BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
753 Posts
I have an Aquaskinz Raptor because it is breathable. Most guys hate the tight neck seal and so if you don't like things that tight on your neck you will hate this dry top. The neck is a tradeoff for how loose the rest of the top feels and doesn't constrict you in your casting motion. Had other tops that affected my casting.

· Registered
791 Posts
you will get tons of answers. i use aqua skins dry tops. evo II most of the time also the hurricane when it's really cold out and use a rampage on the boats or when surf fishing and not planing on taking waves. all work great for the different enviroments.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
I have the hurricane (aquaskinz) top.The only thing I dont like about it is you have to spray it with a waterproofer a few times a season.The seals around the neck and wrists work well........I've heard Simms makes a good dry top

· Registered
6,423 Posts
Unless simms started to remake drytops in the last year, they are not available since Simms dicontinued the tops. I have a Bomber and it is heavy duty breathable material and I really like it. The only "drytops" that Aquaskins makes is the Raptor (breathable) and Hurricane (neoprene) - the rest are semi-dry tops. You can probablt find a bomber online cheaper than the Aquaskins; and in my opinion they are better made then aquaskins.

· Registered
7,546 Posts
The difference is getting a wave over your head and being soaked. The Dry Tops have gaskets on the neck and cuffs to prevent water down and in your torso area. Semi Dry top in my opinion is a Splash top. It would cover you in rain and the sea spray. A Dry top allows you to wade in water close to or over your head with out fear of water in your waders, etc.

GSBB

· Registered
330 Posts
I also have the Aquaskinz Raptor and love it. I was stupid once and did actually take a wave over my head. Stayed completely dry. Neck gasket takes 2-3 outings to get used to, but worth it in my opinion. Full range of motion and keeps you nice and warm and toasty.

However, if you are looking for just a rain top, there are many choices. My other top is a Grundens Petra?? I think. Neoprene wrist cuffs, hood (which the Raptor doesn't have, and the zipper zips up to your chin and when tied with the hood, I don't think any rain will get in there. I have worn this is rain and sleet during a Nor Easter and stayed dry.

· Registered
6,423 Posts
A "dry top" has latex gaskets at the neck and wrists and neoprene gaskets on top of the latex. They are great for kayaking in cold water. Depending on your neck size and the brand, some people don't like the tightness of the latex seal. The semi-dry tops just have the neoprene gaskets. If you're just worried about stopping the rain or wave spray and splashing, you don't need a dry top and can save a lot of money with a semi-dry top. IMHO - Aquaskins are over priced. Check online for NRS and Bomber. They are made for white water kayaking (some models like mine don't have the chest pocket) and can taking a beating. I've never owned an Aquaskins top, but there have been product complaints on another well known fishing forum - that's why I went with a Bomber top, which I got for about 1/2 of the Raptor. BTW - I got a used NRS spray top w/hood online for $15 - I use this light weight top for the conditions your talking about. Good luck picking a top.

· Registered
3,625 Posts
A "dry top" has latex gaskets at the neck and wrists and neoprene gaskets on top of the latex. They are great for kayaking in cold water. Depending on your neck size and the brand, some people don't like the tightness of the latex seal. The semi-dry tops just have the neoprene gaskets. If you're just worried about stopping the rain or wave spray and splashing, you don't need a dry top and can save a lot of money with a semi-dry top. IMHO - Aquaskins are over priced. Check online for NRS and Bomber. They are made for white water kayaking (some models like mine don't have the chest pocket) and can taking a beating. I've never owned an Aquaskins top, but there have been product complaints on another well known fishing forum - that's why I went with a Bomber top, which I got for about 1/2 of the Raptor. BTW - I got a used NRS spray top w/hood online for $15 - I use this light weight top for the conditions your talking about. Good luck picking a top.
This is good advice. I have two dry tops, a Simms and an Aquaskinz Hurricane, and while they're good gear, 90% of the time I really don't need all the waterproofing features. If you're not going to be imitating Aquaman out there, just get a semi-dry top, and save the money. In fact, many times, when I'll be doing just light wading, I leave both the dry tops at home, and wear a golf windshirt that I got at Salvation Army for $3. It won't keep me dry if a wave crashes over my head, and if it's raining, water will get inside, but if all you're worried about is an occasional splash, it works great. And at 1.25% the cost of an Aquaskinz Raptor, the price is hard to beat.

You're right, Rhino, about Skinz stuff. It's OK, but it's way overpriced. I got my top in a trade; I would never, ever have spent $200 for it. I gotta admit it's nice when it's very cold out, but there are ways of keeping yourself warm and dry without spending two bills.

· Registered
6,423 Posts
I got my top in a trade; I would never, ever have spent $200 for it. I gotta admit it's nice when it's very cold out, but there are ways of keeping yourself warm and dry without spending two bills.
When I was looking the skins dry top was just about $300.

· Registered
3,625 Posts
When I was looking the skins dry top was just about $300.
I was talking about the Hurricane, the neoprene top, which is not as expensive as the breathable ones. If memory serves, it used to sell for about $225.

But I think they've dropped the prices on all of them. I checked around the other day, and the Raptor and the EVO2 seem to be selling for less than they were a year or two ago. And the Hurricane was listed at $195, and I'm pretty sure it was over $200 for a while.

· Registered
441 Posts
I picked a couple different ones from llBean on rt 73 at the Prominade shoppinh ctr. They were on sale. one was a long sleve made by Kokatat the other short sleve by NRS both great tops. I wear them on the surf and on the Kayak. I paid $75 total. llBean guarenteed for life.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.