BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time as a Barner even though I've been following the site for a few years reading hundreds of posts and would like to say besides a really, really sharp hook this has got to be the best other fishing tool around. Posts are great and everyone seems more than willing to help each other. Please keep up the good work erverybody!

Since the tournaments have been heating up and I'll be in my first next week I was wondering if your in a billfish tourney where they judge weights but need to be released how do you officially estimate the weight? Also when you report a catch to a committee boat is it done on the honor system or do they need to actually see the catch? Sorry for the rookie questions.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Each fish is reported to a commitee boat on an honor system and this is how you estimate the weight.
For billfish, you measure from the tip of the lower jaw to the fork of the tail.
1) Measure the fish's girth in inches, then square it.
2) Multiply the arrived at figure by the fish's length, again in inches.
3) Divide the final figure by 800 to achieve the approximate weight of the fish.
Confused? Here's an easy to follow example:
Fish's girth=26-inches
Fish's length=55-inches
26 x 26=676
676 x 55=37180
37180 divided by 800=46.475lb

WELCOME TO THE BARN!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Andy,
We got a 64" girth Blue that was 10 1/2 feet from the v in the tail to the v in the mouth, it's eye was bigger than my fist.....650 lbs. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
uppy jr said:
Andy,
We got a 64" girth Blue that was 10 1/2 feet from the v in the tail to the v in the mouth, it's eye was bigger than my fist.....650 lbs. Does that sound right?
You have to measure from the tip of the lower jaw to the v in the tail. If your fish was 10 1/2 feet or 126 inches from the fork in the tail to the v in the mouth it was much bigger then 650. Probably closer to 800 pounds

Billfish and Swordfish are measured from the tip of the lower jaw to the center of the fork of the tail.

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
I use the certified scale at the packout dock for all the weights and they are usually dead on,and besides if you are in a tournament the rules go by length not lbs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andy L. I did see that I just happened to be scanning other tourney rules, I think the Beach Haven White Marlin one and saw that they judged by weight. Also, from a number of posts with pics of Blue Marlin and reading weight estimates I was always wonder how they guessed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
just clarification

Just to clarify - The Beach Haven White Marlin Invitational does not allow any weigh ins of blue marlin at all - its all release...the white marlin however must meet the tourn minimum of 68" LJFL to be put on the scales....and the weight is the final determination for the winning fish. a

And the formula above is always very very close for marlin. make sure to measure girth at the thickest part of the fish.

they used to have a 500 lb minimum on blues...in 1997 the ODIN came in with a 498 lb blue...club record but didnt' qualify for the invitational. i may be mistaken but I believe that was the last year for weigh ins of blues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts