BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi does any body know how to dye squid using food coloring. any sword fisherman who know how to do this. also squid strips.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have dyed squid before. I would rig my swordfish baits at the dock, put each one in their own large zip-lock bag and add food coloring. After a few hours they hold the color very well and be the brightest red you could imagine!

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Shoprite food coloring....green, red, or mix and get purple.

We add 20 parts salt water to 1 part dye in a 5 gallon bucket....key is to keep "recharging" them by dipping them in the bucket each time you check baits or reset your drift.

Make sure to put out at least one natural (no dye) as some nights that is the one that stands out and gets wacked.

I have found that the dye makes a difference when fishing the fuller moon phases when there is more light in the water, which is when we typically drop our baits down an extra 100 foot or so vs. lesser moon phases.

Don't forget the light....the little LP Diamond lights in purple are the ticket (no need to spend $50 on the larger flavor disco lights).

Catch em up.

Tight lines,

Frank

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
There is a product called Pro Cure. It has is scented and is made for bait coloring. I used food coloring in the past and I have used Pro Cure for the shops colored squid. Honestly, Pro Cure DOES work much better. I would compare it to Gulp! as far as using regular rubber baits and Gulp baits. The scent makes a difference and our customers agree. ;)

Not cheap, but a little bit goes a LOOOOOONG way. You can probably cut the suggested size in half and get same results. Also works on freshwater stuff. It will leave some color on the deck, but it washes right away at end of day.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Shoprite food coloring....green, red, or mix and get purple.

We add 20 parts salt water to 1 part dye in a 5 gallon bucket....key is to keep "recharging" them by dipping them in the bucket each time you check baits or reset your drift.

Make sure to put out at least one natural (no dye) as some nights that is the one that stands out and gets wacked.

I have found that the dye makes a difference when fishing the fuller moon phases when there is more light in the water, which is when we typically drop our baits down an extra 100 foot or so vs. lesser moon phases.

Don't forget the light....the little LP Diamond lights in purple are the ticket (no need to spend $50 on the larger flavor disco lights).

Catch em up.

Tight lines,

Frank

This is what I do as well.......and I always end up with Red hands for the next day!!

Tsunami tackle also makes a nice deep drop light that is only $19 and comes with a long-line clip :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Man I hate those red hands...people look at me the next day at work like I robbed a bank or something...lol.

See your from Fort Lauderdale.....drop me a PM or email and maybe we can grab a cold corona one day and exchange sword stories.....

[email protected]

How have they been chewing for you off Port Everglades lately?

Tight Lines,

Frank

This is what I do as well.......and I always end up with Red hands for the next day!!

Tsunami tackle also makes a nice deep drop light that is only $19 and comes with a long-line clip :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts