BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you guys think about the Raymarine E120 and other combo units, wondering what to outfit boat with?

Sorry , boat is the 290 pilot by Everglades, 29 ft center console with enclosed pilot house, Budget for all electronics including installation is betwwen 8-9,000. Radar, GPS,Plotter, radar and milling the thought around for Sirruis weather but at present I am totally ignorant to the weather unit, how it works, is it cost effective and practical and of course do I really need it is the big question!!

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
I'd say go with a Furuno combo, and those new Garmins look real nice.

Although I am currently running a Lowrance sounder that I've been happy with, the Furunos are hard to beat. Navigation wise, Garmin is tops in my book. Bang for your buck and user friendliness.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Whats your budget ?

E120 networked or Furuno networked can run you a few bucks as with the Garmin network.

If you are looking for a unit that is gps/ff and a decent size screen check out Lowrance and Norstar 8.4 in. screens for around 1800 bucks.

Check out all the Manf. sites and you will get a feel for what you want.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So IM seeing you guys arent to crazy about the raymarine units...... interesting, I thought they were top shelf

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
bigeye joe said:
What do you guys think about the Raymarine E120 and other combo units, wondering what to outfit boat with?
The Raymarine Eseries are great
Second to none at integrating multiple inputs such as radar, GPS, bottom finder, Sat weather
I have two 80's, same unit but smaller monitor
You will not be disapointed

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Bigeye,
I have been using the Raymarine E series for 3 years now and the c before that as well as the Pathfinder series before them. If you are going to put one display on the vessel, either the E or C will be excellent. As Dr. Bass said, the units are excellent. they are also very easy to use. Turn the FF n and it works. No need for adustment , eliminates clutter and that surface turbulence, and shows you fish so clearly that you can count them. The big difference between the c and E series is that the E is meant to be networked with multiple displays able to show any input. The C series is designed as a stand alone unit. The only thing that the E will do that the C can't is video and the 3d view of the bottom. I fish the units 165 days a year and I never use the 3d feature since I see no value in it for my fishing. If you want to have 2 displays, you can get 2 e's and network them or on your console, put 2 C's. Tie radar into one and FF into the other. That will give you a stand alone FF/Chartplotter, and a stand alone Radar/charrtplotter. The difference in cost between a c series display and an E series is about $1000 or so.The units use Navionics charts and are updated regularly. I have used many manufacturer's units on boats that I run, and I have found the Raymarine to be my best choice. I owned Raymarine equipment even before they asked me to become a member of their pro staff. A lot of folks have given their opinion as I am doing. Some folks swear by brand A or B based on their experience with them. Many of these folks have not used the Raymarine units so they don't know what the advantages might be. Be sure to look at all the manufactrer's units before you spend your money and if you need more info or help on Raymarine units, please feel free to emal or call me.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
My thoughts and experience

I have a Navnet unit Furuno color sounder Garmin and three new 12 inch E120 Raymarine units on my two boats. The Garmin is a back up unit and quite a nice little unit but does not compare with Furuno or Raymarine overall but much cheaper also. The Raymarine unit have great graphics, detail and much faster than the Navnet but the Furuno equipment is now going on three years old so I'm sure the new units are much quicker. I had trouble with the DMS 300 black box with Raymarine as I had a special more powerful transducer from Airmar (2000 kw) installed in our new boat and it was 1000 kw's stronger than the orginal black boxes were designed for by Raymarine but this now has been corrected to handle the stronger transducers as they are now commerically available to my understanding. I have not seen the new Northstar equipment or Simrad but I'm sure it is top quality. I think you will be fine with any of the mentioned electronics and get the ones that you can afford would be my suggestion as they are all changing and being updated toward digital technology. We have all Raymarine on our new 55 HOOKED UP II but I should mention I belong to the Raymarine Select Captains Program and get support from Raymarine but with the exception of the black box problem am quite happy with their equipment overall and our boat ran over 2000 hours the last year and a half so we put them thru the test. I am sure all the manufactures now make quality electronics and will work quite well for you which ever brand you chose. If Garmin has much better pricing then that might be the one for you as mentioned in previous posts but I am quite happy with Raymarine. Good luck with your pick of electronics

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I have the Raymarine c-80 which is great, zero issues.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have a Raymarine c120, excellent unit. Easy to use. Like anything it's all what you are going to be comfortable with. All these new electronic units are going to give you more then you are ever probably going to need. Check them all out and go with the one you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would check out the new Furuno 3D Navnets, the technology is really cool. You can't go wrong with Raymarine either. Both of these products are now going to digital radar and fishfinders.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
495 Posts
Raymarine E-120 here. Very satisfied. The best advice I can give you is to visit several knowledgeable dealers showrooms. Try all of them. You will know when you find the one that best suits you, regarding ease of use, features, cost etc. Take your time and study all the available features of each, and then make an educated decision. Good luck.

·
Banned
490 Posts
The new Northstar stuff is looking very good! i know quite a few Capts that have had error messages come across the raymarine units! never heard too much negative on the northstar and you can't go wrong with furuno either

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have two Raymarine E series with Sirius sattelite weather service. I also have radar and auto pilot all link in. Awesmome set up and I highly reccomend it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts