·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audubon and Sierra oppose fisheries council nominees

Wednesday, March 05, 2008
BY BRIAN T. MURRAY
Star-Ledger Staff

Just weeks after the New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council riled environmentalists by nixing a plan to protect a troubled migrating shore bird, Gov. Jon Corzine is under fire on nominees he proposed this week to fill two public seats on the board.
The nominees are Kenneth Jen nings, the assistant director of Hudson County Parks and Recreation, and Eleanor Ann Bochenek, who has a doctorate in marine science and works for Rutgers University's Haskin Shellfish Research Laboratory in Cape May. Senate approval is required before Corzine can fill openings on the council, which is dominated by commercial and recreational fishermen and establishes harvesting quotas for marine species off state shores.
Controversy engulfed the other wise obscure council on Feb. 11, when the panel's five commercial fishermen outvoted four recreational fishermen to stop the state Department of Environmental Protection from indefinitely extending a two-year moratorium on horseshoe crab harvests. DEP biologists say shore birds known as red knots are disappearing because they are not finding enough horseshoe crab eggs on the Delaware Bay shores during their crucial spring migra tion to northern breeding grounds.
Commercial fishermen, who sell the crabs as bait for the conch and eel industries, say other factors are affecting the red knot population.
The council's decision, which will allow the resumption of horseshoe crab harvesting this spring, angered New Jersey Audubon and the state chapter of the Sierra Club. Yesterday they steered that heat toward Corzine's nominees.
Both groups want the seats filled with people from environmental organizations, research scientists not linked to the fishing in dustry, environmental educators or people from the eco-tourism indus try. They said Jennings is a recreational fisherman and Bochenek's research has left her working closely with commercial fishermen.
"We saw what happened on Feb. 11 when people with special interests are appointed to a council like this. The public interests, like protecting the red knot, get screwed," said Eric Stiles of Audu bon.
"The way the council is made up, there are seats for the commercial fishing industry, the recreational fishermen and two spots for public members. These are the public seats the governor is filling, and the people he appoints to them should not come from the commercial or recreational fishing perspective," said Jeff Tittel of Sierra.
But Corzine spokesman Jim Gardner said the nominees' cre dentials are extensive and fit even the two environmental groups' standards. Jennings handles environmental education programs in Hudson County, and Bochenek is not affiliated with commercial fishing operations, he said.
"These are two people deeply committed to public service on a number of levels, and we feel fortunate to be able to present two nominees with their background," Gardner added.
Bochenek said she has worked with both recreational and commercial fishermen while conducting marine research. She also said she has not reviewed enough of the research on red knots and horseshoe crabs to determine how she would have voted on the harvest ban.
"I can't really say right now," she added. "I would base any decision on the available science. If I get on the council, I'd be using science to make any of my decisions."
Brian T. Murray may be reached at [email protected] or (973) 392-4153.

© 2008 The Star Ledger
© 2008 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-9/120472879996180.xml&coll=1

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BIGGESTJACK said:
Anyone Know The Names On This Council???

Chairman Gilbert H. Ewing, Jr.

Councilman Erling Berg
Councilman Patrick Donnelly
Councilman Edward Goldman
Councilman Richard Herb
Councilman Barney Hollinger
Councilwoman Frances Puskas
Councilman Joseph Rizzo
Councilman John Maxwell

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'll bet in a year or two we find out that the crabs had little or nothing to do with the red knots, seems more than coincidental that now they have a feral cat problem on the beaches.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
It just goes to show how shallow groups like the Audubon are !!!!!!

If anything Eleanor Ann Bochenek is over qualified for this council. She is one of the few that have worked extremely hard for all of us. She knows everything pertaining to Marine Biology !!!!!!

Mark my words she will do nothing but make the Council better !!!! She is very comparable to Dr Able.

·
Registered
49 Posts
the enviromental groups would rather see someone who is un-educated and knows little so that they can continue to pursue the quest to stop everything we all enjoy to do, i believe the people appointed are enviromental scientist and if a scientist takes agood look at there flawed research they would clearly see how flawed and one sided it actually is. i think its great and i believe there will be new science coming to light in regards to horseshoe crabs and everyone knows it, i believe that is why they are pushing for immediate action againest the horseshoe crab harvest, once the new science come out they do not stand a chance, i actually hope the people from the audubon society catch the avian virus killing the red knot and i hope it kills them

·
Registered
49 Posts
no way come on we all know cats do not eat birds, just ask larry niles

CTW said:
I'll bet in a year or two we find out that the crabs had little or nothing to do with the red knots, seems more than coincidental that now they have a feral cat problem on the beaches.

·
Registered
49 Posts
they want one of there own in there to twist things around like larry niles does with state money

njdiver said:
Audubon and Sierra oppose fisheries council nominees

Wednesday, March 05, 2008
BY BRIAN T. MURRAY
Star-Ledger Staff

Just weeks after the New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council riled environmentalists by nixing a plan to protect a troubled migrating shore bird, Gov. Jon Corzine is under fire on nominees he proposed this week to fill two public seats on the board.
The nominees are Kenneth Jen nings, the assistant director of Hudson County Parks and Recreation, and Eleanor Ann Bochenek, who has a doctorate in marine science and works for Rutgers University's Haskin Shellfish Research Laboratory in Cape May. Senate approval is required before Corzine can fill openings on the council, which is dominated by commercial and recreational fishermen and establishes harvesting quotas for marine species off state shores.
Controversy engulfed the other wise obscure council on Feb. 11, when the panel's five commercial fishermen outvoted four recreational fishermen to stop the state Department of Environmental Protection from indefinitely extending a two-year moratorium on horseshoe crab harvests. DEP biologists say shore birds known as red knots are disappearing because they are not finding enough horseshoe crab eggs on the Delaware Bay shores during their crucial spring migra tion to northern breeding grounds.
Commercial fishermen, who sell the crabs as bait for the conch and eel industries, say other factors are affecting the red knot population.
The council's decision, which will allow the resumption of horseshoe crab harvesting this spring, angered New Jersey Audubon and the state chapter of the Sierra Club. Yesterday they steered that heat toward Corzine's nominees.
Both groups want the seats filled with people from environmental organizations, research scientists not linked to the fishing in dustry, environmental educators or people from the eco-tourism indus try. They said Jennings is a recreational fisherman and Bochenek's research has left her working closely with commercial fishermen.
"We saw what happened on Feb. 11 when people with special interests are appointed to a council like this. The public interests, like protecting the red knot, get screwed," said Eric Stiles of Audu bon.
"The way the council is made up, there are seats for the commercial fishing industry, the recreational fishermen and two spots for public members. These are the public seats the governor is filling, and the people he appoints to them should not come from the commercial or recreational fishing perspective," said Jeff Tittel of Sierra.
But Corzine spokesman Jim Gardner said the nominees' cre dentials are extensive and fit even the two environmental groups' standards. Jennings handles environmental education programs in Hudson County, and Bochenek is not affiliated with commercial fishing operations, he said.
"These are two people deeply committed to public service on a number of levels, and we feel fortunate to be able to present two nominees with their background," Gardner added.
Bochenek said she has worked with both recreational and commercial fishermen while conducting marine research. She also said she has not reviewed enough of the research on red knots and horseshoe crabs to determine how she would have voted on the harvest ban.
"I can't really say right now," she added. "I would base any decision on the available science. If I get on the council, I'd be using science to make any of my decisions."
Brian T. Murray may be reached at [email protected] or (973) 392-4153.

© 2008 The Star Ledger
© 2008 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-9/120472879996180.xml&coll=1

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
And these are the people that Fote and NJOA tell us we must make nice with.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
njdiver said:
You have published quotes to back up that statement?

No but I have Tax returns from the JCAA they only took 250,000 from Pew. As far as the NJOA while Mr Ant has lied or did not know what was going on within his group a few times. That tells me to Run Forest Run !!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Good post njdiver

For the benefit of Bassbarn members I'd like to say that the NJOA supports the nominees to the council.

I'd also like to say that a call was placed by a sportsman/woman (often maligned by a member or two at Bassbarn) to a spokesperson of an "enviro" group, challanging statements that were made in the press regarding the nominees. Time will tell whether the "enviro" recognizes that his or her statements were inappropriate. What was helpful in this regard was that there was a working relationship between the "enviro" and the person that made the call (it was not me.) This call could possibly remove the pressure being applied by the "enviros" on the nominees. Again, time will tell.

From a big picture perspective most of us believe in the same principle - conservation. Conservation is the "sustainable use of a resource." The key word is "sustainable," because if the resource is used at a rate which is faster than it can not sustain itself - it perishes. A perished reource (fish, wildlife, plant, tree, etc.) benefits no one.

The small picture is the way in which we decide to conserve the resource - each person, and each organization, may promote different approaches. These approaches are important and can cause frustration and friction since there are often competing interests.

Working from a big picture perspective usually provides more benefits for the "resource" in the long run (the "resource" is the most important consideration, not necessarily our personal motives or interests.) So it is in the best interests for all those who are conservationists to try to consider the "big picture" when making decisions about "resources."

Yea, there are times when a line needs to be drawn in the sand and a stand must be taken - the idea is to try to minimize these occurances and keep the best interests of the resource at the forefront. That is my personal philosophy and it is the foundation for many decisions made at the NJOA.

Ant
Chair
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
apmaurosr said:
Good post njdiver

For the benefit of Bassbarn members I'd like to say that the NJOA supports the nominees to the council.

I'd also like to say that a call was placed by a sportsman/woman (often maligned by a member or two at Bassbarn) to a spokesperson of an "enviro" group, challanging statements that were made in the press regarding the nominees. Time will tell whether the "enviro" recognizes that his or her statements were inappropriate. What was helpful in this regard was that there was a working relationship between the "enviro" and the person that made the call (it was not me.) This call could possibly remove the pressure being applied by the "enviros" on the nominees. Again, time will tell.

From a big picture perspective most of us believe in the same principle - conservation. Conservation is the "sustainable use of a resource." The key word is "sustainable," because if the resource is used at a rate which is faster than it can not sustain itself - it perishes. A perished reource (fish, wildlife, plant, tree, etc.) benefits no one.

The small picture is the way in which we decide to conserve the resource - each person, and each organization, may promote different approaches. These approaches are important and can cause frustration and friction since there are often competing interests.

Working from a big picture perspective usually provides more benefits for the "resource" in the long run (the "resource" is the most important consideration, not necessarily our personal motives or interests.) So it is in the best interests for all those who are conservationists to try to consider the "big picture" when making decisions about "resources."

Yea, there are times when a line needs to be drawn in the sand and a stand must be taken - the idea is to try to minimize these occurances and keep the best interests of the resource at the forefront. That is my personal philosophy and it is the foundation for many decisions made at the NJOA.

Ant
Chair

Are Your Eyes Brown ???????

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
njdiver said:
NO, but I bet your pants are!:eek:

We'll see just who's pants are brown when the viewers of this and other massage boards figure out what you are.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
apmaurosr said:
Good post njdiver

Ant
Chair
So your not ashamed of the disaster you 'led' SW anglers into regarding the MPA bill?

And please, tell us how the pots on reef bill fits into your mission statement? (Hint: it doesn't).

I know you are new here but....you realize you are preaching overly simplistic, common sense stuff to some of the most experienced and savvy grass-roots folks around?

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Fishpicker said:
We'll see just who's pants are brown when the viewers of this and other massage boards figure out what you are.
I miss ya, bub. Where are you? You still have my number?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fishpicker said:
As I have never been to "massage boards" I guess we will never know!:D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts