BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
This is a new technique I am lookin to try here in 2010 got some weights and hooks today don't really know much about it or how to make the rig so any info or descriptions is greatly apprciated thanks guys.:D

If you know how to tie a Palomar knot you can make a drop shot. Instead of having about 6" of line in the loop to tie the knot, leave a good bit, 12 + inches

All you are doing is tying a Palomar and leaving a long tag end , about 8 - 12 ", on the palomar knot, then run the tag end back thru the hook eye and pull taught, the hook should atand out horizontally from the line. Clip on the weight on the bottom of the tag end.

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/drop-shot.html

· Registered
427 Posts
1st barrel swivel 2nd about 1-2ft from the barrel ill tie on the hook 3rd any where from 12in-18in you can put the weight. i use 8lb floro for the whole (rig) hooks i prefer the stand out dropshotting hooks. and weight will vary upon depth

· Registered
2,930 Posts
dropshotting

I tried this for the first time last spring. On my very first cast I caught a nice pickerel. :D I also use the palomar knot. The length of the line from the weight to the hook should depend on the structure of the bottom. I would say on average 6-12''. The hooks I use are the gammakatsu drop shot hooks, I forget the exact size to be honest. For the weight I will usually use 1/4oz to get down 20-30ft that I often find myself fishing. I have had good luck with berkley powerbait hand-poured worms in the 4" size. As for when to use dropshotting, I personally use it as a "last resort", when nothing else is producing fish. It's a technique that should be fished very slowly, and make sure you are always watching the line for the smallest tap. Hope this helps some! :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,378 Posts
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This space is where I'd post the link to my article on dropshotting. Sadly, it has non-BB advertisements all over it. Look up the Courier Post Online Blog "Fish Head" and find the article called Weight a Minute. :)

· Registered
4,852 Posts
Dropshot

Just Google "Dropshot" there's lots of sites out there that describe the technique. There's also a special hook made specificaly for dropshoting, it has a little "leg" bent into it so it always has the correct orientation, I reallly like those.
Now, the technique is deadly. I don't fish largemouth anymore but on river smallmouth it can't be beat. You have to develope the right wiggle on your rod tip to impart a tight, fast little shake. More of a buzz really. But when you do, BAMMM, it's really killer. It's quite addictive. Great for deep water, big fish. I could easily give up all other methods in leu of DS. It's just way too much fun. Get that BUZZZ right and have fun with it. OH, when you get a hit, drop the rod tip a little, take a turn on your reel and set up hard. Good luck with it. You won't be sorry. :thumbsup:

· Registered
531 Posts
Drop-shot'n is used primarily from a boat and primarily in deeper water. The key is to try and keep your bait under you, or at a slight angle, as much as possible and stay connected with your bait.

That's all I do when I go to upstate New York, on the St. Lawrence River, fishing for smallmouth. Drop-shot'n a Senko in 35' to 45' of crystal clear water. It's deadly.:thumbsup:

· Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info guys the hooks I have are the gamakatsu dropshotting ones however I did see the stand out ones but did not purchase them and I got some 1/8oz weights. It looks like most of you like the palomer knot so this will be probably be the way I go. I am going to do a little more research and read the articles you guys mentioned Thanks for all your help.:thumbsup:

· Registered
531 Posts
Really all you need to now is how to tie a Palomar knot. Get yourself some tungsten drop-shot weights from Cabelas or BPS. They just slide onto the tag-end of your line and if they get hung up on structure, they simply slide off without losing the hook. I don't use any special hooks either. A Gami circle is all I ever use. Good luck!

· Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm thinking a lake that has steep drops from bank and alot of deep structure (fallen tree's) in 15-20' of water would be a perfect candidate for drop shotting.

I'm gonna try that this year.
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking a have a few lakes that have deep dropoffs in areas virtually right off the shore. I hoping I can pick a few up using this method this year.

· Registered
306 Posts
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking a have a few lakes that have deep dropoffs in areas virtually right off the shore. I hoping I can pick a few up using this method this year.
Dropshotting will work anywhere, all depends on how the fish are staged and if they are actively feeding or not.

In tidal waters, bass on structure, like pilings will not stray far to eat a bait. Fighting the tide, they usually will not go more than a foot or two away from the piling to take your worm, senko, etc.
It is the theory of calories expended versus calories taken in.
Will the bass gain more by going out after the bait, or use more energy to get the food then she will take in with the consumption of the food.

IF they are not actively feeding and staged closer to the bottom of the water column, a dropshot bait can sometimes entice them into biting by positioning the bait right in front of them and keeping it there, eventually getting a reaction strike.

If they are actively feeding, a standard T rig senko/worm will usually outfish the dropshot, and reversed if they are inactive.

The dropshot will work well in any depth, shallow water from 3 feet to 10 feet, and the deeper dropoffs as already said.
Works really well on the dropoffs when you throw the bait out as far as you can, and work it real slow back up the drop with the worm about a foot up from the weight.

· Registered
2,930 Posts
The dropshot is really good for deepwater lakes and ponds that drop quickly, especially if stuck on land. The sandwash I fish has many spots that you can't walk out 10' before the water is over your head. If using a spinnerbait or shallow diving crank in this wash or any similar body of water, your chances of getting bit are slim as the fish are going to be 20' deeper than where the lure is. Fishing a texas rigged soft plastic will keep you in the strike zone and often produce, but you will also be finding your lure covered in grass/muck/algae. The dropshot allows you to be deep while not getting the lure covered in muck.

As for the weights... pretty much anything works. You can use split shots in more shallow water. I actually use those little bass casting sinkers. Dropshotting will actually be one of the first techniques I will be using this spring as the fish usually want a small and slow presentation. Now the only thing to do is go out there, catch some fish, and post up the pictures! :thumbsup:

· Registered
2,930 Posts
Thanks for the most part I will be fishing from shore wiil this still work ok I heard it is much better to use when fishing vertically. Will I still be able to fish it effectively?
It absolutely, positively does not need to be fished vertically. Many people think that is the only way to fish it, and they are, to put it nicely... wrong. :fighting:

One thing to keep in mind when fishing it from shore or casting is that the lure will be coming to you on an angel. You might need to put the hook up higher to keep it from getting cover in muck. The only time I would fish it vertically is if you know for a fact that there are fish right underneath where you are fishing. :thumbsup:

· Registered
306 Posts
Thanks for the most part I will be fishing from shore wiil this still work ok I heard it is much better to use when fishing vertically. Will I still be able to fish it effectively?
Fishing from shore will diminish a lot of the vertical aspects of drop shotting pilings and docks , unless you can get close to them.

But for fishing drop offs, brushpiles, and grass it will work fine just leave a long enough tag end so there is more of a separation point between the weight and the bait, and use baits that have a low salt content and float better.
Work it really slow, if you think it is slow enough, slow down some more. You want that bait floating up above the weight, off the bottom.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.