BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is not about fishing, directly, but did anybody here about the kid who drown off the 8th street rocks in Avalon on Friday late afternoon. There were 4 helicopters flying over the scene for about an hour.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Article on A.C. Press says he was 4 years old wearing no flotation device. Family is from Haddonfield, my home town. No name released yet. Sad.

Gene

·
Registered
385 Posts
Quite a shame.
I have no kids, however, have many friends who do.
I've got a friend who will not allow his children to fish from a pier/dock without a lifejacket on. Even a dock with a railing and mid-height service rail. And he never leaves their side. I thought he was overkill - but then you hear stories like this...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Adam Youssef was fishing with his 12-year-old sister at the Eighth Street municipal dock when he fell in.

Adam's sister dove in and tried to save her brother but could not, said Capt. Marie Hayes of the Cape May County Prosecutor's Office.

"It's a tragedy," Hayes said.

Adam's body was found shortly after 9 p.m. Friday, Hayes said.

The drowning was ruled accidental.

Story continues below
Adam was vacationing with his mother and two older sisters, Hayes said.

The boy's family could not be reached for comment Monday.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Sorry to beat this one to death, but nobody respect jetties anymore. Time and time again I have seen families with little kids (or just little kids, no parents) running up and down the jetties, in places where I won't even fish because it's too hazardous. I tell them to be careful or not even go out there, but they never listen. Just this past weekend I saw three little kids up on the jetty with a Snoopy rod (they couldn't cast the thing, either), and the mom showed up about 15 minutes later. I warned the kids not to go out to the end, luckily they listened as the waves were washing over the rocks.

It's a shame things like this happen, but eventually the odds will catch up with you.

[ 08-30-2005, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Originally posted by Fly Ty R:
nobody respect jetties anymore.
That's the truth.. we see kids running on the rocks all the time with their parents standing on the beach jokin and laughin like they have no cares in the world. I fish lots of rocks.. when it stops feeling scary, I hope I am smart enough to stop fishing them...

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Originally posted by Fly Ty R:
Sorry to beat this one to death, but nobody respect jetties anymore. Time and time again I have seen families with little kids (or just little kids, no parents) running up and down the jetties, in places where I won't even fish because it's too hazardous. I tell them to be careful or not even go out there, but they never listen. Just this past weekend I saw three little kids up on the jetty with a Snoopy rod (they couldn't cast the thing, either), and the mom showed up about 15 minutes later. I warned the kids not to go out to the end, luckily they listened as the waves were washing over the rocks.

It's a shame things like this happen, but eventually the odds will catch up with you.
I agree with your post 100%. They just don't know any better. It's amazing how careless some people are with thier kids. :mad: Sometimes there are simply no second chances. I have seen what you describe above many times.

However this incident had nothing to do with a jetty. The kids were on a public dock on a canal in the back where the tide really rips through there. Just as dangerous for small children.

A damn sensless shame... :(

[ 08-30-2005, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Keeper Seeker ]

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Originally posted by Keeper Seeker:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fly Ty R:

I agree with your post 100%. They just don't know any better. It's amazing how careless some people are with thier kids. :mad: Sometimes there are simply no second chances. I have seen what you describe above many times.

However this incident had nothing to do with a jetty. The kids were on a public dock on a canal in the back where the tide really rips through there. Just as dangerous for small children.

A damn sensless shame... :(
</font>[/QUOTE]I second that!! I see that all the time up in barnegat light I tell them to be careful but all I get is dirty looks and sometimes not so pleasant words shouted at me :mad: But it is funny as hell when they see a rat :D :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
Its amazing this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. I was on the pier at the end of Old Avalon Blvd.the other nite and there was a father fishing while his three childern three to five years old were runnung around with no PFD's. I actually left because I didn't want to see a tragic accident. Some people really have their heads up a$$. My grand children know they don't set foot near any water with out their PFD's on and above all they don't run on docks. It only takes a second for them to fall in the drink.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've seen so many vacationer's get in situations this summer. I think they have the attitude that nothing can happen to them on vacation. My daughter and I fish the rocks all the time. She knows how to navigate them, alot better than me. I have vertigo. But she is NEVER on them alone. I don't even like her going swimming without me. If you set the rules the kids follow them only if you enforce them. You have to be present to do that.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I agree that the average vacationer should use more 'common sense' but I want to say that they don't and can't understand the danger. We know from working the rocks and docks of the dangers because we deal with them on a regular basis. Many of the parent that I have talked to about the danger don't realize just how slippery or unstable this environment is because they don't deal with as often as we do. I know you must use common sense but that is why it is called an accident... What a shame :(

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
It makes me sick just thinking about this terrible accident. I have 2 small children and couldn't imagine losing one of them in such a horrible way. Hopefully this tragedy will save a few lives in the future.

Always put those PFD's on small children. Being able to swim in a pool isn't good enough when it comes to moving water. My deepest prayers are with the family.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts