BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys eat your catches. I alway like to take some home for dinner from the salt but wondered how you guys feel about keeping from fresh water. For instance I would be interested in the catfish. I know you can get some bigger ones in the bigger rivers around the Philly area but wonder if the meat is good to go or not.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was just looking at the regs, I could only find regs on Channel Cats. 5 at 12 inches. Does that mean they are the only ones you can keep or the only ones with limits?

·
Registered
190 Posts
The state of PA recommends only eating one meal per month from the Tidal Delaware , Skuke, etc due to PCB contaminant thsi is for ctafish (channel and flathead)

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
I wouldn't eat ANYTHING from the rivers around here....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dirty Rotten said:
I was just looking at the regs, I could only find regs on Channel Cats. 5 at 12 inches. Does that mean they are the only ones you can keep or the only ones with limits?
That is only for inland waters in NJ no limits in the Delaware River

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I second RJG's post, I wouldn't eat fish out of these rivers. Polution, PCB's, sewage plants, mine run off, street and parking lot drains, no thanks.
Have a sausage instead.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Flyguy784 said:
I second RJG's post, I wouldn't eat fish out of these rivers. Polution, PCB's, sewage plants, mine run off, street and parking lot drains, no thanks.
Have a sausage instead.

Put me on at number 3. No way I eat freshwater fish from around here.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dirty Rotten said:
Any of you guys eat your catches. I alway like to take some home for dinner from the salt but wondered how you guys feel about keeping from fresh water. For instance I would be interested in the catfish. I know you can get some bigger ones in the bigger rivers around the Philly area but wonder if the meat is good to go or not.

Any thoughts?
check fishsmarteatsmartnj.org for fish advisories. Basicly both salt and freshwater fish come with with consumption advisories of amounts to eat. Some fish you can eat once a week, some a few time per year, and some never. It all depends on type of fish and the area from wich you catch it. Some lakes it will be ok to eat catfish others catfish are listed as do not eat.

However, don't forget this:

If you fish a lake and it says you can safely eat one meal per month of cat fish and 3 meals per month of large mouthbass you can not combine. Thus if you ate that one meal of catfish no bass that month.

For those of you who think this only applies to fresh water there plenty of advisories for saltwater fish also. AND its not a Jersey thing this is everywhere for most of the country. So don't get all scared to eat your catch. There are also suggestions of how much red meat to eat or eggs and we eat them all the time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
One last thing guys who think that freshwater fish are not safe to eat follow this:

1) Drums get dumped onto a empty lot
2) the chemicals leak out of the drums and into the ground
3) eventually the chemicals get into a under ground stream that feeds the lake where the fish are so now the fish are not good to eat.
4) the under ground stream also feeds the well that farmer Jones uses to feed his chickens, pigs, and cows.
5) Farmer Jones sells his animals to the marktet who turns them into steaks, pork chops, and yummy buffalo wings.
6) You don't eat the fish but you eat the steaks, pork chops, and yummy bufffalo wings.

OR have you or anyone you know purchased a newly constructed home that was built on land that used to be a farm? Have the soil tested and see whats in there. Yes the builder most likely removed the top layers of the soil but how far down did they remove? All those chemicals that the farmer used for the last fifty years where did they go?

Don't go crazy about this stuff. You can't avoid the pollution but you can manage it. Even those of us who have city water there are levels of stuff in the water but it is at safe levels ( or so we are told). Anyhow if you want to eat your fish go ahead. I don't eat many freshwater fish myself because I just don't like the taste of them. I prefer my PCPS to come from stripers and fluke.:)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yes... I eat a meal of panfish (crappies, perch, bluegills) every once in a while.

I don't think I would eat anything taken out of the Delaware or Schuylkill rivers. At least in Philly or an industrial area.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I wouldn't eat catfish, especially out of the Delaware because they eat all the dead stuff off the bottom. I do occasionally though eat some crappie or perch out of ponds by me.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's about what I thought I would hear unfortuanately. It's a shame really. I was under the impression the Delaware and Skukill have gotten cleaner over the years but never really fished them to know first hand. I might try it anyway. Between the Coffee, Beer and Cigarettes I don't see how throwing a little Mercury in the mix is going to hurt too much!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
only thing i'll eat out of the freshwater around here is the stripers when they run

·
Registered
286 Posts
Freshwater fish are fine. With cats only eat the white belly cats they feed on mainly live bait. The yellow belly cats are the scavengers and I have heard not ot eat them. But crabs are scavengers as well and are deliciuos. I took this advise from an old timer here in South Jersey. I also think generally speaking freshwater fish from moving water are better than lakes and ponds due to stagnant water in the summer. Crappies and small bass are pretty good.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Trout/Tapilia

I'll eat trout from freshwater lakes & rivers and Tapilia from the dump in Bordentown:D .

·
Registered
89 Posts
MMMmmmmmgood

If it's not a female loaded with eggs.. I will take a striper in March outta the DE river.. The better half takes one fillet and makes crab imperial out of it, then with the other fillet she rolls it up and bakes it.. mmMMMmmm

1 - 20 of 36 Posts