BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually head to VA(Wachapreague Area) to fish for early flounder the past 25 years.
With the price of gas I am seriously thinking of fishing the NJ back bays
this year.

How early in the year do the "early guys" start fishing for flounder?
What do you think the water temps have to be to get the early fish moving in from the ocean?

Thank you

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Whenever the law allows us to.Last year was early May,Not sure about this year yet!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Up north{Jersey} you can fish for winter flounder earlier than summer flounder.Not sure when the season opens but am sure if you do a little search you can find out.Not many caught in S.Jertsey any more.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
fluke will begin arriving in South Jersey back waters beginning Mid -March unless there is a sudden drop in water temps and given how this winter is going I doubt very much if there will be a severe drop. Sunny days ,outgoing tides with water coming off flats will find some of the biggest fish of the year . Problem for most is it will be catch and release until season opens. However, there will be some great days catching and releasing fluke right through April and little traffic to put up with
Key is sunny days
TAKE A CAMERA WITH YOU AND HANDLE THE FLUKE WITH EXTREME CARE
best bait will be fresh strips of any fresh bait you can get on a bucktail

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I start fishing the end of March for them behind oc. bucktails and meat bounced slow around feeder creeks and lagoon mouths do it for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts