BASS BARN banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard from quite a bit of people that the one thing I have to watch for on my pacemaker wahoo is the engine bed tabs. I have a 1968 softchine model and couldn't figure out if infact this model has the issue or the later hardchines??

Anyway, this winter I am planning on removing the engine and transmission so I can tear them down good and get myself a little more confident in them. While I have the engine out what should I be looking for in terms of tabbing failure between the stringers and the hull??? Even if I see no failure is there something I should do with the engine out to make sure that it doesn't fail in the future?

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
I have not owed a pacemaker but have owed two Shamrocks and pulled the motor on my 20' a few times. When you pull an inboard motor make sure to check the engine mount beds for signs of wood rot. Take a long screwdriver and poke in the bolt holes, feel around if all seems hard your good. If you find wet or rotted wood you need to address. Not sure if you are a member of the Shamrock owners website Fishtheclassic.net
If not you may want to sign up. There are some great guys there who love inboards. There is a thread that detailed a full repower. During which the owner found rotted wood in his tab mounts. He showed step by step how to repair...

http://www.fishtheclassic.net/forums/showthread.php?10365-Re-engining-the-Lep-pix

If you sign up you can see the photos.

Once the engine is out there are many things you may want to do.
Clean the blige, replace the bilge pump. One thing many of the Shamrock guys do with the engine out is to inspect the oil pan. Your pan does not sit too low in the blige but painting the pan with POR-15 will help enure that your pan doesn't rust and then leak. I also replace the plugs, inspect the risers with the engine out. Be sure to mark your engine mounting beds so that you place the engine back right where it was before. Oh and be sure to align the motor properly when you replace if not you will have vibration issues :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I had one a few years back that had twinns. It had no tabbing issues but since the power was out I did it over. I have done a few over the years the main area of concern is under the floor pan under the C/C. That is the place they go more offten than not. The stringers will come loose and wear a hole through the hull fairly quick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts