BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy told me today that it will start to break down the glass.He is an engineer,older,and smart so I want to believe him but what about all the boats with fiberglass tanks?

·
Banned
2,690 Posts
nasty...

the ethanol will disolve the styrene from the polyester fiberglass resin-this styrene will remain in soultion through the carb's or the injectors-which ever your engine has,this styrene,will cling to the intake valves causing a really nasty condition.....

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Are you guys sure it is for all ethanol blends? I was told 10% is ok, anything over that must be converted to aluminum tanks, however; they recommend converting anyway because higher blends are on the way.

As for that, I was also told to look for ethanol rated fuel hoses, has anyone heard anything about that?

·
Registered
797 Posts
a 10% ethonal blend will do damage to a fiberglass tank.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It's been my understanding that this is only an issue on glass tanks prior to 1985. After that time there was a change in the type of resin used. Can anyone verify that information?

·
Registered
797 Posts
StickEm, I've heard the same. However, there are no guarantees as to the type of resin used in fiberglass tanks built post 1985. And there are no studies that indicate the long term effect of Ethanol in "newer" fiberglass tanks. Unless the owner of a vessel with a post 1985 fiberglass tank is ready to repower in a year, I wouldn't chance it. Ballpark of $3K to replace the tank(s) or $20K+ for new engine(s)...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
JerseyJeff - Very good point. Starbrite now has a product to help with some of the ethanol issues as well (but not the fiberglass issue). Believe it's called "startron".

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
barnaclebillsmarine said:
Glass tanks must be changed. This is the big hold up on the Bertram repower we are doing.
Do Bertram 31's have fiberglass tanks?

·
Banned
2,690 Posts
tanks....

Millwright said:
yes they are glass tanks and are 222gallons.
the older bertram 31's have either 165g or 180g

the newer 31's have 235g...

the tanks are all fiberglass in the bertrams...

it's been said,that you will be ok with the newer glass tanks-they were made from a vinylester based resin....not allways true...

as myslef and "jersey jeff" explained,the glass tanks need to be pulled and replaced with aluminum....it's really a shame-the glass tanks will last indefinatley,where as the aluminum tanks have a finite life...
if you're installing an aluminum tank,there's differing schools of thought concerning installations and coating on these tanks...everyone has an opinion-be sure to get a qualified opinion,not just a guess....

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are the tanks part of supporting structure of the hull?Can you cut the tanks out and still maintain the integrity of the hull?Seems like it could be hard to get to the tanks on some boats.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
jawz said:
the older bertram 31's have either 165g or 180g

the newer 31's have 235g...

the tanks are all fiberglass in the bertrams...

it's been said,that you will be ok with the newer glass tanks-they were made from a vinylester based resin....not allways true...

as myslef and "jersey jeff" explained,the glass tanks need to be pulled and replaced with aluminum....it's really a shame-the glass tanks will last indefinatley,where as the aluminum tanks have a finite life...
if you're installing an aluminum tank,there's differing schools of thought concerning installations and coating on these tanks...everyone has an opinion-be sure to get a qualified opinion,not just a guess....
The general specifications for the Bertram 31 are:
L.O.A. ..............30' 7"
Beam ...............11' 2"
Draft.................. 3' 1"
Fuel....................175 gal until 1968.
In 1968 fuel was increased to 222 gal​

1 - 16 of 16 Posts