BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will probably sound like a stupid question but, i plan on making some runs out to the 28 mile wreck, cigar, etc. to try my hand at some sharkin(if not shut down) and bluefin/dolphin. If i'm coming up to a well known spot, and there is boats scattered everywhere, what would be the right way to enter the area, knowing of course that there would be chum slicks everywhere? This will be my first year running my boat offshore, and don't want to start off on a bad note.

·
Registered
827 Posts
enter at your own risk.

Wow Donzi, that is a damm good question! I can't wait to hear every one else's response.

Sharking, truth be known, I only do one tournament a year because of shark decline. But when I do, I give guys already set up a very wide berth behind their slick. Over a mile at the minimum.

Tuna grounds are like parking lots once the word gets out. This one is all up to you. My approach is always at low speed,front or side, never thru anyones slick, the minimum mile mark.

Trolling for tuna thru some ones slick is always a way to make new friends. (Sarcasm).:thumbsdown:

But from my experience, you are going to make friends know matter what you do, the majority are the guys on the radio that aren't catching and got to blame someone.

Good luck & tight lines --- I really can't wait to read these responses.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Personaly i will not shark fish within 2 miles of anyone else and try to be as far away from somone sharking when i am running as possable.

Competing slicks are not good for anyone and running over a slick is just plain wrong. I will also not set up for sharking were others are trolling.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
When tuna fishing an area where there are other boat's. I usually get with in .2 miles and slow down to just above iddle. Try to stay away from other people's chunking slicks if possible. This will also allow for you to looks around better too...For that area anyway. I always try to do what I would want other's to do for me.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I usually try to enter the fleet from the upcurrent side so as not to cross slicks. SLow down as much as possible. If drifting, upcurrent is the place to start.
BUT I usually don't get into a fleet if at all possible

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
if there sharking we don't go any wear near them.. don't ride in another boats slick.. tuna chunking same thing.. liek skip said .2 miles and just go in slow.. don't run threw there slick and don't anchor next to them unless your invited in.. if your fishing the rips don't run threw the rips :)

·
Registered
31,727 Posts
Usually if you see a fleet it's probably not the best place to fish.

Don't be afraid to stop based on conditions you see rather then run all the way to the magic x spot. People often pass right by the fish because the GPS hasn't told them to stop yet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'll echo what Bob ECT said. Also, the biggest, biggest mistake 90% of the fishing public makes when entering a fleet or area of boats that is chumming or chunking is they don't know which way the current or tide as some will call it is running. Don't go by the wind, many times the tide is running into the wind or off on side or the other. If guys are chumming, look for the slick, many times it will not be straight back, look to see where the anglers are at, especially on the headboats or large charter boats. If they are all on let's say the port side, then there is a port lead, don't pass by his port side. When you get offshore, canyon or other wise, ask someone who is there which way there lines are going, assuming they are anchored or the direction of the drift. Offshore there is no need to get within less than .75 nm of someone unless he has called you in. Trolling fleet, well, if you tangle or snag another, it's pretty obvious. Also, when you anchor up to chum or chunk, you need to what direction the current is going, the wind is obvious, but the current is what will determine where your baits go. It's a big ocean, gettin' close doesn't mean you'll catch'um too.

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
This will probably sound like a stupid question but, i plan on making some runs out to the 28 mile wreck, cigar, etc. to try my hand at some sharkin(if not shut down) and bluefin/dolphin. If i'm coming up to a well known spot, and there is boats scattered everywhere, what would be the right way to enter the area, knowing of course that there would be chum slicks everywhere? This will be my first year running my boat offshore, and don't want to start off on a bad note.

good question...it all really depnds

if we are talikng sharking then there are alot of things to consider...obviously everyone sharking is gunna have a slick going n they r gunna be friggen pissed if u run through it also you must if they are drifting vs anchored up.... if they are anchored and you wanna drift you need to take into consideration where your drif is gunna take you

for bluefin/dolphin if its trolling then i would just work my way into the pattern of boats working the area if jigging is the game i basically just set up my drift like i would on a reef for flounder fishing keep your distance more than you would while flounder fishing as you sometimes need a significant amount of space to land a tuna

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
We gave up Shark fishing due to people like Striper who came within 0.2 of a mile from us. That is darn near in my cockpit. I was glad to read that Striper "tries to stay out of chumming slicks." Wow, that's nice of him. How do his customers react when the boats Striper crowded start yelling niceties?

Find your own spot where there is no one most of the way to the horizon. Remember the horizon in a small boat is only about 3 miles.

You get a better chance and so do they.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
We gave up Shark fishing due to people like Striper who came within 0.2 of a mile from us. That is darn near in my cockpit.

Find your own spot where there is no one most of the way to the horizon. Remember the horizon in a small boat is only about 3 miles.

Right, but i wasn't talking about sharking. I was talking about fishing a lump or something along those lines where your gonna come up on the spot. Thanks for picking me out though Capt!:thumbsup::confused::) People like me???:thumbsup:By the way...you got a problem with me or something? I know, I'm sorry about your cornflakes:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Donzi
Distance to the other boats important but I think people get upset for two reasons.
- cutting through the slick. Seems to me most of the chum gets underwater fairly quickly which is why you fish your baits at increasing depths as you position them away from your boat. If your deep bait is at 100 ft and 100yds from the boat would stand to reason if you give someone a quater mile you are not going to do much to their slick. Rest assured if fishing is slow they will call u everyname in the book.
-jumping someone slick. You start your drift upwind and too close to a boat already chumming. You are then positioning yourself to intercept any shark that was working its way up that boats slick.

Give people as much room as possible and try not to set up directly in another boats slick ie directly upwind. Good luck and expect to hear some pretty colorful launguage .

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
We gave up Shark fishing due to people like Striper who came within 0.2 of a mile from us. That is darn near in my cockpit. I was glad to read that Striper "tries to stay out of chumming slicks." Wow, that's nice of him. How do his customers react when the boats Striper crowded start yelling niceties?

Maybe You don't see very well so I will make it larger
Skip posted-----

'When TUNA FISHING an area where there are OTHER BOATS"

:nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts:

·
Registered
327 Posts

WOW!!!!:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.