BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of the NE coastal storms we've gotten and the cold temps in the gulf I'm starting to worry about next season. 2008 started out very slow for me and most of the other fisherman I know. The water temps were on the cool side for most of the season. Many blamed upwelling from coastal storms on the cold water. We've already had double the amount of coastal storms in late 2009 that we had in late 2007 and the gulf stream where we get our summer water from is off by almost 10 degrees right now.

Last season was a warm one, inshore temps were up about 5 degrees on average from 2008. I credit that for an abundance of triggerfish until november, catching big blackfish in the back until december and a red hot topwater bass bite through late november. I know we still have time,I'm hoping we get a warm up and no more NE'sters for the rest of the season. I'd love some more insight if anyone has any predictions about next season...I think we may have another slow start.:(

·
Registered
18,481 Posts
No sweat. Last year and this winter are nothing to worry about. March and April are the sixty days we need things to smooth out. And then we need May and June to keep their heads out of their arse. I think last June had about 97 days of rain. April felt more like December and just screwed up so much of the start up part of the season.

It will never be perfect especially when many depend on something called Saturday and Sunday to get out and play with the fish. Already the days are getting longer and it's not too far away from the point where the sunlight turns the fish towards us. From what I'm seeing here the back bays are right where they should be. Some ice here and there with no damge to plant or bottom life. Lots of shrimp and still some shiners to be found. We just need spring to be spring for a change. Gradual temperature rise as the days grow longer and inches not feet of fresh water into the system. While I'm making my wish list how about winds uder 20 and Mother Nature gets spanked anytime she blows over 30.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No sweat. Last year and this winter are nothing to worry about. March and April are the sixty days we need things to smooth out. And then we need May and June to keep their heads out of their arse. I think last June had about 97 days of rain. April felt more like December and just screwed up so much of the start up part of the season.

It will never be perfect especially when many depend on something called Saturday and Sunday to get out and play with the fish. Already the days are getting longer and it's not too far away from the point where the sunlight turns the fish towards us. From what I'm seeing here the back bays are right where they should be. Some ice here and there with no damge to plant or bottom life. Lots of shrimp and still some shiners to be found. We just need spring to be spring for a change. Gradual temperature rise as the days grow longer and inches not feet of fresh water into the system. While I'm making my wish list how about winds uder 20 and Mother Nature gets spanked anytime she blows over 30.
Fred I think we had something like 16" above normal for rain last season, its was very wet. June was tough and I think it rained every weekend from Labor Day on. Its was still great fishing wise even with all of that. Whats a day without wind in Blew Jersey:). I hope all the triggers come back next season along with the other warm water fish. My freezer is way too empty right now;).

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Relax, have a drink and stop worrying.

RyanF

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm hoping the cobia come back also. I haven't seen them in a couple years. Great fight and good eats. Hopefuuly this cold weather will kill some mosquito larvae so they aren't so bad.
I saw 2 this season Dan. One busted the surface around the boat on some bait a few times and then surfaced again 3 ft of the transom. He was huge. We fell all over each other trying to get to the heavier gear to get a line out, he took one look and went back below. Thank god I had a change of underwear on board:). I really want to catch one next season as well, I've never caught one in NJ before. We've come up with some cool ideas for next season I'd like to bounce off you sometime...

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
I'm hoping the cobia come back also. I haven't seen them in a couple years. Great fight and good eats. Hopefuuly this cold weather will kill some mosquito larvae so they aren't so bad.
I had a shot at one three diff. days but could not get a bite with out eels. When I did have some eels with me I did not see one.:mad: I also would see some spade fish but could never get a bite on them either.

I agree it was just to damn windy last year. There were to many days where it was just to snotty for me.

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
I had a shot at one three diff. days but could not get a bite with out eels. When I did have some eels with me I did not see one.:mad: I also would see some spade fish but could never get a bite on them either.

I agree it was just to damn windy last year. There were to many days where it was just to snotty for me.
you need to buy a big sportfish....and let me run it :D

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you need to buy a big sportfish....and let me run it :D
Josh if you can't sell the skiff I have an idea...

We'll even name the piece Josh's Wreck...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you'll need 6 danforths, 2 wreck anchors and , 6 markers to get over top of it:D

Insomniac can take care of that while I have a beer and wait to drop..:razz:

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Josh, you are selling the skiff? Is it up in the barn sale?

Shoot me an email with some info.

RyanF

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I hope we get the warm waters again this year too.... Makes for good diving, I want to find some bigger sheepshead in the back, do some offshore weedline diving for mahi..

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Just before Christmas a member of our family passed away after a bout with cancer. Around the same time, my wife found out that the spot on her mammogram wasn't cancer (than God). Seemingly every day another great American makes the ultimate sacrifice in Afghanistan or Iraq or some other [email protected] hole.

This year, I'm just going to be thankful for my time on the water and try not to get too hung up in how much I caught, the regulations, jerks on their water bikes etc. etc.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.