BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that eels work well as striper bait in the bay but is there a certain time of year that these are used? I read the reports and especially the Susky flats areas but they talk about fresh herring as the key bait right now. It got me to thinking about an incident a number of years ago where I came across a few Asian gentlemen fishing for eels under the bridge in the Chester Creek while I was on duty one night. Has anyone harvested their own eels from a creek and used them as bait for stripers?

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Heart said:
I know that eels work well as striper bait in the bay but is there a certain time of year that these are used? I read the reports and especially the Susky flats areas but they talk about fresh herring as the key bait right now. It got me to thinking about an incident a number of years ago where I came across a few Asian gentlemen fishing for eels under the bridge in the Chester Creek while I was on duty one night. Has anyone harvested their own eels from a creek and used them as bait for stripers?
I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR FISHING FOR A GOOD PART OF THE FUN IS TRYING DIFFERENT THINGS--YOU WILL HAVE MANY FAILURES BUT THE ONES THAT WORK YOU'LL REMEMBER FOREVER AND PROBABLY INCORPORATE IT INTO THE WAY YOU FISH FOR THATH KIND.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you

Thanks fishbreath, not that I had researched it all that much, but I didn't know that.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would catch them in my minnow trap every time I left it in over night in back creek guess alot of creeks have eels. throw over a trap with bread and check it in the morning.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Heart,
Up in Raritan bay, we use eels mostly in the fall. I like to drift them in the rips. But if you can find Herring, you can bet the Bass are on there asses. We hardly get any Herring up here anymore.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have two eel traps that I made a couple of years back, I throw them in a few creeks down my way, Especially in the later part of the summer. Then I pen up the eels for the fall rips fishing...I also use them now and then in the inlet for stripers....

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I used to work in Springfield, and those gentlemen's cousins used to fish the Darby for eels, but they were eating them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
A lot of people actually don't know eels are the opposite of herring and bass in that they spend most of their lives in freshwater and spawn in saltwater. When eels are first born in the open ocean they can detect somehow any freshwater outflows into bays and they go up these to find a lake or pond. So if you find a saltwater creek that turns fresh you probably will have a lot of luck with eels. Only thing is you got to be careful where regulations say that creek is now freshwater because I don't think you can trap in freshwater. If I could put my eel trap in one of our local lakes I know I would be set for eels for life!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts