BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to find out what my best options are for my new CC Tidewater..

Does anyone recommend one over the other? Also who installs it in South Jersey?

Thanks..

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
eisenglass for the sides of the enclosure and strataglass to attach fro the bottom of the electronics box to the windshield...the canvas lady did mine a few years ago...was very happy with what she did...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Joe, if your doing just the console area, use one of the new hard materials. Give Costa marine in Egg Harbor a call, their Costa Clear is the closest you'll get to glass. A little more money than the strataglass, but for up here in this area where it may be used alot it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Give Chris at Costa a call. He may be a little more money but there product and workmanship is tops. I have tried others who may or may not be sponsors of this board and was very disappointed in the sub par quality and workmanship. I wound up going to Costa and having them redo the crap the other person did. So basically had to pay for it twice.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Agreed on the hard product for best visibility. However, from my own experience and research it is best to stay away from coated products - especially in our area. The reason is etching of the coating that is caused by polluted rain and other contaminants in the air.

True Strataglass is hard coated, but their Crystal Clear version is not. The CC may scratch easier, but you can polish it out. Coated products cannot be polished.

Most all of the hard glass used currently in our area is 60 mil uncoated acrylic. It is not as strong or scratch resistant as coated polycarbonate, but can be polished and does not etch.

I was very happy with the work done by Carl Pellegrini at Sea Canvas.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I was very happy with what Costa did on my Sea Vee. I'm sure I could save a few bucks elsewhere, but I will use Costa again on the next boat.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Costa

Chris Costa for Costa Marine Canvas is at the AC boat show this week...so he may not get back to you til after the weekend....If you get a chance go see him at the show in the 700 row of the marketplace and you can see some of his fine work on display.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
used to be called EZ2CY before the patent expired, now called Costa Clear. Dont bother with Eisen or stratoglass. If you limit yourself to those two, pick a thicker Eisen, as stratoglass is JUNK

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Do yourself a favor and give Grahams a call, 10 years of hard fishing on all this canvas

Before........even with spray rails, when its snotty we get some spray.....the black fin can take more than we are willing to put up with:D

After......its so nice to be warm, dry and in the middle of a mad dog trolling bite in november in 3-5' seas;)

I grew up getting wet......If we were heading offshore it was a given...we were getting wet, the right enclosure changed all of that, we did it right and have followed the care advice given...and it has lasted and kept us dry. Make no mistake about it...there is a love hate relatonship with the plastic, love staying warm and dry....hate cleaning and polishing it.....ill take the extra work to stay dry any day;)......lots of people can make a quality enclosure....getting one that is functional and that will last and take a beating and not tear out grommets, zippers failing.....snaps pulling through...well thats another ball game.

Just a plug for a barn sponser that has done us right.......even if Grahams wasnt a sponser I would have emailed you the contact because our experiance has been that good.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
We've stepped away from strataglass in recent years. It's great at mot scratching but it tends to get a bit of a milky color to it after a few years. Hence we're doing a combination of a hard front panel (costaclear/EZ2CY) and eisenglass sides. Costa Canvas does top notch work. They're not the cheapest but the quality is amazing. Every Viking/Ocean/Egg Harbor etc. leaving the factories has their enclosures.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We've stepped away from strataglass in recent years. It's great at mot scratching but it tends to get a bit of a milky color to it after a few years. Hence we're doing a combination of a hard front panel (costaclear/EZ2CY) and eisenglass sides. Costa Canvas does top notch work. They're not the cheapest but the quality is amazing. Every Viking/Ocean/Egg Harbor etc. leaving the factories has their enclosures.
2 Phone calls and an email and no response...:huh:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Poor Response

Joe,

I had the same results when I emailed them. Sent 2 emails asking for information on a surround for my boat and no answers. I guess you have to drive the boat down into their parking lot before it becomes of interest to them...:thumbsdown: They do have a good reputation on their work though...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Seriously guys, if you're looking for top shelf quality at a reasonable price look up Carl at Sea Canvas. Sorry he's not a sponsor here, but is the best advice I can give regardless.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You can also add Henriques to the list. I asked them at the AC show who they are using now and it is Costa.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts