BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a few set ups for drum. I'm not loaded and don't want to spend a ton of money but any way. I was looking at the Shimano bait runner or the Penn livelinner. Is it worth the few extra bucks for shimano? Also what size would you guys recommend ? I was thinking the 4500 shimano. Have any of you guys tried the cabelas Slat Striker rods? I was lookig at the spinning rod cssbc-703 or the 705. They are rated for 1 to 4oz or 1 to 6oz both are 7'-0". Each set up would be around $170.00 bucks. The saltstriker rods are on sale right now from 89 down to 59. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
YOUR choices are fine. i use the penn 320gti and 330gti on penn slammers.
walmart sells the combo for 120.00ea.
i have caught 80 lb frum with no problem. see big fish pics. my 330 is a lever drag level wind not from wallmart

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
BONAC H said:
I'm looking to get a few set ups for drum. I'm not loaded and don't want to spend a ton of money but any way. I was looking at the Shimano bait runner or the Penn livelinner. Is it worth the few extra bucks for shimano? Also what size would you guys recommend ? I was thinking the 4500 shimano. Have any of you guys tried the cabelas Slat Striker rods? I was lookig at the spinning rod cssbc-703 or the 705. They are rated for 1 to 4oz or 1 to 6oz both are 7'-0". Each set up would be around $170.00 bucks. The saltstriker rods are on sale right now from 89 down to 59. Any help would be great.
I would go with the Penn Liveliner, I have a Penn 560L live liner and love it, great buy!

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
You don't need a "bait runner" or "live liner" for drum. They are not "hit n run" fish like stripers. A Penn 309M would be an adequate reel. If you want to go a few more bucks, about $120., get an Okuma induron IDx 400. I own two, and pulled in a drum over 60 lbs. It's a tough super smooth, eight bearing, well built reel. Big enough for drum and it's small enough for fluke or weakies.;)

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
bay bee said:
You don't need a "bait runner" or "live liner" for drum.

this is correct, BUT i still use my shimanoo 4500 anyway because its light and while drum fishing you hold the rod the entire time. match the 4500 with shimano talus rods mh, $200 set up, that will last you forever.

-ZAR

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Mike,

You know how light those things hit. I'd say skip any baitrunner options and go with some type of conventional setup's. 20-30lb class should be fine along with some type of powerfull reel. Avet's are the sh!t but I saw that you wanted to keep the price down. Quantum would be a good choice also. If you have any questions, feel free to eamil;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys thanks for the advice. The only reason I'm considering the baitrunner option is that I have had some luck livelining bunker and have hooked up with some nice fish the past few years. I'm always putting it in free spool which is fine but figured maybe I'll try the baitrunner. So after the drum season this is what these rods could or would be used for. I was also thinking about deep water flounder. When the curent is to strong these rods may be nice to have on board. I hate using a lot of lead but sometimes you have to. But the main purpose for these rods will be to dunk some clams in the Big D for some Drum and one or two trophy BBASSS:D Again thanks for all of the input. Anymore would be great thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
We use a mix of 310gti's and 320GT2's on Ugly Sticks for Drum, Striper Chunking, and flounder. The reels have enough speed, capacity, and drag to haul in monster drum in running tide, and are light enough to hold all day. (And budget friendly!) The key seems to be matching the action of the rod... You'll want someting with a soft tip but plenty of backbone.

FWIW - We usually deadstick for drum (using 9/0 circles) unless the bite is really light...

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
cabelas salt striker rod-

I use a 7ft 2pc spinning rod (Cabelas salt striker) w a okuma coronado cd 65 for chunking/stripers.Their ok i had to replace a eyelit other than that no complaints..

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
phish4fun said:
YOUR choices are fine. i use the penn 320gti and 330gti on penn slammers.
walmart sells the combo for 120.00ea.
i have caught 80 lb frum with no problem. see big fish pics. my 330 is a lever drag level wind not from wallmart
this week on sale for like 80.00

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I have both reels you were asking about (spinning). I have the Shimano 4500. Two season and not a problem but I use it Surfing then again chunking on a diff pole. I just bought two Cabelas Salt Striker bait runners put them on Tica Dolphions 7' & 9' these have been out on the river for stripers. I love the Tica rods and haven't had a problem with the rels yet but have only caught cats and a big carp.

I drum fish with a conventional set up myself but would try my 4500 on a small pole.

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Spend the extra for the Shimano, I have friends that have the 4500's, and they have never had a bit of problems with them. I like using conventionals, I just bought a TLD 15 to use for offshore seabassing and also for drum and stripers. My favorite setup is a Shimano Charter Special 1000 on a 7ft Penn Custom Power Stick with lightweight rollers, spooled with 30lb Stren Superbraid.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
How About The Calcutta 400 For Striper And Drum ?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I agree with Skip, get a conventional reel and load it with 50lb braid.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Conventional With 30lb Mono

Last spring with Badfinger, landed this using his gear (Shimano) but my Buddy landed his on my my $30.00 Tsunami TL3000, it's a junk reel but it works for what I use it for. Just make sure you wash it down and oil and lube it frequently, it doesn't last long if you don't. The level wind broke on it during a blue fish blitz but never missed a fish.

http://www.myfishpix.com/gallery/data/500/davedrum1.JPG
:):) Good Luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts