BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm buying an epirb but not sure what i want. globalfix sat2 rapidfix. i fish inshore to 50miles. i want to be able to take it on other boats.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
fearnofish said:
i'm buying an epirb but not sure what i want. globalfix sat2 rapidfix. i fish inshore to 50miles. i want to be able to take it on other boats.
you want a Category 2 manual deployment model with internal GPS

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks high wire but just so i educate myself whats the reason for this style
High Wire said:
you want a Category 2 manual deployment model with internal GPS

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cat II requires less maintenance. However, you must set it off. Cat I is a float free and will be set off by water depth. But you must keep up with the hydrostatic release mechanism.

Internal GPS will broadcast postion. With out it, the EPIRB will send a broadcast but will not be as accurate.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks bosun thats what i was looking for

·
Registered
465 Posts
epirps are registered to boats.
PLB (personal locator becons) are registered to people and can be taken from boat to boat.
The main difference I can tell between PLB's and EPIRB's is that an EPIRB has a 48 hour batterey compaired to PLB's 24 hour battery life.

In a nut shell...As far as GPS models, they are more accurate and from what people say can be responded to faster since the coast gaurd can get an exact position. They are also better if you are out of country. With nonGPS models, the satelitte needs to pass by twice inorder to get a heading and then the CG will respond. I'm not sure what the responce time is.

I fish mainly inshore on a small CC and went with a nonGPS PLB.

·
Registered
188 Posts
if you want it to be portable you want to go with Cat II instead of Cat I
The difference is the self-deployment of the Cat one. After it is deployed, they are the same

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Simple said:
epirps are registered to boats.
PLB (personal locator becons) are registered to people and can be taken from boat to boat.
The main difference I can tell between PLB's and EPIRB's is that an EPIRB has a 48 hour batterey compaired to PLB's 24 hour battery life.

In a nut shell...As far as GPS models, they are more accurate and from what people say can be responded to faster since the coast gaurd can get an exact position. They are also better if you are out of country. With nonGPS models, the satelitte needs to pass by twice inorder to get a heading and then the CG will respond. I'm not sure what the responce time is.

I fish mainly inshore on a small CC and went with a nonGPS PLB.
Good point! You should consider a PLB. If your GPIRB (EPIRB with internal GPS) goes off, the CG would be expecting to find your boat. There could be some confusion but if the location came up 40 miles offshore, I'm sure they would launch first, ask questions later. Once a helo is up it can home on the signal. Resident expert Capt Scott will weigh in soon.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
If you are gonna regularly jump from boat to boat...a PLB is fine and the better choice considering the rescue system...just remember the PLB doesn't transmit as long and you have to make sure you or someone can hold the antenna well clear of the water/waves.

If you want the EPIRB..then a either Cat I or II is fine. Just pop it out of it's holder and take it with you. You can let the USCG rescue coordination people in Atlantic City know,...although they may act strange if you call and tell them you have it with you on another boat...but the 2 civilian coordinators (good guys I used to work with) should take the info and if not...call me :eek: :D .

I probably wouldn't tell them...just my point of contact that's in the registration what boat I'm on and all the pertinent info for that vessel...because as soon as you set it off the phone call is being made to your POC....and the helo is being readied for immediate launch.

As far as GPS built in....around here (Eastern Seaboard) it saves maybe an hour or so...maybe even way less depending on where the satellites are. The satellite doesn't need 2 passes either. The doppler effect is used to verify the position...just no where near as accurate as the GPS one. Remember the system was designed to rescue you quickly with a regular EPIRB...not the GPIRB. If you have the dough...splurge as it IS your ife depending on it...but the GPS addition is not that critical as soon as the helo starts getting close it's also gonna follow the needle that should be pointing straight at the 121.5 homing signal that the EPIRB is putting out...;)

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Something you may want to think about is getting the Cat I self deployed epirb. Things are easy if there is a problem and you have 5 minutes to get everything ready to get off the boat. But if things go fast, and you know they will, it will be you, a cooler and your self deployed epirb floating around. Just some food for thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts