BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Ive never tried fishing live eels from the surf before so i was thinking of giving it a try this year, but am curious as to the best time of year? Are they more of a Fall affair, year round, day, night? Would early season bass even touch them? and before i get yelled at....i did use the search and couldnt find the answer :D Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
If you're close to a rockpile or jetty it may work. Guys have more success with eels in NY and farther north due to the rocky shorelines and structure underwater off the surf, but around jetties its money from what Ive been told. Ive never caught bass on eels so I wouldnt know but Ive had fish slam them in BI, never hooked up though.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I have caught on eels from the surf. You can not deadstik an eel. It will ball your line in a heartbeat. Gotta keep it moving. Cast them out and slow retrieve back. Around jetties is the place as stated, especially the inlet jetties.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Or you could fish pre rigged eels.I know there dead but the have awesome action.This method has been around for years.You can see how to rig them on you tube.

FC

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Jetty

As stated......at night from a jetty is your best eel bet. Hold it firmly at the head(with a rag, scotchbrite pads work well too) and slam it a couple times on a rock, that will stun it for awhile and you won't have a balled mess. Bring it in after 10 mins or so if you don't get a bite and check it out. It should still be alive. Repeat.

As for the beach, FRESH surf clams and FRESH bunker are your best bet, I'd go with the clam over the bunker if down south. LbI and north, bunker is #1.

Dave

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
eels are deadly for stripers off the jetties at night. I had much better luck fishing eels up north(RI, Montauk, Etc) but they do work here. I generally prefer them in the late spring/summer nights right on through the fall. Very simple rig, mainline to swivel to leader to snelled 5/0-7/0 livebait or octopus gami. Hook through both lips (our through bottom lip and out one eye), cast out and slowwww retrive, keep your tip high. WHen you feel a take drop the tip wait till you come tight (or reel up the slack) than cross her eyes. We fish the boat all summer long with eels and have done quite well on those hot summer nights:D

·
Registered
2,292 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
or you can rig 9" Sluggos as eel imitations, there also some very realistic rubber eels on the market. you can also get a Wobble head from PT Jude lures in R.I. that will give a rubber or rigged dead eel fantastic action

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the pointers guys. Maybe ill give it a try. what the hell, always looking to try something different. I just wasnt sure if it would be a wast of time (and money) in the spring/summer nights

and i have seen those artificials with the st. jude wobble heads. Really cool action. Maybe ill give that a try first.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Thanks for all the pointers guys. Maybe ill give it a try. what the hell, always looking to try something different. I just wasnt sure if it would be a wast of time (and money) in the spring/summer nights

and i have seen those artificials with the st. jude wobble heads. Really cool action. Maybe ill give that a try first.
Go to the Pt Jude site and look at the eel bobs, some pretty cool stuff. They have a section on the old time lead.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Eels, Bridges and the cover of night! = Huge Stripers

Me, Enzo ( a Barn member) and my friend Anthony fished under the 59th St bridge in New York the Saturday after Thanksgiving on a Charter out of Liberty State marina using eels. Murdered ( literally) Stripers from 20 lbs up to about 35 lbs all day long. I didn t keep any, but it was really fun our arms got so tired we switch over to togging . The point being don't over look Bridges while using eels especially at night I'm sure even larger stripers were there ( the Marks on the Sonar were huge) but getting them night shift Cows to bite during the day was hard.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.