BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday I netted a striper, and after getting it out of the net, there was an eel about 6" long on the deck. Shaped more like a salamander though. I picked it up, and it immediatly attached itself to my finger :eek: I pulled it off, and the mouth looked like a lamprey. I have seen a lot of lampreys, and the rest didn't look like them. Looked like an eye on each side about 1/2" back. The lamps have portholes(55 buick type) on the sides. Thx, VAL

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Val........There is a sea lamprey that could have been what you saw. As far as I know, there is only one species of salt water lampreys. I have never seen one on a striper. I believe they vary in color but the undersides are lighter then the top sides. A hagfish is a similar species but they have no visible eyes.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Could they be the cause of some of the sores on the sides of our stripers? Did you notice any marks on the striper or did it come out of the belly?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It "looked" like eyes. Not sure if it was. Suction mouth. Appeared to be darker on top. Thicker toward the front. It was on the deck. Don't know if it came off or out of the fish.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Originally posted by Striper101:
Did it look like this?

That looks like a Lampery

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would say yes. Didn't seem to have fins though. Probably was. Friend cut it up and threw away before I could do "proper" id!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts