BASS BARN banner

Drum Questions - and Answers!!!

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  DaisyMaySportfishing 
#1 ·
While I would say that I am by far not the best drummer in Cape May, we do hold our own out there:thumbsup:

Its that time of year when all the drum posts start to appear.

I just wanna say, i am a much better talker than typer:huh:. If anyone has a question or just wants a few pointers, feel free to give me a call. I'm sure I won't have all the answers, but hopefully I can get you pointed in the right direction.

If I can talk, I will. I was on the phone the other night for an hour with a guy named Bob who is just starting out. Have no idea who he is, but now have a new friend, and that's what its all about:thumbsup: Please remember though that I am starting to get my boat ready for the season, so if I can't talk, leave me a message and I will call you back.

Once again, not claiming to be even close to the best, just trying to help out is all, and I talk way better than I type:D

Capt Dave

Discussion starter · #4 ·
I saw an article you wrote in "on the water" magazine. It was an older issue sometime in 2009. It might have been your first one because it described how you got started in the business. Thought it was really cool. I was like I know that guy. ( Just from your posts here but that still counts. ) Anyway thanks for your info.
Thanks:thumbsup: I may be doing a few feature articles this year:D

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Hear a ? do you want to use to anchors when drum fishing.
Stuart....if you were asking about using 2 anchors while drum fishing, my answer is you can, but you really don't need to. 2 anchors is mainly used for wreck fishing, to be able to adjust the position of the boat over different pieces of the wreck.

And yes you DEFINITELY want to anchor for drum!!!!

Discussion starter · #19 ·
for you either Maurice river cove , or cape may, In the river stay in the center and follow your buoy's There is very shallow water in front of east point light house , but the mouth of the river is very wide, there is plenty of room to run. Cape may is the cm canal. Stay in the center and when passing the ferry's stay close to the ferry's The far side of the canal across from the ferry's is a mud flat. Once in the bay , just keep a sharp eye for crab pot buoys' and stakes, and of course anything that may be floating. But that can happen anywhere. Some people may tell you to drop in from bidwell creek, I would say into you get to know the area , that would be my last choice since drum fishing means you may be coming in after dark or in low light that place the entry into the creek is the trickiest by far. If you have a chartplotter and you be careful you will be fine at anyone of the points of entry.
pigpen on 82
stuart...this is VERY good advice!!:thumbsup:

Discussion starter · #21 ·
Thanks one more ? what type of hook and size
Stuart...the rigs are just like striper chunking rigs, but smaller leaders. We start off with a spro 150lb barrell swivel attached(via clinch knot or palomar, depending on my mood!!) to a 12-16 INCH leader. Leader material should be 50 pound test or greater and can be either fluorocarbon or mono as drum are not leader shy. We use fluoro for the abrasion resistnce. For hooks, we snell them all to the leader. We use both J hooks and circle, all Gamagatsu Octopus. J hooks are 10/0 Gammi Octopus, circles are 8/0 Gammi Octopus.

You want the shorter leaders to keep the bait close to the bottom, especially in hard runnig tides. An egg sinker or a rubber core sinker can also be added to the leader in super fast currents:thumbsup: If you like, you can give me a call for more info if you need it:thumbsup:

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.