BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
IM SURE THAT THEY WOULD BE FINE, NEITHER IS A PREDATORY SPECIES, THUS UNLESS SOMEONE GETS REALLY HUNGRY I DONT THINK THEY WOULD ATTACK ONE ANOTHER

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I dont know man. Iv'e been penning baits for a long time there is a pecking order in that thing. Spot are can be brutal to weaker spot and crockers. they love to eat crockers when penned together. The eels may lose. but all you need for the eels is a minnow bucket. You may have a difficult time netting the eels out of the pen around say 2 in the moring very quick and slippery. As far as being predators, I have seen mini spot blitzes on spearing, never put minnows in with anything those little suckers are piranas. Also important is to feed your spot whenever you can to keep them from beating each other up. They see a weaker fish in the pen it is lunch time. goodluck

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Originally posted by insomniac:
I dont know man. Iv'e been penning baits for a long time there is a pecking order in that thing. Spot are can be brutal to weaker spot and crockers. they love to eat crockers when penned together. The eels may lose. but all you need for the eels is a minnow bucket. You may have a difficult time netting the eels out of the pen around say 2 in the moring very quick and slippery. As far as being predators, I have seen mini spot blitzes on spearing, never put minnows in with anything those little suckers are piranas. Also important is to feed your spot whenever you can to keep them from beating each other up. They see a weaker fish in the pen it is lunch time. goodluck
I learned the hard way....lost over a 100 spot...but it has stabelized since I start feeding them! Noticed them picking off grass shrimp the other day!

[ 10-15-2005, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: striper2278 ]

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I think we all learned the hard way skip. lol
experiance is an sob. Not a cheap mistake either

·
Registered
219 Posts
Insomniac,
You are full of useful information, thanks for tips on caring for spot, the only fish that I have found that will do well with spot are pinfish , like you said only the strong survive, I believe the spot tear the croakers up , because of being in close quarters with a noisy fish,like a guy snoring in the bunk next to you on a Tuna Trip, you would love to clean his clock.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Originally posted by striper2278:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by insomniac:
I learned the hard way....lost over a 100 spot...but it has stabelized since I start feeding them! Noticed them picking off grass shrimp the other day! </font>[/QUOTE]what was in the pen with the spot are you saying the eels would eat them or the other spot just wondering

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Originally posted by Fish n Bandit:
Insomniac,
You are full of useful information, thanks for tips on caring for spot, the only fish that I have found that will do well with spot are pinfish , like you said only the strong survive, I believe the spot tear the croakers up , because of being in close quarters with a noisy fish,like a guy snoring in the bunk next to you on a Tuna Trip, you would love to clean his clock.
Great analogy! :D

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Originally posted by gilhop:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by striper2278:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by insomniac:
I learned the hard way....lost over a 100 spot...but it has stabelized since I start feeding them! Noticed them picking off grass shrimp the other day! </font>[/QUOTE]what was in the pen with the spot are you saying the eels would eat them or the other spot just wondering </font>[/QUOTE]Spot one, eels nothing, spot might eat them

·
Registered
341 Posts
Spot have a nasty way of injurying and killing anything in a pen. like the chinese torture death of a thousand cuts. They first chew off the pectoral fins then they'll nip at the tail untill its gone. and as the other fish or eels kinda wiggle on the bottom of the pen they'll eat the bellies out first. So I would not put anything else in a pen with them. Also as a side note do not leave any dead fish in the pen always remove them and don't use fish carcasses as food only ground chum or chopped fine baits to feed. The rotting carcess can build bacteria up and make the others sick or bacteria sores and kill the others.FYI. Thanks Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts