BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's done it and how?

I hear of people smoking them and scraping the meat off the bones and it's supposed to be very good, but I just can't bring myself to try it. Had an hour to kill today and only managed a few big ladys...got me thinking...fishcakes?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
I think I would try for trout first.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some days the specks are schooling and easy to get some keepers, but some days the keepers (15") are few and far between. And I've "heard" the Ladys taste better?

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
last march i was down at clammin franks for a few day of fishing,seeing the area and frank and i are practicing our distant running. He also taught me how to drink a large manatten. A couple days i think it was 2 large.
we trolled just outside a pass and got a bunch of spanish mack's a sm blue a jack and a ladyfish. Went out the pass another and anchored about 30 to 40' and casted to almost the sand and caught a load of southern kingfish.
frank said thelady was no good to eat. His wife fried us up a great meal and i tried the ladyfish. It was a super soft almmost mushy and wasn't terrible but i tried . It is a great fighter and a pretty fish.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, If BJ doesn't like it I guess I won't even try....but those spanish mack's I actually like, and most people don't. Nobody likes the Jacks from what I hear? They do work good in the crab trap though!

I got a friend that will try anything (actually she will cook anything and I'll try it too ;)) To be continued.....

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
crevalles are NASTY blech. I dont think i could bring myself to eat a ladyfish.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
last march i was down at clammin franks for a few day of fishing,seeing the area and frank and i are practicing our distant running. He also taught me how to drink a large manatten. A couple days i think it was 2 large.
we trolled just outside a pass and got a bunch of spanish mack's a sm blue a jack and a ladyfish. Went out the pass another and anchored about 30 to 40' and casted to almost the sand and caught a load of southern kingfish.
frank said thelady was no good to eat. His wife fried us up a great meal and i tried the ladyfish. It was a super soft almmost mushy and wasn't terrible but i tried . It is a great fighter and a pretty fish.

Just to expound a little further, Jack didn't even finish the ladyfish! Way too boney and soft. Too many other delectibles from the sea to even screw with them. Fun to catch and grouper like them chunked. The local bald eagles love them. Kudos to Jack for trying them. My wife did balk about roasting up a possum that he brought with him from NC or SC or GA! And we do like broiled Spanish Macs!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
chop them up in chunks and catch grouper and giant red snapper with them. Then release said grouper and snapper as we cant keep them. But eat ladyfish? No way! Thats like eating spider crab.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.