BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dumb question I read that I should buy new epirb instead of replacing battery in old one mine is up in June What do I do with this one? I also have another in the boat that was up in 2011 came with boat seems like I am starting a collection. I no to cancel noaa.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Who said you shouldn't change the battery? I don't see any issue with having it replaced if you have a quality unit. I bought a $700 Globalfix 3 years ago, I will have the battery changed when it is outdated.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I have a acr that I bought for $335 and to replace battery is $290
It sounds like you bought it used, but what does it cost to get a new one? And what kind of ACR is it?

You may be able to replace it with a PLB, depending on your application. But if it is frequency compliant, still operational, and a new one costs $750, why not get a new battery?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
NEW ACR GlobalFix PRO 406 MHz GPS EPIRB Cat II

$401.28

Just checked, this also comes with a rebate of $173 worth of safety gear if purchased before 5/31/2014.

Depending upon what you want/need with respect to features, it sometimes makes sense to buy another one instead of replacing the battery.
I replaced a McMurdo last year because they wanted $300 for a new battery, not including shipping, and the antenna needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
It's a good business strategy to price the battery close to the price of new, hence they get new sales and limit their liability on existing units in the market space. I'm not sure the technology has changed however.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
dont know but I had one that was 2 years overdue that fell in the bilge and was going off for twelve hours..coast guard got me and I had to run down to get it

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok now that we have cost figured out can anyone tell me what they do with old one. Or maybe I can sell it for $300 to some people that over pay for theirs:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought an ACR eprib for 25$, change the information for my needs at no cost, and replaced the battery in which expired in 2010, for 280$ at LRSE, the guy told me at LRSE that this is good as new for the next 5 years. I know its not new, but the epirb will notify the CC if I need it, just like a new one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts