BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overpowered as in ........dropping a 40hp tiller steer on a 14' aluminum boat rated for 25max. just to see how it goes - accelerates, top end, etc ?

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dude - I know. My boats set within max - actually at the max rated.

I'm talking about a little experiment.........mostly on small boats where you can drop the engine on and off without much fuss.............

Some of the best fun I've had with boats is with little rigs on lakes.
Like trying to pull a skier with a 9.5.hp.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Go for it. That sounds like it would be fun. I had a 25hp on a 14ft aluminum. That baby flew! I cant even imagin a 40. Good luck, be carefull.

·
Registered
32,313 Posts
Don't have enough money to buy boats and motors to do experiments.

I did put twin electrics on a row boat once. I think I got from 3mph to 4mph. Docking was easier, too.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
my 14ft aluminum had a 28 hp engine and I felt with 2 people it was under powered....i couldn't get up on plane very easy and top speed wasn't that great either....

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
my 20hp rude moves my 16' skiff just fine, no need for experimentation

my dad did tell me a story however about him and his brother butting a 75hp on a johnboat in the del bay, both of them getting flipped overboard , and the boat running around the bay until it ran out of gas.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
There's a video somewhere on youtube of a guy putting a 40 on a 12 jon. Pretty funny. It looks like an RC boat it's so fast for it's size.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I had a Merc Mark 25 on an alumium boat rated for 7.5 hp.It was a little hairy with just me [I probably only weighed 170# back then] but it was fun.The boat broke apart in the bow after a couple of years and I got a Duranautic that was rated for 20hp.:mad: That old Mers Hurricane was fast.I had 6 or 7 props for it two and three blades from its hydroplane days.With the right prop that little boat used to blow right past my friend 13 Whaler with a 33 hp rude.Seemed like the boat was doing 35MPH+?:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I Had A 12ft Flat Bottom Alluminum Rated Tops 3hp, I Threw A9.9 On The Back And Thought I Was On A Rocket. It Scared The Hell Out Of Me Going Over A Small Ripple

·
Registered
928 Posts
took a buddys boston whaler about 16' with a 90 honda to pecker heads (island beach st park) one day to surf. pulled in behind the park trimmed the motor up all the way. went to leave and thought i had trimmed it all the way down well it looked that way. not sure what happen next but got on the throttle in the inlet and almost flipped it bow over stern. that thing hauled @$$. engine was way to big for it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Had a 14' Wahoo with a 50hp on it . one person trimed up and only 1/4 tank of fuel and that thing flat out would fly :D:D

·
Registered
77,386 Posts
Had a 25hp on a 10 foot john boat as a kid. Had to put my fat friend in the front to reduce the pounding. We lived in WW during the summer and run around in the back. Dad worked in the refinery and only came down on the weekends, so mom ran the show. She saw us flying down the cannel one day and kicked my *** and my friends. Last year (I’m 50 now) my Dad and I were down there and he told me how mom had mention to him that she took my “Power” away after he saw us rowing the boat. Stupid thing to do but fun. Today they have fines and police and insurance and whatever…

·
Registered
304 Posts
man we had a 20hp Mercury tiller on a 11.5' Zodiac inflatable.... that thing would fly!!!!! full throttle was waaaaaaaayyyyy to much...:eek: .... we used it to run around the creeks around the marina.....

·
Registered
518 Posts
When I was a teenager I had a 18 hp evinrude on a 12' aluminum boat . That boat would fly, literally, had to keep all the gear and my buddy forward to help keep it in the water.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
An 18hp on a 12' - wow !!!

I ran a 40hp on my 16' Mirrocraft with side console.
When I first got it, it seemed real fast, then I got used to it. Still fast though.

I ran mine from the Mullica River up past Atlantic City and back lots of times. Snaking it through those cuts and channels when there was no boat traffic........and at speed was cool.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts