BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should you use big eels or small eels and if you use big eels should you put more then one hook in him... where do you put the hook at.. just looking to see what people do when rigging eels and do you use fish finder rigs...

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Philly- I hook the eels throught the lower jaw and out the nose. Works for me! Sometimes the smaller eels work better- sometimes the bigger eels work better.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I like eels better then 10" since I am a believer in big baits = big fish. a 24" bass can swallow a 12" ell with no problem. so why not go bigger. The bigger the eel the longer I let the fish take it. I hook through bot eyes so it can breath naturally.

[ 09-01-2005, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Gilly21 ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Use one hook! Stripers inhale food so you don't have to worry about them striking short. Just give them the time to gobble it down before you set the hook.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I used to think that the bigger the eel, the bigger the fish. I am not so sure now.

They attack the head, are voracious feeders, and when hungry will eat most anything.

What I have found that when I catch a striper, and he bloodies, but does not kill the eel, the wounded eel will on most occassions attract another striper. the obvious question would be "Why don't you start out with a bloodied eel?" I think some guys do it, but I have not yet tried it.....Gene

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
One hook, and both big and small eels catch big fish. I have caught 40lb. plus bass on eels, both big and small!

Oh yeah - hook them through the lower jaw and out an eye socket.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Originally posted by TheAdamBomb:
Oh yeah - hook them through the lower jaw and out an eye socket.
Doesn't that make them swim in circles ;) ?

Do you prefer a right cirling eel, or left? :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.