1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Looks to me like the Atlantic Cutlassfish or sometimes called a ribbonfish. and it is in the snake makeral family too, havent heard that name since i seen them in Texas

Where was it caught at? Steve???

last year i was at Jims bait n tackle and a guy brought one in caught while fluke fishing in the back. It maybe our state record also not sure.
Guys tell me they are used offshore for bait for blue marlin and other offhore species, Hell id use it too, look at all that silver...lol

OTHER NAMES: Ribbonfish, Silverfish
RANGE: All Florida coasts; the Bahamas and Caribbean.
HABITAT: Open water; enters bays, inlets and coastal streams, often in company with Spanish Mackerel or Bluefin. Most are probably caught by bridge fishermen seeking those species.
DESCRIPTION: The silver body is flat and ribbon-like, with a full-length dorsal fin but only a point where the "tail" should be. The wide mouth is well equipped with fang-like teeth that a Moray might envy, but the Cutlass is not particularly dangerous if handled with caution.
SIZE: Averages about 2 feet long; sometimes to 4 feet, but it is indeed ribbon-like in build and does not weigh much for its length. World record 8 pounds, 1 ounce.
FOOD VALUE: Forget it. Not much flesh, and very bony.
GAME QUALITIES: As lightweight a fighter as its build would indicate, the Ribbonfish never threatens to tear up your tackle.
TACKLE AND BAITS: Usually caught on tackle scaled for Mackerel and Bluefish. Will hit live baits, strip baits and a variety of artificial lures.
FISHING SYSTEMS: Drifting; Still Fishing; Trolling.

[ 06-29-2004, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: FISHNFOOL ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You Got It Joe,,,

Nasty Looking,Huh?

This is what they say about these things,
cutlassfish aren't popular. They steal bait and won't hesitate to use their sharp, barbed teeth on unwary anglers.

*It was caught over on the bathing beach in OC :D

NOT! :D they are common in the Gulf Waters
most likely caught around Texas.....
Neat Looking Fish Though....

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
STATE RECORD IS 6LB 11oz.CAUGHT IN THE MUDHOLE BY MIKE GREEN.THE PREVIOUS STATE RECORD WAS CAUGHT BY GEORGE ALGUARD IN THE WILMINGTON CANYON AND THE MOUNT IS ON THE WALL IN STERLING HARBOR BAIT AND TACKLE,IT IS A BEAUTIFUL MOUNT.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got one two years ago at the GE reef. Didn't have any idea what it was until I researched it.

Anybody ever get a northern stargazer? A friend of my son pulled one up in the GE inlet. Cool fish, but uuugglyyy.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
RaplhD,
I got a stargazer last year in Great Egg Harbor bay, flounder fishin. Put it in the cooler with ice and was still alive after 3 hours!! Thought I had an alien aboard!!

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Watch the shock from those stargazers!! It won't knock you over, but it'll sure startle you. We got lots of little ones in hand seines right off the Delaware Bay beaches.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Used to always catch stargazers while tossing 4" sassy shads for stripers at IBSP. One day in Sept. 2 years ago I caught about a dozen sea robbins and about 8 stargazers all on a pearl 4" sassy shad. Last year I didn't catch any which suprised me.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Northern Stargazer

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by eddy:
will stargazers shock you if you touch the spot on them? or is that just a made up story?
Fact No Myth....
Stargazers are very strange fish. Stargazers have the unique ability to produce an electric shock from an organ located between their eyes on the top of their head. So be careful when handling them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.