BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
George,

This has nothing to do with the batts. Do want to keep those props? I've got a guy that can use them.. Email me..

·
Registered
988 Posts
We replace them.
I have a ACR Cat 2 Class 1 Epirb that is due for a battery in 5/12 but want to get it done earlier before I put my boat back in
Can you send me a email with the cost and where I need to bring it to get it to you ?
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I used the guys on Rt. 9 over by Walmart in RioGrande. They were fast and reasonable. They even replaced the antenna and were still the cheapest I found in the C M W W area.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I used the guys on Rt. 9 over by Walmart in RioGrande. They were fast and reasonable. They even replaced the antenna and were still the cheapest I found in the C M W W area.
I think he is talking about EMC( Electronics Marine Concepts ).
I had some problems with them over the last year but it appears that they have gotten rid of a key employee that was the cause of most of their problems and are back on the right track .

·
Registered
13,517 Posts
Just curious here. why in the hell would they design these things so they have to be changed out by a dealer? cannot understand this, I have two scuba computers that I can change the battery out very easily and I take this thing down up to 140 feet and it does not leak.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Just curious here. why in the hell would they design these things so they have to be changed out by a dealer? cannot understand this, I have two scuba computers that I can change the battery out very easily and I take this thing down up to 140 feet and it does not leak.

With you here. Think its nothing but a scam. I'm sure its far from rocket science...if you can even get ahold of the batts yourself. Oh, they'll tell you all kinds of reasons why you cant do it yourself, we look at this, we look at that, oh yes we do

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
With you here. Think its nothing but a scam. I'm sure its far from rocket science...if you can even get ahold of the batts yourself. Oh, they'll tell you all kinds of reasons why you cant do it yourself, we look at this, we look at that, oh yes we do

Lives may depend upon proper function of an EPIRB. The MFGs probably don't want to take a chance with liability of do-it-yourselfers. Some are capable, but I am sure many others are not.

·
Registered
13,517 Posts
Lives may depend upon proper function of an EPIRB. The MFGs probably don't want to take a chance with liability of do-it-yourselfers. Some are capable, but I am sure many others are not.

It's a battery, how difficult can it be to design into the unit to make it user friendly to replace the battery, there are many other life dependent products out there where you can change the battery why is this so difficult and so expensive? it is almost not worth having it done and just buy a new unit.

With that being said, this article provides a good explanation on what is done when they replace the battery, knowing this I realize the company is not just merely replacing the battery but a thorough inspection of the unit. So in a sense it is not just replacing the batt but ensuring the unit will work properly over the next five years.

http://www.boatus.com/husick/techno09_06.asp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts