BASS BARN banner

Drum fish lowered my Cholesterol

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  BIGGESTJACK 
#1 ·
I've been taking medication for better cholesterol control for many years now. These meds can only do so much for me as I am also a heart patient. June 3 of this year I caught my first Drum fish (82 lb.). After consuming two Drum fish dinners shortly thereafter I had my blood tested for cholesterol again. After ten years of meds. my cholesterol has never been this good. Don't misunderstand me, it's not perfect. But no one can say for sure what caused the bad cholesterol to go down and the good cholesterol to go up and the ratio to improve. My doctor suggests I continue to eat Drum Fish. Note: I tried heavy doses of Omega-3 oils years ago to no effect. Drum Fish, good for me, maby good for everybody.

#2 ·
royal glad to see your health is getting bvetter i think fish in generall can help out on alot of health issues.hope its stays on the good side for you.

#7 ·
ROYAL FUNNY THING I HAD MINE CHECKED A COUPLE WEEKS AGO AND MY CHOLESTOROL WENT DOWN ABOUT FIFTY POINTS TOO BUT MY TRIGLICERIDES WERE THE REAL SURPRIZE THEY WENT DOWN 125 POINTS BUT I DID NOT PUT 2 AND 2 TOGETHER

#9 ·
Originally posted by CaptG:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
GREAT RESULTS,I'LL HAVE TO TRY.WHERE CAN YOU BUY DRUMFISH???
Big Jack capt. Tates usually has drumfish for sale. I got some smoked there before, good stuff! </font>[/QUOTE]g--I'LL CALL THEM
SPOOLED--THANKS BUT ENJOY YOU DRUM I'LL FIND SOME AND REPORT

#12 ·
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
GREAT RESULTS,I'LL HAVE TO TRY.WHERE CAN YOU BUY DRUMFISH???
I know of only one place Biggest . Hand picked by your truly yeap . I got them daddy!!!!!!!!!

#13 ·
BTW the way I had some spys today

#15 ·
Fish certainly has those properties. Many types of fish have the ability to raise HDL's (the good stuff) and lower LDL's(bad)...the little amount of fat that is in most fish helps to "pick up" the bad cholesterol and "carry" it out of the blood stream...As for the Fish-oil capsules not working, theres nothing like the real thing in my opinion, though some companies certainly do make a higher quality product than others.
Something else you might want to try is a bowl of good Ol' fashioned oatmeal in the morning, not the in the packet instant stuff. The real oatmeal can cook in your microwave in about 3-4 mins you can add all kinds of fruits to it and I think you'll find that if you stick with it your cholesterol will drop a good amount...Its worked for everybody I know. Good luck and Congrats! :D

#16 ·
Maybe it's the fishing and not the fish.
Drumfish is often downplayed in the taste department. (Mostly by guys who don't want to clean them).
I like mine marinated in soy, fresh ginger and basil and right on the grill.
That oatmeal idea does help. Also try one of the soy spreads like Benecol.
Have a happy lipid profile.
Capt. Jim

#17 ·
Sparse grey: I enjoy eating all kinds of fish about twice a week. So long as they are not strong in taste ( or as they say in Minn. "RICH" ) Fresh water, Salt water, Trout to Mako's. But nothing mushie. As I had said, I have blood tests regularly (every other month) and never had my cholesterol been so good till I ate Drum fish.
KeysKid: Thanks, I'll give the real oatmeal a try. The instant stuff never was to my likeing.

#18 ·
Originally posted by KeysKid:
Fish certainly has those properties. Many types of fish have the ability to raise HDL's (the good stuff) and lower LDL's(bad)...the little amount of fat that is in most fish helps to "pick up" the bad cholesterol and "carry" it out of the blood stream...As for the Fish-oil capsules not working, theres nothing like the real thing in my opinion, though some companies certainly do make a higher quality product than others.
Something else you might want to try is a bowl of good Ol' fashioned oatmeal in the morning, not the in the packet instant stuff. The real oatmeal can cook in your microwave in about 3-4 mins you can add all kinds of fruits to it and I think you'll find that if you stick with it your cholesterol will drop a good amount...Its worked for everybody I know. Good luck and Congrats! :D
Hey BIGGEST and Red C, what ex college, NFL head coach has a bowl of oatmeal every day?? You can't look this one up!! OOPS, almost slipped up. He is no longer an ex-coach as he has returned to coach again at the college level. A hint is that he, Coach K and the General have something in common. ;) :D :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.