BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 3 years Saltywater Tackle have been opening the jigging and popping season in North Carolina, it is a like a tradition to us and we will very much keep it going,
We have been talking on a daily basis with Captain Ned Ashby from Sea Breeze and Captain Dan Rooks from Tuna Ducks to check on the bite and most important to find out if the fish showed up!
We got the call last week but the weather was not in our favor and a major decision needed to be made as Chris, Hot’s field tester is flying down from California,
I wanted to go badly as I know we will do well, many guys are waiting for the bite report to start before pulling the trigger and commit to a trip, while I know it is a matter of going out and putting in the time, so off we go with a total 4 anglers,
Chris, Paul Ilya and I took the drive and made it right before light,
Greeted by Captain Ned and first mate George and off to the spot.
After 15 minutes trying to raise the fishes up with a spreader bar we saw a fish annihilating the teasers, all 4 of us casted but no love, then all of a sudden Captain Ned shouted, I am marking fish, 4 jigs cut through the water column,
Chris came tight and fights the fish and loses it right next to the boat,
30 minutes goes by and again 2 jigs goes down and I came tight on the new Saltywater Tackle Outer Banks prototype jigging rods, more detail will follow as we are in the process of testing a couple of jigging rods that we are designing for the massive Blue fin tunas in the Outer Banks.
After 40 minutes I landed my first Blue fin tuna and we opened the season, the fish estimated at 320lb and measured 81 inches,
Again I made a cast and came tight with the Race Point 200 and the Shell Shaping twister lure, fought the fish and brought it to color in under 20 minutes, the fish measured 84 inches and estimated at 340lb,
Chris came tight next and he lost the fish right away as she bit through the leader, dropped the jig again and Chris came tight again and he finally landed a nice 80 inch fish estimated at 300lb,
All fishes landed free style and none of us used any harness !!
What a day for us and to open the season, another group will be arriving on Monday. We will keep you guys posted!
Tackle used:
Hot’s One Pitch Slider 56XH
Race Point 200, 250, 300
Valley Hill EXP-55XXB The Maori Spirits
MC Works Southern Deep Ultimate Monster SD538XX
Saltywater Tackle Outer Banks 400 jigging rod (MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW)
Line used: Sunline PE Jigger 8HG, Shout Sasame PE Premium, Varivas SMP
Popping Leader: Saltywater Tackle twisted leader
Lure & Jigs: Shell Shaping Twister,Shout Shab Shab & Stay, Hot’s drift tune, Deep Liner
Enjoy the pictures guys !!

Tight lines
Sami

Saltywater Tackle Outer Banks 400 prototype jigging rod

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wow, what a great post. Thanks for the detailed information - I really wish I could have gone with you guys. I would appreciate you keeping me in mind for the future. Your method for getting these fish in so quickly is remarkable.

If you don't mind, could you tell me what knot you are using and how much mono leader?

Amazing pictures!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Nice report and pics.

Now, on a side not, a sponsor talking up non sponsors. Get the popcorn want to see how the holier than thou handle this ha ha

·
Registered
288 Posts
Wow, what a great post. Thanks for the detailed information - I really wish I could have gone with you guys. I would appreciate you keeping me in mind for the future. Your method for getting these fish in so quickly is remarkable.
If you don't mind, could you tell me what knot you are using and how much mono leader?
Amazing pictures!
Hi Cateree,
No problem , call the shop and put your name and phone number, we will keep you in the loop for the next trip :)
for jigging we use the PR knot and we never ever had any failure, if you do it properly it is one of the best knot, we use 10 to 12 feet of Fluorocarbon leader of your choice from 90lb to 130lb, i landed the fish on 90lb Sunline Shock Leader FC100
as for popping, we actually developed our own system leader and it consist of 3 different part, Hollow, Twisted leader and a bite leader, in the future we intend to sell it in the shop, I've been using our system leader for the past 3 years and never had any failure, my system leader was accounted for all the success landing those big fish ;)
the bite leader is 150lb Fluorocarbon leader.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Always impressed with your ability to hook up and land these big fish in equal to, if not less than, the fighting time as the big tackle.
What exercises to you do to prepare for such a battle? I've gotta imagine your forearms, back and legs have to be in top shape to even hold onto a rod set at +30 pounds of drag.
Last year one of these beasts made short work of me and the other four "strong men" on the boat, before a tackle failure seporated our encounter. I know if I'm to stand a chance against these fish I'll need to improve my technique and my strenght.
Appriciate any advice.
Great job!

·
Registered
67 Posts
spinning reels

First of all, awesome pics! I was wondering what kind of spinning reels you were using... and I have a shimano BR 12000d and was wondering if it could be used for jigging tuna. It has 65lb braid at 300 yards... let me know what you think.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thank you for the kind words Guys :)

Always impressed with your ability to hook up and land these big fish in equal to, if not less than, the fighting time as the big tackle.
What exercises to you do to prepare for such a battle? I've gotta imagine your forearms, back and legs have to be in top shape to even hold onto a rod set at +30 pounds of drag.
Last year one of these beasts made short work of me and the other four "strong men" on the boat, before a tackle failure seporated our encounter. I know if I'm to stand a chance against these fish I'll need to improve my technique and my strenght.
Appriciate any advice.
Great job!
Hi Simple,
I have to agree with you on the fit subject, i rarely drink, i don't smoke and i try my best to go jogging once or twice a week, since i am busy in the house with the boys :D i don't have the time to train like before,
i hate to say it, but experience does count, I've been involved in this kind of fishing for the past 5 years, i learned a lot and i spend a lot of time on the water, i use my head when i fight those fish as each one fight differently then the others, never fight a fish on the run, let him run and when he run tighten that drag,make him burn himself, once the fish settle down then your parts comes to fight and raise his head up, you control the head and you are in control of the fish.
the normal person don't have the muscle that we have to fight those fish and that comes from time spend on the water and fighting time, if you ever in Brooklyn stop by and we will share with you some of our technique and story :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No tuna to report in Oregon Inlet today, 5 boat made it out and not a single boat get a hit,couple of small yellowfin landed,Hatteras had one 200lb bluefin today :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
First of all, awesome pics! I was wondering what kind of spinning reels you were using... and I have a shimano BR 12000d and was wondering if it could be used for jigging tuna. It has 65lb braid at 300 yards... let me know what you think.
Thank you :)
I only use Shimano Stella for this style of fishing and i won't suggest you to target Bluefin tuna on the BR 12000D, the reel will fail you as it is not made up for this application, the twin drag system on the Stella is a plus, if you're targeting fish is less then 60lb you will be in the safe side with the BR 12000D,
anymore question don't hesitate to email us at: [email protected]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts