BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys ever done the 3 day trips to the Dry Tortugas out of Key West? If so, any boat or general recommendations? I think we are looking at the head boats like the Fishfinder or Yankee Capts. I think a 6 pack charter is a little too expensive. Thanks!

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
The barn police have been giving out subpoenas so no websites can be posted here...with that said, you can google:

Yuri / Tortugas fishing

or

Fishquest / Tortugas fishing

Over 30 multi day trips under my belt...feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected]

I am planning three trips in 2012 and may be looking to round out a 5 - 6 pack crew. Much better than taking the headboats.

Tight Lines,

Frank

PS The Florida Fish Finder is out of business, and the Yankee Capts is only down for the winter....much better off chartering your own boat for 3 or 4 days.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The barn police have been giving out subpoenas so no websites can be posted here...with that said, you can google:

Yuri / Tortugas fishing

or

Fishquest / Tortugas fishing

Over 30 multi day trips under my belt...feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected]

I am planning three trips in 2012 and may be looking to round out a 5 - 6 pack crew. Much better than taking the headboats.

Tight Lines,

Frank

PS The Florida Fish Finder is out of business, and the Yankee Capts is only down for the winter....much better off chartering your own boat for 3 or 4 days.
Thanks for the info, that explains why my email has gone unanswered!

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Tell Capt. Yuri or Capt. Paul that Frank from Miami sent you....they will take care of you...let me know when you are thinking of heading down...right now all of my 4 day trips are across Labor Day Weekend, Thanksgiving weekend, and of course Tortugas NYE Bash #2 :)
Thanks for the info, that explains why my email has gone unanswered!

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tell Capt. Yuri or Capt. Paul that Frank from Miami sent you....they will take care of you...let me know when you are thinking of heading down...right now all of my 4 day trips are across Labor Day Weekend, Thanksgiving weekend, and of course Tortugas NYE Bash #2 :)
email sent!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have never done it but want to! I have a great friend that lives in FL and goes once or twice a year...he actually just went this past weekend. He says to do the 5-6pack, much better.

Link to his facebook pic page of the fish they caught last weekend: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...61516336341.2063803.1186433772&type=1&theater
hope it displays.

He said the only thing that was odd was that they first went into the Atlantic to catch dolphin and some other fish. Then they went into the gulf to catch grouper...but...once they had a grouper on the boat the could not go back into the Atlantic since the regs are different/closed there for grouper. So they missed out on a half day of fishing for dolphin, etc. Wind blew last day anyway so it didn't matter.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have never done it but want to! I have a great friend that lives in FL and goes once or twice a year...he actually just went this past weekend. He says to do the 5-6pack, much better.

Link to his facebook pic page of the fish they caught last weekend: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...61516336341.2063803.1186433772&type=1&theater
hope it displays.

He said the only thing that was odd was that they first went into the Atlantic to catch dolphin and some other fish. Then they went into the gulf to catch grouper...but...once they had a grouper on the boat the could not go back into the Atlantic since the regs are different/closed there for grouper. So they missed out on a half day of fishing for dolphin, etc. Wind blew last day anyway so it didn't matter.
Permission denied

·
Registered
193 Posts
We will make it happen.

I am totally stoked for this trip. Everything I have read indicates that it is a stellar fishery, even though half the national park is now closed to fishing. Pleanty of tastey bottom dwellers outside the park limits in the deeper water.

Mike & Aj, it would be great for you to come along. What an adventure this will be.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Tortugas return !

Me and the neighbor just flew back today!. Fished/sailed 10 pm this past thurs returned to port sunday 1 pm. 3 day boat out of Stock Island, Key West. Nothing better for your money. Fishing was good to excellent. Only bad news was a cold front that pushed thru late sat nite that shut the fish off, otherwise all 3 fish boxes would have been filled. The boat caught fish included blackfin tuna, mahi, king mackeral, wahoo, yellow tail , scamp grouper, black grouper, red grouper, the famed MUTTON snapper (which is why u go, and keep returning). O yeah, and each and every type of small reef fish imaginable. (If u chicken rig). Pool fish was a near 50lb Cubera, what a beast!. Capts moved boat around well, weather was nice. Boat had 26 anglers and there must have been at least 30 totes filled with these assorted fishes when it was all over.
I faired ok, had much better trips but each trip is different. This has to be my 20th year fishing out of key west (on this headboat or the other headboat) in December or January. The fishing is excellent, its the opportunity to catch a fish of lifetime with every drop to the bottom.
Six pack fishing has their advantage and cost difference is really minimal, but u gotta have six guys who r committed and u gotta reserve NOW for NEXT Winter. You also have to KNOW who really catches fish and who doesn't, fishing the Marquesas is not fishing the Fort or west thereof. The headboat that remains in KW is fine. Cook on board,food is good, so food not needed, beer also available. The key to fishing on these 3 and 4 day trips is FRESH BAIT! Gotta spend 150-200 bucks on good Goggle eyes, speedos and ballyhoo, DON'T waste ur money on frozen! Catching ur own is ok, but buy it, go online, subscribe to a florida magazine, look up a florida sportsman forum, join, make contact w people in miami or fort lauderdale, or the keys, make a bait connection, spend any extra time in local shops and pry the locals for intel, tell them where ur fishing. You r better off talking online and w local shops and anglers in them while your there. The keys are too nice to go down and spend hours catching a bait that's useless. Between 2-3 guys it becomes cheaper and less aggravating.
This electronic and written info will also keep u up to date on the many regulations. (Atlantic vs Gulf). Last thing u want do is book a trip, catch a nice 20 lb grouper and have to throw it back! These trips r unforgettable, once u go u will be hooked. Each trip is better and better. Now i gotta plan for the NEXT one. Grouper re-opens May 1st, and i know i will b there! :thumbsup: Good luck.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.