chances. I am organizing tackle right now and found a old store bought rig w/ loop in the middle of the line that looks different then a dropper loop. I'm looking for a loop knot that is different then the dropper loop for making fluke/bottom fishing rigs. Thanks for any advice Jeremy

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the video it does make it look easy and the jig looks easy to make. I guess I'm not getting enough twists/wraps since they always come untwisted when I'm pinching them with my thumb and middle fingers in the begining before I can pull the loop threw the center. I will try it and then test the strength of the knot. I am still interested in other loop knots for placing teaser hooks and top and bottom rigs

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Thanks for the video it does make it look easy and the jig looks easy to make. I guess I'm not getting enough twists/wraps since they always come untwisted when I'm pinching them with my thumb and middle fingers in the begining before I can pull the loop threw the center. I will try it and then test the strength of the knot. I am still interested in other loop knots for placing teaser hooks and top and bottom rigs

Tie a large double line (loop) with a spider hitch, then cut the loop where you want and tie the teaser to the top piece of line sticking out and the heavier buck tail on the bottom piece of cut loop, Nice, easy, and qiuck and never had a problem with it breaking. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Rob, I like that for a bucktail/teaser rig. I just tested it out and it is pretty strong compared to my dropper loop. I used cheap brand 25lb mono thats been around 4 awhile to practice knots. I attach the knots/tag ends to a 20lb dumbell/weight to test knots. The spider hitch almost got it off the ground but not quite. So the way I tied it (double line, make a loop, wrap double line around thumb/finger 4 times then back threw the original loop,carefully seat the knot) it seemed to be around 75/80% of the line breaking strength, does that seem about right? Thanks for the advice man

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Hey Rob, I like that for a bucktail/teaser rig. I just tested it out and it is pretty strong compared to my dropper loop. I used cheap brand 25lb mono thats been around 4 awhile to practice knots. I attach the knots/tag ends to a 20lb dumbell/weight to test knots. The spider hitch almost got it off the ground but not quite. So the way I tied it (double line, make a loop, wrap double line around thumb/finger 4 times then back threw the original loop,carefully seat the knot) it seemed to be around 75/80% of the line breaking strength, does that seem about right? Thanks for the advice man

Hope that helps you this season, once you get proficient at the knot, it should break at 90% or in that area. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I'm missing a few fingers and learned off this video how to tie one and mine never break. Just sit with some leader material and watch the video over and over till you have it then keep practicing. I can tie them in the dark, on a boat anywhere after just watching and some practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P7DSPU4t-w

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
good one

I'm missing a few fingers and learned off this video how to tie one and mine never break. Just sit with some leader material and watch the video over and over till you have it then keep practicing. I can tie them in the dark, on a boat anywhere after just watching and some practice.

Thats about as easy as it gets . That was Mark Sosin .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,830 Posts

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I am going to have one of those boards set up by the end of the day today. I tie lots of droppers at a time and although I can almost do it with my eyes closed, making them all uniform has always been an issue.. great tip, thanks.

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
I am going to have one of those boards set up by the end of the day today. I tie lots of droppers at a time and although I can almost do it with my eyes closed, making them all uniform has always been an issue.. great tip, thanks.
I will have one also for this summer

·
Registered
532 Posts

Wish I found this before i tried to master the other way. Way easier and can learn in minutes.

·
Registered
20,307 Posts
For me, the best thing about it is that I always seem to screw up the second dropper when I am tying a double. Don't seem to do it as much with the jig.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
For me, the best thing about it is that I always seem to screw up the second dropper when I am tying a double. Don't seem to do it as much with the jig.
Yep, that's what I meant, the second one is never the same size as the first one.... this is gonna fix it.

·
Registered
24 Posts

That's a nice easy dropper. Mark Sosin, watch many of his shows. Dude had lots of knowledge, but came with a little arrogance. First tip of his I used was how to attach heavy mono to glass to give a Retainer that didn't lay on the neck. Now we have many choices including cablz. I still tie one every once in a while out of nostalgia.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts