BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
would love to run the new boat offshore to this water this weekend, but forecast looks terrible. Not only that, i'm sure the 10-20 degree temp break would make it a miserable last 15-20 miles even on a light and variable day. but if they call light and variable and a buddy boat wants to run let me know i'll go!! By the way if anyone goes be safe & tight lines to all.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I guess there always comes a time when we have to reveal our ignorance...haha...I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on weather and marine conditions / safety etc, having said that you can never know it all or be afraid to ask a question. A few of you have noted that a break of that extreme would cause some sloppy conditions....anyone care to elaborate....does the temperature discrepancy create a localized wind or is it larger seas from the mixing of the water?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like it is still attached to the GS and filling in...Captain Mark from the CR...any thoughts...I saw your comment on the other post, I was at the AC seminar which was awesome...from what I remember this seemed like something you guys were saying should have a good shot at producing fish

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
JSB said:
Well I guess there always comes a time when we have to reveal our ignorance...haha...I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on weather and marine conditions / safety etc, having said that you can never know it all or be afraid to ask a question. A few of you have noted that a break of that extreme would cause some sloppy conditions....anyone care to elaborate....does the temperature discrepancy create a localized wind or is it larger seas from the mixing of the water?
FISHED THE HUDSON ON THE GOLDEN EAGLE WITH A GROUP OF ABOUT 8 OF THE 28 ON BOARD.NOV 20TH 1988.FLAT CALM TILL WE APPROACHED THE HUDSON AN THEN THE FAN WAS ON FULL FORCE.WATER WAS 65.TOOK ALMOST AN HOUR TO SET THE TWO ANCHORS. WIND WAS OVER 30. FISHING WAS GREAT ON YF AND LONGFIN. SAW ONE OTHER BOAT ABOUT A 65' HATTERAS. I WAS ABOUT 20' FROM THE BOW AND STAIN AND A FRIEND WERE CLOSER AND THEY STARTED MOVING TOWARDS ME FAST AS ONE CAME WELL OVER THE BOW. WHEN WE LEFT IT SEEMED NO MORE THAN ABOUT A HALF HOUR AND THERE WAS NO WIND AGAIN. THE DIFFERENT WATER TEMP CAN CAUSE BIG WIND.
IN ABOUT 1990 WE WENT TO BARNAGET TO FISH IN APRIL OR EARLY MAY AND PUT IN AT BARNAGET CITY. WIND WAS BLOWING 20 NW AND THE BAY WAS NASTY AS WE RAN THE 4 OR 5 MILES TO THE INLET. THOUGHT WE WOULD GO NO FURTHER BUT AS WE LOOKED OUT WE COULD SEE A FEW BOATS OUT FRONT AND WE WENT SLOW TOWARDS THE END OF THE INLET AND THE WIND SHUT TOTATLY OFF FOR THE 3 HOURS OR SO WE WERE OUT THERE.CAME BACK INSIDE AND IT WAS BLOWING 20 NW.
HOW MANY TIMES IN SUMMER WHEN YOU FISH IT'S BEAUTIFULL AND AS YOU COME INTO THE INLET AND THE HEAT ANTHE WIND IS BLOWING GOOD.THE WARM AIR OVER THE LAND IS PULLING THE SW WIND IN. I'M NOT A WEATHERMAN BUT A DID STAY AT A HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS LAST NIGHT.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Looks like it is on the 100 now. Wonder how far is comes in?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just waiting for the right day

We have the crew and the boat will be ready following this weekend...... all we need is a good weather day and we may just take a crack at it. There has to be something there, especially when it looks like the tail end is still attached to the stream...... Tiles should be a minimum......

635 Posts
Here is the shot from My pay site, It is only about 74 miles from Cape May, but it will cost $1,800- $2,000 just in fuel there and back. (23 knots @ 60 gphx 3hours there and 3 hours back) Total fuel burn 360-400 gallons @ est. $4.50 +/-gallon, off course soft costs, bait, trolling, genny,crew
WWOOOOFFF, It is gonna be a tough year!!!!!

This season is gonna be the toughest in years. And to think I could do this trip on $500.00 in fuel 5 years ago (1.25- 1.40 gallon X 360-400 gal burn)
WE THE PEOPLE ARE GETTING RAPED AND THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT.
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Is diesel really $4.50 a gallon in wildwood? We were down in Avalon this weekend and meant to check but forgot.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. I hope someone takes a shot at that water soon.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts