BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this an acceptable alternative to a non slip mono loop for tying a fly on? I am sure that there are pros and cons and bluefish won't care but has anybody used these with success on stripers? Just looking to facilitate fly changing without retying

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I don't use them, prefer a knot. I think Cape May Ray uses them alot. Don't see any reason not to though. The more knots I tie, the better my knots will be, I guess is my rational. Besides, I enjoy knowing and tying knots.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you John that continuous tying makes for better knots, and I enjoy tying them myself. I was more thinking of night use, and with the season coming, those days that the cold fingers are not so nimble. I was just wondering if there was a noticable or definite downside.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you can tie in the dark great. But I started using the snaps and have seen no differnece in the fish. It is much quicker when trying different patterns, plus that little bit helps with blue bite offs.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I use them all the time. If a fish can see the snap he should be able to see the big hook sticking out the bottom of the fly. You do have to be careful when unhooking fish. Pulling your fly out of the fishes mouth you can sometimes bend the snap or open it up as the eye of the hook moves around on the clip. I try to check it after un hooking each fish. I have lost a few fish by not checking or found my fly was no longer on.

I have used them on super small flies about and inch and a half long and still seemed to catch as many fish as buddy using just a knot.

I keep all my fly rods together and rigged. It is nice to have them without the hooks attached when not in use. If I get a bit off or lose a fly I can pick up another rod and get it in action quickly.

Also many times when I have two anglers casting, in rough water it is very difficult to control the boat, keep it off the rocks and tie flies on at the same time, especially at night.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Good answers. I still use knots but my partner uses the infamous "loop" knot & seems to do as well. BTW I also do not change flies very often. Rays comment of checking after each fish is obviously from experiance as is checking the leader after each fish. As too your original question I would be in the doesn't seem to matter column.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I don't changes flies too often, but I change styles once in a while. If using a bunker pattern, I may change to a jiggie or clouser to work a little deeper, give it a number of cast and change back to the bunker. I just hate that wasted time when my flies is not in the water fishing.:D

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ray,
Do you have a particular brand and rating you use? I like Sampo black stainless. I might imagine 25lb rating is fine?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do use snaps though I rarely change flys. I "think" they give improved action like a loop knot--which I haven't mastered--and the fish don't
seem to mind. john

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One last question for Cape May Ray. What knot do you use from the duo snap to the leader( tippet).

Thanks

·
Registered
771 Posts
I"ve been using them ever since I got the idea from Ray along time ago.Like he says just got to check them,but you should be checking your leader for nicks after each fish anyway,especially a good size bass.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you John, actually I was going to tie a surgeon's loop in the end of my tippet, and then tie a short 6 inch back to back surgeon's knot piece to make it easier to change. Of course I would coat it with UV knot sense:D , which by the way, I bought the light for a couple days ago( along with a bunch of other stuff that I HAD to have). I tied a couple leaders up, and I used the knotsense as the knot lube, smoothed it after tightening, and then set it.

Clinch, or probably a trilene knot will be what I use on the snap.

Now, one last question John........do I tie on to the big end or the little end of the snap?:confused:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use the palomar knot in braid. I would look into it, but I would have to see how it looks in 20lb fluro. I have never tied it in larger mono. Let's see what Capt Ray has to say

·
Registered
483 Posts
Capt Hero only uses a Uni knot. I'm waiting for the other Captn's to post what they use! When tying a tippet to a leader....... a Uni to Uni knot is the best! Just as quick as a double surgeons, and has 100% knot strength with a tiny bump in the line.

Carry on men,
This 5 star General, and Admiral or as Scotty of Star Trek says "Ad-me-all", Kernel, Sargent, and Mayor Tom flyguy, the Captain of the Keyboard.
the last Working Class Hero

this Captain is signing out now, everybody loves a Captain...... so ask me, the Cappy of Cape May, what fly should I use......... or what bait should I put on my hook?
A Cappy is a happy Pappy!

"this is Major Tom to ground control"

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Working Class Hero said:
Capt Hero only uses a Uni knot. I'm waiting for the other Captn's to post what they use! When tying a tippet to a leader....... a Uni to Uni knot is the best! Just as quick as a double surgeons, and has 100% knot strength with a tiny bump in the line.

Carry on men,
This 5 star General, and Admiral or as Scotty of Star Trek says "Ad-me-all", Kernel, Sargent, and Mayor Tom flyguy, the Captain of the Keyboard.
the last Working Class Hero

this Captain is signing out now, everybody loves a Captain...... so ask me, the Cappy of Cape May, what fly should I use......... or what bait should I put on my hook?
A Cappy is a happy Pappy!

"this is Major Tom to ground control"
Little early to be drinking isn't it?

·
Registered
678 Posts
That's more than drinking, mushrooms would be my guess :D That's exactly why, when I type an email in the middle of the night, I always save it as a draft before sending & review it in the harsh light of day the next morning :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts