BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
An article in one of the fishing magazines recomended the following and it worked pretty well. There is a cake icing dye thats liquid and comes in a small bottle as I recall you need very little as it is potent, (clothes and hands) and add water and kosker salt and let sit. If your interested I believe I can get the article this weekend and review it. Bought it at Michaels.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Have I got the sh.....t for you. A few years back when we could still sea bass in the winter I was on a deep drop on the AS and there were two guys fishing next to me making me look stupid. Thats not hard to do usually but. One of them said do you want to try our bait I said sure and long story short I got a very nice limit that day. Now here is what they were using they had cut squid dyed red and green had I have been using it ever since for certain types of fishing. It is called Pro-Cure. It is also a scent a few drops in a container overnight is all you need. Comes in several colors check out the web site. Good Luck. TJ

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Have I got the sh.....t for you. A few years back when we could still sea bass in the winter I was on a deep drop on the AS and there were two guys fishing next to me making me look stupid. Thats not hard to do usually but. One of them said do you want to try our bait I said sure and long story short I got a very nice limit that day. Now here is what they were using they had cut squid dyed red and green had I have been using it ever since for certain types of fishing. It is called Pro-Cure. It is also a scent a few drops in a container overnight is all you need. Comes in several colors check out the web site. Good Luck. TJ
Pro cut? I think they cut em too wide for flukin

RyanF

·
Registered
363 Posts
An article in one of the fishing magazines recomended the following and it worked pretty well. There is a cake icing dye thats liquid and comes in a small bottle as I recall you need very little as it is potent, (clothes and hands) and add water and kosker salt and let sit. If your interested I believe I can get the article this weekend and review it. Bought it at Michaels.
Squidder,
I wrote that article a number of years back, and published it in the NJ Angler and in Saltwater Sportsman... your memory has served you well.

Striperink89:

Cake icing dye is food grade, so feel comfortable using it to catch dinner rather than a harsh chemical. and like squidder remembers you can get it at Michaels in a multitude of colors, I prefer the pink for most species but have at it!
The process is simple:
just mix about a cup of tap water, a small amount of icing dye (the more you add the darker the stain) and a tablespoon or so of kosher salt into a heavy duty zip top bag, and place the squid in, let it sit overnight and you will have your product. it works best to use it quickly, like all squid.
when you add the kosher salt to the water, keep in mind you are not trying to toughen the squid, just trying to allow the dye to permeate the entire squid strip.. they work great for all species, INCLUDING swords, and tuna!
hope this helps
NJANGLERDARREN

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The old CAPTAIN ROBBINS out of SI would only use Green Dyed squid++clams on a regular basis for Sea Bass. Nothing new. Also those Sea Bass rigs with the green thing-a-ma-jiggies seem to outfish the plain rigs--regardless of what color the bait is. A bit more pricey for the rigs - but no need for dyed squid when using the green double-or triple hook rigs. USED to KILL the Bass on the CR back in the day - many 25 fish limits for me and buds -give or take a couple between the 4 or 6 of us. If 4 went - 100 keepers in the COOLER - using the green squid AND clam.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Its not Pro Cut. It is Pro Cure and it is not pre cut bait. It is a scented dye you cut your own bait and dye it.
Thanks, I'll have to check it out if I ever get into using squiddddd strips again

RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Watch it will stain your hands and anything else around it it touches.
No worries, I probably will not be touching squid that is not deep fried anytime soon..

RyanF

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if you could tell me the name of the cake icing would be great

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Pro-Cure is made for this purpose, we use it at the shop when we do up our pinks, greens. We also add shedder oil to the mix, to add a little more to it. Works great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts