BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else bought one of these new Ford engines in an F150? Fuel mileage around town and highway?

I leased a F150 XLT in late Oct, Super cab. DR Blue Tan cloth interior. 3.55LS gears, 4 x4. Really it's just bone XLT.

Truck has 4600 on it now and I'm averaging 19.5mpg between in town and hi way. Probably 60/40%. Got 23.7mpg going to Maine in Dec and averaged 22.3 for the whole trip

Only reason I'm asking is I can't believe the mileage with the power it has?? 213 cubic in engine that will tear the rubber off it if you stand on it... 365hp with 420 ft lbs or torque at 2500 rpms. It ran away from a buddy of mines 2010 Yota with the 381hp engine with 4.30 gears on the road between the free bridge and toll bridge in North Wildwood. We tried it twice then he drove my truck and couldn't believe how effortlessly the Ecoboost moved.. That's the thing, no wild RPM's...the truck just flies up to speed without the engine screaming.

I've owned trucks since the 76' Blazer, my best truck was an 84 F250HD with a 460 engine till this one. Haven't towed anything yet, but with all the low end grunt this mother has it shouldn't have a problem winning.

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
We have 2 here at the job site in Utah, over 6,000 elevation and they are averaging around 20 mpg. Makes you take a second look at them. The Job is going to be selling them at the end of the project in about 3 months, I'm seriously considering one.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, I'd jump on one with both feet if I were you.. Mine just amases me every time I drive it...

You really need to be carefull with it in the rain. The back tires break loose so easy just touching the gas pedal.

Dead quite idle, it's just kind of clicks when she's idling.. They say it's a DFI engine. Direct Fuel Injection like the Etec's except it's 4 stroke V6...

You can take off getting up to speed. If you hold the pedal so it never gets over 2500 for the first 4 gears it still bury's you in the seat with pull.. You can do that with maybe a 1/4" pedal...

Like I said mine is a 3.55LS rear. The 3.73's must be crazy..

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Direct injection is the way to go. My brothers BMW 335 coupe is a 350 hp rocket that gets over 30 mpg on a trip and doesn't do to bad around town. I know you won't agree but when they start direct injecting the new Yamahas we will probably see the final chapter on the 2-stroke outboard.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Damn, I wish I would of gotten the Eco Boost. I bought a 2011 Lariat back in October with the 6.2L motor. Sucks the fuel down! I am looking at 14mpg normally, combination of town and highway driving.

But with the deal I got I could pay for alot of fuel! Dealer took over 10K off the price.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I'm going to be in the market for a new F150 within a year. I was actually going to stay away from the eco because isn't it essentially a turbo? I was afraid of the reliability at 70K and greater miles.

Ford has been doing great things and I would think they have that worked out. Just nervous. Maybe I will take a second look.

-Matt

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Turbo issues have gone down considerably. Heat destroyed them and computers keep on top of that. Most engines in the future will be 4 cylinder or less turbos. Note Dunk leased his so if any long term issues turn up he hands the truck back to Ford.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Color me skeptical. You know what happens to marine diesels when the manuf ring out the extra hp. Granted these are a long way from a GM 6-71TIB.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Damn, I wish I would of gotten the Eco Boost. I bought a 2011 Lariat back in October with the 6.2L motor. Sucks the fuel down! I am looking at 14mpg normally, combination of town and highway driving.

But with the deal I got I could pay for alot of fuel! Dealer took over 10K off the price.
I thought that engine only came in the Raptor?? I looked at those also, but 45-50K in truck wasn't in the cards.. Even the Lariat.... I've been sitting on Ford Leather seats for the last 7yrs... A damn park bench is more comfortable... Hard as a rock and the only leather to them is what you sit on.. The sides are plastic... Whatever I love the cloth seats in this bone XLT...and they don't need heated in the winter..

So I'm fooling with this truck a few weeks ago. I've got my foot on the brake and I'm giving it gas, the back tires start to spin. Torque converter in the trans locks up at about 2000rpms from what I can figure and the way it felt. I let off the brake and floor the pedal. Smoke pours from the rear wheel wells, rpms climb to 6000 and it shifts into 3rd gear, rear tires are still smoking, truck is moving at 25-30mph and the tach hits 6K again and it shifts into 4th gear, it's still spinning the rear tires till it gets to about 5000rpms. Then the tires bite and stop spinning. I'm looking in the rear veiw mirror and not believeing it. 5500lb truck with a 213 cu inch V6 just laid down 200ft of burning rubber with both tires..

Granted they are only 235 x 75 x 17" tires....but...420ftlbs of torque will do that..

I know I have to be really, really careful with her in the rain. Just a little pedal in the rain will break both tires loose..

Making a run to Georgia and back over a long weekend this week. Should give me a better idea of fuel burn. I'm betting it's going to be way over 21-22mpg..

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Sounds impresive. Me, I would wait to buy one after a couple years of these being on the road. Leasing is a no lose proposistion from a risk standpoint on a new model.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
google ECO Boost Test & see how bad ford beat these motors & they kept running.

·
Registered
32,370 Posts
I've got my foot on the brake and I'm giving it gas, the back tires start to spin. Torque converter in the trans locks up at about 2000rpms from what I can figure and the way it felt. I let off the brake and floor the pedal. Smoke pours from the rear wheel wells, rpms climb to 6000 and it shifts into 3rd gear, rear tires are still smoking, truck is moving at 25-30mph and the tach hits 6K again and it shifts into 4th gear, it's still spinning the rear tires till it gets to about 5000rpms. Then the tires bite and stop spinning. I'm looking in the rear veiw mirror and not believeing it. 5500lb truck with a 213 cu inch V6 just laid down 200ft of burning rubber with both tires..
Damn!!! Do you get unlimited free tires? :D

I test drove the Eco-Boost and the 5.0 before I bought mine. I thought the Eco-boost was pretty impressive but the 5.0 felt like it was right there with it. I chose the 5.0 because I love the sound of that V8.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Bought ours March last year. I tow a 7000 lb boat / trailer and it tows as well as the F250 with a 6.0 diesel. Milage is great if you can keep your foot out of it too. Just over 16k on it now and runs and looks great. Milage while towing gets cut about in half but at 9 -11 depending how fast you want to go it is almost the same as the diesel was. When you consider the difference in cost of fuel and maintenance I think we come out well ahead.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Damn!!! Do you get unlimited free tires? :D

I test drove the Eco-Boost and the 5.0 before I bought mine. I thought the Eco-boost was pretty impressive but the 5.0 felt like it was right there with it. I chose the 5.0 because I love the sound of that V8.
I did the same thing and went with the 5.0 Truck is 2 weeks old and averaging 14.5 mostly city with lots of hills. Have to run up to north Jersey this weekend so will see what we get. All I no is its allot better than the 08 F 250 with the 6.4 diesel that we traded on the 150. That truck would pull a house down but was really bad on fuel and getting worse around 10 city :eek: Eco boost is a great idea but so was the 6.4 diesel in 08 everyone who has one knows how that turned out, Horrible fuel mileage unless you drive it like a pruis on the parkway at 50 MPH.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts