BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these pics are kinda fuzzy but. this is the prop nut assy from my mercs, they go on in order from left to right. what is that thin lock washer looking thing?. as you can kinda see its worn very thin, and actually split. looks like its been spinning cuzz its all polished

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Yes, Dean is right of course, but I hate to see you spend any money on those 19" Mirages because they are not the right wheels for the boat.

What did you decide on that Vrat deal??

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
take one said:
passed on the vrat, gonna get a t-top made
Good move, there's nothing wrong with those 135 Mercs.. I'm going to see what we can do about getting those 17" Mirages or the Stiletto's on there this year. You'll need them even more with a t-top in the wind. Dropping back 2" in pitch should also help some with fuel burn.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i know, i got so busy fishing , every other minute i had to keep the lil lady happy. how can i tell if the hubs are spinning in the props?. that part(hubs) looked good. both props washers looked the same. i bet they're original. iam gonna use genuine merc. water pumps this year as well. hey on another note: i pulled the thermo sending units. them little buggers dont even come in contact with water they just sit in a little pocket cast into the head. something i never knew. ill tell ya getting the lower units this fall was a lot easier they last spring, there in the basement now

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Dunk, can't he have his 19's repitched to 17's?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Never - Satisfied said:
Dunk, can't he have his 19's repitched to 17's?
Harry, you asked the right question...

No.......................... Look at an outboard prop. Most of each blade is attached to the hub at an angle that matches the pitch. That means the only part of the blade they can bend are basically the tips. The blade tip and the cup in it are what lifts the bow of the boat when you trim the engine. If the blade tips are bent back out of the way the prop will just blow out when you try to trim the engine up. And it's going to blow out(let go) much easier in rough water.

On the flip side you CAN have extra cup and pitch bent into a prop blade for the same reason mentioned above. More pitch would just be putting more of the blade tip to work.

This is why when buying a stainless prop you should error on the lower pitch side. This gives you the chance to dial in a prop(s) perfectly working with a good propshop. Let him bring the pitch and cup up to what you need. Also in the mean time he's balancing the prop.

As soon as you mention balancing people think it's a vibration issue... It's not. Prop balancing has to do with making sure each blade is at the same pitch and cup and they are all doing an equal share of work. If one blade is far enough out then it can be a vibration problem. But if a 3 blade measures 16/17/18" it's still acts like a 17" wheel, but you've got the 18" blade doing more work than the 16/17" blades. The point is it might feel balanced, but it's working your gearcase propshaft gears and seals harder than they need to be. That 18" blade is leaning heavier on its side of the prop than the other blades as it spins.

Anyone who buys a good deal used prop off Ebay is a fool to just throw it on, look at your tach then forget about it. Test it yes, then let a good prop guy do his thing with it. If you need more pitch/cup have it done at the same time. You'll know because you test ran it.

Even new props, same thing as above.. I've seen three different stainless props all OMC 19" V6 SSTII's all turn different rpms by 2-300rpms. We never got to individual blade measurements because a 19" pitch wasn't right for the boat. Stiletto's and Turbo's both made by Precision props have been the best bang for the buck I've seen. I've never seen one of them more than a 1/4" out between blades, but anything out needs to be corrected. Only your prop guy can do this. Let him do your gearcase a favor and tweek your props for best speed and fuel economy.

When I seatrial a boat this is one of the first things I'm on..once we get to running the boat. The prop is what puts the power to the water. If it isn't right you are wasting the engine on the transom, burning fuel you don't need to and running the engine longer on trips because you could be getting there faster with the right prop.

http://propgods.com/content/index.aspx

This guy is in FL. I know him thru the FL SP page. You set up a meet with him at boat ramp or your dock. He charges 90 bucks an hr(last I heard) he shows up with truck full of Merc props with the Flo Torque hubs that fit every engine. You try anything you want. He's doing great with this biz..and he sell Merc props at list.(I think) I'm seriously considering doing this here, but I want more than Merc props and I'd be real happy with the hourly fee and selling props at a few bucks over what I could buy them for... Maybe I'll call some dealers this week and see what I can do...

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Dunk, makes perfect sense now that you explained it.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dunk, the guy i bought the boat from said ( and iam almost positive ) that he had a place but more cup into them. that they were 19", but with more cup put into them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts