BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking For An Answer,inspired By The Post The Flounder Were Throwing Up Baby Flounder. Fred At No-bonner Has Been Catching Large Eels At The Dock During The Middle Of The Day. I Have Never Caught An Eel In The Back In Daylight Or Seen One.fred Thinks It's Strange Also.these Are Way Beyond Striper Bait Size.i Have Caught Plenty In The Evening.fred Has Fished Off The Dock For About 4 Year And Been Daytime Ellless. Any Thoughts????

BW--WHAT DO YOU THINK??

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
that's some deep thinking there biggest, what did you guys run out of doughnuts?;)

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
IN 50 YEARS OF FISHING I can only remember catching 2 eels in daylight and that was late in the year

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I watched my buddy one day catch one during the day off a jetty in Cape May that had to be 4 feet long and as thick as a coke can. He caught it on a surf clam. It was the biggest I ever saw.:eek:

GSBB

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gsbb--in The Ocean Yes. To Me In The Back With Willie Who Puts So Much Time In .fred Who Over The Years Has Seen Dam Near Everything. It's Not Earthshaking But Trying To Come Up With An Answer Is Drawing Blanks.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I watch the kids catch them all season long over at Schooner Island right at the slip. Some of them are really big. An older Italian gentelman loves to eat them.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Got quite a few snakes off the queer pier back in the day, all in the daylight.

Uhhh, eels, I'm talking about... ;)

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Between Bw,fred And Me We Are Over 125 Years And 5 Eel's In The Same Area In Daylight.let's Here More.

·
Registered
421 Posts
When I was a young boy, I would fish from the sod banks in Ventnor Hieghts and catch eels for my grandmom. I use to fish a slack low tide and use mussels for bait. Grandmom would eat anything that swam.

Tight Lines & Safe Returns,
Saltshaker

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My nephews catch them quite often fishing off the boat in the marina before or after we go out. Not that uncommon up in the barnegat area.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ive caught plenty of eels in the backbays around drag channel. Always at dead low tide. they are a pain, and if I don't get them loose quick enough, they coil up my rigs and I have to cut the hooks off and start over.:mad:

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
always caught eels as a kid(Scotch Bonnett area) in daytime. Very early in the incoming tide was the best time

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
While crabbing in the Patcong River were a harrassed by BIG eels all the time. They grab a whole Mackeral and go into a twist and pull of giant chunks. I swiped at a few with a dipnet and whipped them into the boat. What a shock to thier system it must have been when I smashed their heads and used them as crab bait. One time I caught 5 cabs at once.....they were lined up from head to tail!

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Caught a few in the back bays during the day but of course more at night. I get them on the wrecks during the day.
When I was a kid, I caught one during the day in a very small blow-up boat. It was way to big to bring in the boat. Had to row to shore to un-hook it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts