BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
this is right up seasparks alley.:wave:
But I wasn't asked :D:D:D!! But if I was.....

Technically there is no problem with it. However, they do charge at different rates, so if you were to have them both connected together, say through a 1,2,all switch, if the larger battery isn't fully charged, it will try and draw off the other battery to equalize them.

What are you trying to do?? We might be able to get you a better solution.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wondered if there was an advantage to more power of a 27 over a 24 for running lights, electronics, frig, etc at night with OB engines off. There are two separate battery switches presently in the system. Port side runs house and stbd is starter for stbd engine and the rear bilge pump as presently wired.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I wondered if there was an advantage to more power of a 27 over a 24 for running lights, electronics, frig, etc at night with OB engines off. There are two separate battery switches presently in the system. Port side runs house and stbd is starter for stbd engine and the rear bilge pump as presently wired.
Sea Sparks is correct in asking what you have as a system...as it does matter.
There are many different setups that work equally as well and many set up out there that barely work at all. It aso depends on how much you are willing to "manage" the system.

For running lights, electronis AND a fridge...I strongly recommend much more than just a group 27 batt....even a pair of 27's would be less than I would use. Depending on room....if I had it I would have a pair of starting batts and a decent deep cycle bank of enough capacity to hold 2X the number of amp hours you normally expect to use per night.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Scott is right on.. the only thing you might have a issue with is your electronics. Some of them start to get funny when the voltages drop below a certian threshold, where as the lights and fridge are less fussy. It sounds like your port engine battery is running your house feeds, which is it's own problem. Normaly I would say that a Group 31 battery would be more than enough, but the fridge can draw a lot. It depends on the size of the fridge, and the temp outside. You also have to consider what your total amperage draw is. I know some guys that will fish all night with the spreader lights on.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can kill the frig overnight and therefore, omit it from the equation. Then I would have spreader lights, VHF, plotter, d/f and periodically the radar (standby when not in use)on. No space for a 31, it is narrow to mount the 27 now. My main concern is the recharging after night , should I keep the batteries separate while running the next day or switch to both? Also when using the present charger (guest) the connections come out at the same place, would that matter when hooked to 120v?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I can kill the frig overnight and therefore, omit it from the equation. Then I would have spreader lights, VHF, plotter, d/f and periodically the radar (standby when not in use)on. No space for a 31, it is narrow to mount the 27 now. My main concern is the recharging after night , should I keep the batteries separate while running the next day or switch to both? Also when using the present charger (guest) the connections come out at the same place, would that matter when hooked to 120v?
The best setup would be one that has a third battery, anywhere you can add one??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.