BASS BARN banner

Epoxy Teaser

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  bbuzzi 
#1 ·
Here's my first shot at an epoxy teaser. The next ones I tied came out alot better (this first one is rounded on the top and also the epoxy doesn't go back far enough on the shank of the hook) Overall though, I'm happy w/ how it turned out. What do you guys think?

Do you really like it and want one? Sign up for the teaser swap I have going on in the surf forum! LOL need to get 5 more guys for it...

#4 ·
Teaser

Nice enough teaser for sure.

We used to do a winter fly swap. Did it for a few years as a matter of fact. Back then, about two years ago now, we had a much more involved group of fly tyers. The names you see on the board now are just about all "new". Most of the guys then were pro tyers or very, very good. Mind you, I'm not saying that some of the guys on here now, can't tie. For many of us, the "fly" is a work of art, a source of pride and personal accomplishment. I'm sure many of those guys still "lurk". For many valid reasons they tend not to participate as of late.
One of the biggest problems we ran into, which is why you're getting very little response, is that not all tyers are created equal. We would do a dozen entrants. Several of us would tie our best creations. The best hooks, lead eyes, epoxy coated heads and perfectly proportioned. Unfortunetly, half the entrants would basicaly tie a tuft of bucktail on a Mustad or worse and submit them. After devoting hours tying some beautiful works, you'd end up with a few flies you'd actualy fish and the rest would be those flies that sit in a container on your bench.
Another thing is that teasers are just cheesy flies. There's no challenge there. Bucktail, flash and thread.
My guess would be that if there was an interest, you'd get a much greater response if there was more of a contest. One fly each guy, the board judges the entries and the winner gets all. But then again, you're looking for teasers, not flies.
There were some great tyers on this forum, guys like JSchmidt, VFfishead,ZAP, Capt Ray and Brad Buzzy. You just don't see thse guys anymore, I miss those days. What a crew we had.
Good luck with your endeavor.
John Yank

#11 ·
Nice enough teaser for sure.

We used to do a winter fly swap. Did it for a few years as a matter of fact. Back then, about two years ago now, we had a much more involved group of fly tyers. The names you see on the board now are just about all "new". Most of the guys then were pro tyers or very, very good. Mind you, I'm not saying that some of the guys on here now, can't tie. For many of us, the "fly" is a work of art, a source of pride and personal accomplishment. I'm sure many of those guys still "lurk". For many valid reasons they tend not to participate as of late.
One of the biggest problems we ran into, which is why you're getting very little response, is that not all tyers are created equal. We would do a dozen entrants. Several of us would tie our best creations. The best hooks, lead eyes, epoxy coated heads and perfectly proportioned. Unfortunetly, half the entrants would basicaly tie a tuft of bucktail on a Mustad or worse and submit them. After devoting hours tying some beautiful works, you'd end up with a few flies you'd actualy fish and the rest would be those flies that sit in a container on your bench.
Another thing is that teasers are just cheesy flies. There's no challenge there. Bucktail, flash and thread.
My guess would be that if there was an interest, you'd get a much greater response if there was more of a contest. One fly each guy, the board judges the entries and the winner gets all. But then again, you're looking for teasers, not flies.
There were some great tyers on this forum, guys like JSchmidt, VFfishead,ZAP, Capt Ray and Brad Buzzy. You just don't see thse guys anymore, I miss those days. What a crew we had.
Good luck with your endeavor.
John Yank
You are right John, we did have some good times, and a lot of laughs. I hope to get back, and participate a bit more this year.

Of course I am sure everybody would get fired up again, if you posted a picture of a new hat. I hear Harry has become a cliff diver in Mexico?

#5 ·
John I can see what you are saying. That is pretty sad that guys wouldnot try to put their best effort forward. I know when I'm tying for myself I am very meticulous by no means a pro,and for the swap I am even more so bc I want guys to get teasers they can use and also want them to say wow when they see them.. I'm still optamistic about the swap.

Got any tips for me on my epoxy? As I said, the others I made aren't rounded and extend further back on the hook. Thanks.

#6 ·
John I can see what you are saying. That is pretty sad that guys wouldnot try to put their best effort forward. I know when I'm tying for myself I am very meticulous by no means a pro,and for the swap I am even more so bc I want guys to get teasers they can use and also want them to say wow when they see them.. I'm still optamistic about the swap.

Got any tips for me on my epoxy? As I said, the others I made aren't rounded and extend further back on the hook. Thanks.
The only tips I would profer as it relates to epoxy, Devcon 2 ton, warm environment so it levels well and can allow the bubbles to rise to the surface and escape and DEFINETLY a slow turning drying wheel. Your epoxy looks fine. I would, if I may, put a little layer of bucktail above that copper flash. If not, it will tend to foul. Also, if I was tying flies for bottom dwellers, I'd incorporate a weed gaurd. It's easy, a single strand of 40 pound floro would do the trick. Word up.........a weed gaurd has to only be stiff enough to push the fly away from an obstruction.

#7 ·
I would like to offer some comments not to criticise, but to comment on what I see in the picture. It appears that your material rotated to the right side of the teaser when you wrapped your thread. I do this occasionaly because I was not paying enough attention. Make your first wrap or two a little loose then tighten them if the material stays put. Even after several wraps you can twist the material back into the correct position if needed.
Your local surf shop may have an epoxy called Sun Cure (yellow label), Ace Hardware sells an ultra-violet flashlight for $16, the epoxy costs about $10 for 8 ounces. This epoxy hardens in about 15 seconds and cures in about 1 minute, under the light. It does not yellow and eliminates the need for a drying wheel. Apply a little Sally Hansen hard as nails nail polish after the epoxy cures, this makes the epoxy crystal clear. Keep up the good work, those teasers will catch fish.

#8 ·
I'll have to try that Capt Frank. I rely on the consistant leveling of epoxy as it rotates. I agree with Frank on the rotation of the material on the hook. Did you put down a base of thread before putting on your bucktail? It helps and helps keep material from "pulling off".

#9 ·
For first epoxy fly it turned out well. A wheel for turning really makes life easy especially if you are makes a few.

John, It is an honor to just to be mentioned with the great tiers. I never considered myself at that level. What I do tie, I always do my best to make it look as good as it can. Bottom line is if you tie a fly and it catches fish you know you are doing something right.

The fun part of tying is that each fly is an indvidual piece of art and the more you tie the more types of flies you want to try. No one knows it all and tying is a continuious learning process, as there are always new materials and methods of tying.

As far as the number of fly anglers participating on the forum. I think many have family responsibilities limiting their fishing time. It is the way things are now a days. It takes two working parents to support the basic life style that we all want so free time is at a premium.

Us guys that live, eat and sleep fishing and have the large amounts of time to do it, is not the norm. It is the same with our fly club. Guys that were super active, who are now married with kids, struggle to find bits and pieces of time to do it.

#10 ·
Thanks for the tips. The shift in material that you are refering to came from when I made the body, not from when I tied the bucktail and flash on. I think they make bodies (ezbody mayber?) for use w/ teasers like this, but I don't have any. So I improvised - I tied some flash near the bend of the hook before I began tieing the teaser, tied the teaser, then wrapped the flash around the shank and hair towards the eye, making the body of the fly, and just tied the flash into the head before tieing if off and adding the hard as nails and eyes.

Is this the 'right' or 'wrong' way? Thanks for the tips.

I'll have to look into that epoxy that dries w/ the UV light

Also, when you talk about being warm for the epoxy, I keep my epoxy in the house and spin them in the house, but do you guys use a heat lamp or anything? Thanks.

#12 ·
Hey Pete. Nice to hear from ya again. I just saw Harry last week. He's got a plan to move down to Florida. I see ZAP fairly often, VF all the time. I'm sure you've seen the posts about the Florida trip in May. I have a "special hat" for that trip, I'll have t post it up.

#14 ·
Looks like both will work just fine. It is always amazing how sometimes the bigger bass will take the teaser in front of a larger plug, when you think they would naturaly want the bigger meal.

I know many put two flies on, one in front of the other when fly fishing. Personally unless you are meat fishing, it takes away from the fight when you hook up with two fish on at the same time fighting each other. I am too traditional, I like the one on one contact better.

On the other hand for guys who don't fly fish, at least they get to see how well a fly works without having to learn how to fly cast.

#15 ·
Looks like both will work just fine. It is always amazing how sometimes the bigger bass will take the teaser in front of a larger plug, when you think they would naturaly want the bigger meal.

I know many put two flies on, one in front of the other when fly fishing. Personally unless you are meat fishing, it takes away from the fight when you hook up with two fish on at the same time fighting each other. I am too traditional, I like the one on one contact better.

On the other hand for guys who don't fly fish, at least they get to see how well a fly works without having to learn how to fly cast.
A good fly angler only needs one fly Capt Ray. :thumbsup: Jeeeeze, if I started using two flies I'd probably be banned from the state of New Jersey. :D It would almost be considered commercial long lineing. :)

#17 ·
Getting better every time

You are getting better with every fly and that should be the goal of every fly tier. The challenge I have is forcing myself to keep a small section of bare shank between the head and eye. This especially holds true tying on open eye hooks because when you close the eye you need a big space for the wire to land on.

It looks like the epoxy is perfect with a little on the shank and a little into the fibers in the back. The only warning I have with epoxy is bonding problems dealing with the type of thread(especially waxed) and glue/cement. This is one you have to figure out by trial and error. Some combinations will result in the epoxy popping off not from wacking it on a rock or fish.
Very nice work and keep it up.

Brad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.