BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that sometimes I can tie the perfect dropper loop, then the next time the darn things slips when I pull it tight. Why does this happen? Trying to tie up some rigs on my day off. Any simple way to tie the dropper loop?

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
I can't say this is what you're experiencing, but this is what I have noticed (and been able to reproduce intentionally) when the dropper slips as you're cinching it.......

- You make your twists, and pull the loop through the middle. Assuming you're going to grab the loop with your teeth, you'll have the "twists" on top, and the looping, non-twisted line coming up from the bottom........

- You have a section of "twisted" line on the top, and non-twisted line on the bottom. The non-twisted line is looped, and going up into/through the center twist......

- Here is the key that I have noticed: The non-twisted line on the bottom needs to be wider than the twisted line up top. If you have that, it pulls through and the twists cinch up nicely. If the non-twisted line on the bottom is short, the twists up top get pulled down (like a frown) and they catch on one another. The knot doesn't catch, and the loop gets pulled back through the twists.

The shorter you try to make your loop, the great the chance is that this will happen. You can put the theory to test by tying several in a row with ridiculously long loops, and you'll see they never slip. Once that loops starts getting small, you run the risk of not enough loop line, and that's when it fails.

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was wrapping it 5 times. Maybe that was the problem. Also, my loops tend to get kinked up. Why is that? Just tied another one, but instead of holding with my teeth I placed the loop over a door handle. Made it much easier to pull the sides in evenly and I had a perfect loop.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Hey Kevin. Remind me the next time you come down.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I was going to suggest you stop using your teeth... I have a little eyehook secured on my bench I do them on (also use it to cinch down knots when tying other rigs) and it makes it easier. It also helps you make more uniform droppers when doing alot of them.

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was going to suggest you stop using your teeth... I have a little eyehook secured on my bench I do them on (also use it to cinch down knots when tying other rigs) and it makes it easier. It also helps you make more uniform droppers when doing alot of them.
Exactly what I am thinking.

·
Registered
12,819 Posts
Happens to me at times but I usually in a hurry Toggin and dont think I apply consistent pressure and moisture. The larger droppers give me the most trouble

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Dropper loop

Always five turns
Always pin the loop
Always moisten especially fluoro
Always tighten to lock while loop is pinned
Always tighten with even pull
Always keep droppers twice size of loop on hook
Always use heavier material than on hook snell
Always use 100% dropper tie for bigger fish

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
We got through a ton of rigs down here in Florida because of all the sharp teeth and sharp reef. Everyone I fish with just tie with a half hitch. No dropper loop needed. I havent had a single rig break at the half hitch and have caught 100's of fish that fight harder then any tog or striper. We use 60 to 80 pound minumum.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Kiwi droper loop, much stronger than the standard blood drop loop! Dont want to start the usual arguments, so - google it - tie a kiwi and a blood in the same line and pull!

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
We got through a ton of rigs down here in Florida because of all the sharp teeth and sharp reef. Everyone I fish with just tie with a half hitch. No dropper loop needed. I havent had a single rig break at the half hitch and have caught 100's of fish that fight harder then any tog or striper. We use 60 to 80 pound minumum.
Ahhhhhh, simplicity. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts