BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I will be installing a new fishfinder/gps combo as soon as the weather gives me a chance.

I want to do an "in dash" mount instead of a bracket mount, but that would include cutting into the console and patching some of the existing holes from the previous owner's electronic mounts.

I was wondering if any of you could give some insight on the best way to patch holes in the console. Also, does anyone have any tips, tricks of the trade, etc. for doing in-dash mounts with electronics?

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I used a piece of starboard and cover the existing console including the old holes, and then mounted the new electronics through both the starboard and console.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas....

I should have specified....these are small holes drilled through the top of the console for the wires to the electronics that were previously bracket mounted (and thre accompanying screws).

Would bondo work?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Pacman

Filling the holes with bondo or anything else will require repainting or gel coating. Very hard to make it match the old gelcoat without getting crazy. Why not just put screws with finish washers back through the holes?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Pacman said:
Thanks fellas....

I should have specified....these are small holes drilled through the top of the console for the wires to the electronics that were previously bracket mounted (and thre accompanying screws).

Would bondo work?
I think Marine-Tex is stronger than Bondo if you don't have to gelcoat over and is great if you have to redrill near part of the old hole.

Mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
Patching holes

Second the motion on white marine tex.....does a great job!!​

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Filling it unless you are an expert at fiberglass work will still look shoddy. Is there any way you can run a strip of wood,starboard,lexan,stainless ets across the top of the dash to cover the wholes and give the whole dash a more profesional look? If you want them filled take it to a fiberglass pro unless you dont care about how it looks. If so I would fill it with solar resin fill available at any surf shop. Mix a little white coloring or foam dust in.
Place masking tape underneath large holes or clear packing tape on top of small screw holes. Fill from the oposite side and it will harden rock solid in about 15 minutes. The one you fill from the top you will need to sqegie the resin with an old credit card till it looks fairly smooth. You can wetsand later to get it real smooth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts